introduction email...

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Im having some trouble writing an introduction email to a wedding photographer.
I hope to get some work being an assistant but im unsure on how to get the wording perfect.
Basically, my girlfriend and I went to a wedding fair to get an idea on how much people charge for photography, since I might be doing some of my own soon. We are planning on getting married oneday but went there as if we were planning our own wedding.

I think I have a fair amount to offer since I have had a lot of experience with editing and a fair experience with photography. However, how do I tell her and word it since I basically lied to her to start with.

Don't email, call.

I get emails like this on a regular basis and assume that they've not gone just to me, and bin them. A phone call shows a bit more balls.

Be completely honest about the fair - if you're doing one you have to assume that a percentage of 'punters' are other photographers looking for info.

ah right ok, any thoughts on what I should say?

My Email was going to be this,

I recently attended the wedding fair with my girlfriend and stopped by your stall. It was great to chat with you and I am very impressed with the work you do. Although we do plan to get married in a year I myself am trying to start a career as a photographer and would like the opportunity to help you on in anyway I can, hopefully as an assistant.
I have been using cameras for a number of years and have also been heavily into Photoshop for almost 8 years, through being a computer games artist for 2 years and also my own projects. I have just finished a film degree at Canterbury and my final film has won two awards so I truly wish that my future is in camera's. Since leaving University I have been making DVDs for a number of people and managed to put together a fully featured DVD of an outside production of A Midsummer Night's Dream, which sold well over 100 copies through the local villages. Although my past has been mainly motion work I hope to continue in stills photography. Any examples of my work can be viewed on my website below.

I would be very interested in meeting with you if you require any help.

Thank you for taking the time to read this email, I hope to hear from you soon.

If I am honest, that doesn't really read very well, so certainly dont send it now ;)

Just call them, be friendly, and straight to the point. Mention you've already met and take it from there, get a rapport going. They can only say no!

Good luck (y)

If I am honest, that doesn't really read very well, so certainly dont send it now ;)

Just call them, be friendly, and straight to the point. Mention you've already met and take it from there, get a rapport going. They can only say no!

Good luck (y)

Thanks, i'll not send that then.
When people say, they can only say no? Does that mean they wont say yes ;)

well, I called and she has someone that helps her but she took my name incase anything comes up. I followed up with a quick email with my web address and mobile.

Although im thinking that based on the work on my website, im not sure a wedding photographer would hire me?

Are you looking for work as an assistant or second shooter? Big difference between the two...

I believe I have the equipment to be a second shooter, although someone can surely prove me wrong ;)
Basically I have done a lot of work assisting in film crews and my idea was to start as an assistant and then move to main camera (this maybe different in stills work). Working as a 2nd photographer would be very useful, but i wonder if im ready...

Maybe I'm too old skool but assistant to me is not shooting, it's fetching, carrying, having what I need the second I need it. Assistant's turn up with a toolbox not a camera. So that might be something to bear in mind when approaching togs for some work.

I believe I have the equipment to be a second shooter,
As a pro for many years and the also the recipient of lots of calls just like yours I can say that this would result in just about every pro I ever knew refusing to even meet you.

It gives the impression that you believe equipment is what makes a pro. It isn't. Talent is what makes a pro.

As a pro for many years and the also the recipient of lots of calls just like yours I can say that this would result in just about every pro I ever knew refusing to even meet you.

It gives the impression that you believe equipment is what makes a pro. It isn't. Talent is what makes a pro.

good advice, thank you

quick edit, I don't believe the gear I have is anywhere near close to pro, i never meant for the intention for me to be arrogant at all, sadly it seems I came across that way. Apart from talent is there a level of decency at which your equipment must equal in order to be considered. I'm sure this depends on the level of the photographer i am addressing but I mean as a standard rule.

My work wasn't exactly typical - being a mix of very high quality technical studio work using 10X8 minimum and up to 14X12, and location jobs in difficult places (often half way up mountains) using 5X4 where possible and 35mm when it wasn't. So the following comments apply to my specific situation. Other pros are going to be different.

My approach was simple.
Anybody who rang was always ignored because they expected me to interrupt work to talk to them.
Anybody who listed their kit but didn't send samples was always ignored as I had no need for kit collectors.

Anybody who sent (or dropped off) samples of work and either stated a date they would collect or included a prepaid stamped envelope for return of samples got consideration. It wasn't often I could use anybody as you needed to be a reasonable rock climber/mountaineer, able to abseil, willing to camp out for days at a time.

I always took time to review samples and passed on the good ones to other pros who might be able to use the person concerned. That way I built up goodwill from the applicants and the pros. Making easy to borrow somebody if I needed a second pair of hands for a one off job. Anybody I did borrow was always allowed time to use the kit for a few shots of their own. I then provided a letter to state the pics were entirely their own work.

I always provided kit - photo stuff, climbing boots, outdoor gear etc. You don't expect a truck driver to provide his own truck and I didn't expect staff to use their own cameras.

Back