Introduction Post and First Camera Choice (Panasonic Lumix GX80/GX85 or Sony Alpha A6000)

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I feel this is a good welcome post to introduce myself and for advice for my first camera!

I was initially stuck between an Olympus OMD-E10 Mark II and a Panasonic Lumix GX80/85 and after seemingly deciding on the GX80/GX85 stumbled upon the Sony A6000 which also has great reviews.

A couple of points:

1. This will be my first camera, an upgrade from a phone camera.

2. I'm interested in urban, street and night photography.

3. I'm not too fussed about the 4k video that the Panasonic offers.

4. I'm aware that the A6000 is 24mp and the GX80/GX85 is 16mp but will this impact my photos too much? If I choose the GX80/GX85 will the photo quality of what I shoot (night, urban, street) be much worse? Will i still get great pictures as a beginner with the GX80/GX85?

5. I prefer the look of the GX80/GX85 purely from an aesthetic point of view.

I would really appreciate everyone's help and advice, thanks!

Hi Thomas, And welcome aboard TP. "Enjoy".

Good morning Thomas, welcome to the forum :welcome:

:fuji:

Hi Thomas and welcome. :)
It’s very hard to recommend a specific camera. Do you have a camera store nearby that you can visit? I can generalise and suggest you look for something fairly compact for street photography and something with good high ISO performance for night photography. Probably lens selection will be more important. 24mp vs 16mp will not make a huge difference, with the usual provisos about cropping or very large prints.
If visiting a camera store is out of the question, try to narrow down your choices if you can and then look for reviews on the web and even YouTube.
Good luck.

Hi Thomas and welcome to here
WELCOME1.gif

All I can suggest about your camera-choices is to visit a good camera-shop and try them both to see how they fit your hands, are the buttons/dials easily found? Are you squishing your fingers up to reach them? Is it comfortable to hold for longish periods of time without hand-shake creeping in? All these are just as important as the camera's specs when photographing ;)

Back