Inverkip chimney demolition - Sun 28th - 10pm

Edit My Images
Yes
On Sunday the 28th of July at 10pm the largest free standing structure in Scotland will be demo'd. Should be something different to watch on a Sunday night, especially with such a lovely view (and hopefully a nice sunset).

inverkip_zpsa01395db.jpg

I had a look last weekend at around 10pm and found this location to be the clearest view, it's located here ;

https://www.google.co.uk/maps?ll=55...Hu-yA&cbll=55.90613,-4.879109&dg=opt&t=m&z=11

There's usually a lot of information about demos online but there's very little about this one.

So, anybody going?

Edit ; Found a map

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b...explosion_20130725_1501160535_zps32f76752.jpg

Direct link for larger res.

Last edited:
Was hoping to be able to make this, but family commitments have intervened and there's no way I'll be able to manage it now.

Looks like a fine location you've found there: the Calmac ferry trip from Wemyss Bay to Rothesay just won't be the same without it dominating the skyline.

There have been two big demolitions in Dundee over the past couple of years, and the biggest problem was catching the start - because light travels faster than sound there's a big danger that it will start sliding down before you know anything's happening.

It's worth finding out whether local radio's covering it, and, if so, staying tuned in on (on your phone if it's so provided - otherwise anything else small which you can use with a headphone stuck in one ear: you can even get headphone FM radios in pound shops now): that way you should have a fairly accurate warning beforehand, as well as knowing if there's going to be a delay.

Are you thinking of shooting in continuous mode? I only ask because I'm aware of some folk who ran into buffer issues before the recent Dundee demo was finished, and was very glad I'd decided to shoot in video mode instead - these events only happen rarely, and there's no second chance!

Hope it all goes well for you.

Was hoping to be able to make this, but family commitments have intervened and there's no way I'll be able to manage it now.

Looks like a fine location you've found there: the Calmac ferry trip from Wemyss Bay to Rothesay just won't be the same without it dominating the skyline.

There have been two big demolitions in Dundee over the past couple of years, and the biggest problem was catching the start - because light travels faster than sound there's a big danger that it will start sliding down before you know anything's happening.

It's worth finding out whether local radio's covering it, and, if so, staying tuned in on (on your phone if it's so provided - otherwise anything else small which you can use with a headphone stuck in one ear: you can even get headphone FM radios in pound shops now): that way you should have a fairly accurate warning beforehand, as well as knowing if there's going to be a delay.

Are you thinking of shooting in continuous mode? I only ask because I'm aware of some folk who ran into buffer issues before the recent Dundee demo was finished, and was very glad I'd decided to shoot in video mode instead - these events only happen rarely, and there's no second chance!

Hope it all goes well for you.

Thanks.

From what I've read online there's a lot of protected wildlife in the area (especially birds) so I hope they deploy a warning blast a few minutes before the demo.

I'll be shooting 2 videos (24fps and 60fps) for this and I'll let my compact do the continuous shooting ; It starts buffering after about 80 jpegs on 5fps. Hopefully that will be enough but over the last couple of demolitions i've been to recently, i haven't shot any images just video.

Just incase anyone else is reading, I'm hearing rumours on the internets that it's been cancelled:

"Abandoned Scotland
12 hours ago via Mobile
For anyone who is considering heading down to Inverkip for the chimney demolition tomorrow night it might not be going ahead after all. Its not just down to weather either, which isn't looking terribly great. We will try and find out more information tomorrow and give you an update."

:thumbsdown:

Thanks.

Just incase anyone else is reading, I'm hearing rumours on the internets that it's been cancelled:

"Abandoned Scotland
12 hours ago via Mobile
For anyone who is considering heading down to Inverkip for the chimney demolition tomorrow night it might not be going ahead after all. Its not just down to weather either, which isn't looking terribly great. We will try and find out more information tomorrow and give you an update."

:thumbsdown:

According to Radio Clyde news it's still on for 10pm tonight (y)

It's going to be a busy place according to the Beeb website, and the cordon should already be there.

An exclusion zone of 600m was put in place from 17:00, with debris expected to reach a maximum of 150m.

About 70 police officers will be present, with a further 40 security staff based around the perimeter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-23479026

Problem is that it'll be quite dark by 10 pm if the sky is couded over.

Last edited:
tumblr_mqo81vdHP31qlu7e5o1_400.gif

Had to make an emergency detour to find a new spot 45 minutes before the demo. I've never been to a demolition that was so busy. Every inch of pavement was taken up with cars.

I was more going for the sight that anything photographic, even my video was pushing on the max ISO, so it's all a bit noisey. I thought they could have used flood lights to light it up a little. Oh well.

tumblr_mqo81vdHP31qlu7e5o1_400.gif

[snip]I was more going for the sight that anything photographic,

Absolutely - and I'm sure anyone looking back at your version of an event which can never be repeated will appreciate that it presents a clear record of what happened, particularly given the issues of your new location hunt and the poor available light - nice work!

Bearing in mind the huge costs in security and manpower that goes into these occasions and the sizeable public interest they generate, you'd think the organisers might catch on to setting up a prime, protected, viewing area with parking for a few hundred people or so, pre-bookable at a charge of, say, £20: I'm sure there'd be no shortage of takers....

One of the best viewing places for the event was the war memorial, in almost exactly the same spot that the OPs photo was taken. I arrived at about 7 o'clock to get a good spot and by 9 the whole area, surrounding beaches and the loch were absolutely mobbed.

I have a video up which as far as I am aware, is the only one of substantial length featuring both the 5 minute and 1 minute warning, the blast and around 30 seconds of the aftermath. The bit we were standing was shoulder to shoulder so there's a lot of chatter on the tape: http://youtu.be/AiOHa1lYcgk

The atmosphere that night was fantastic and no doubt some TP members were in attendance. It was a great shame to see something which I had gazed at as a child to come down in only a matter of seconds.

Back