Invisible Children - #KONY2012

In all honesty I don't really give a rats ass about some videographer that made a flashy 30 minute video and edited in after effects. I Also don't care what they do with the money or how they spend it, nor am I bothered about their own publicity agenda. What I do care about is the 30,000 kids that have been tortured, mutilated, raped and killed for over 2 decades and now a bunch of people as misguided as some think they may be have brought more attention to this in a week than any other news story documentary or book has done in 20 years.

Everyone on the internet (not just here) is trying to concentrate more on attacking the charity organizers and their goals and its taking the attention away from what they are trying to do. It would amuse me to see some of these people go to Africa and explain to these kids that they are trying to inform people not to use this charity because of a few morale differences.

This time last week hardly anyone knew who Kony was, let alone what he looked like, so if by chance some guy is riding his bike down a dirt path and spots kony in a tent at the side of the road, recognising him from the Kony 2012 video and that man on the bike is the cause for Kony to be captured and arrested, then isn't it all worth it in the end?

I'm sorry but thats a load of *******s, it couldnt be more *******s if it was wrapped in a soft leather scrotal sac and hung between the rear legs of a bull.

a) this has hardly brought any attention anywhere that really matters - just a bunch of sad cases talking about it on social media and thinking they are making a difference (the politicians and big buisnesses already know - but don't really care , and the average uk voter isnt going to vote on issues like this in order to make them care) - when you bought your mobile phone did you think about where the minerals in the circuit boards came from ? (these are largely found in rwanda and congo and are part of what the fighting is about)

b) have you actually been to africa ? (I strongly suspect not), I have and i can tell you for a fact that most of the people on the ground in these areas are trying to stay allive and will neither know nor care what any western charity is doing - except of course for the ones who are actually spending the money on helping them stay alive ( I was in a little village on the malawi mozambique border helping build an ophanage/school/clinic - we were all volunteers who'd paisd our own way there and paid for our own living expenses - and I met people who'd survive the renamo/frelimo confict and who told me of their own experiences of some of the things done... and I can say without a shadow of a doubt how little of a toss they gave about what some keyboard warrior in the uk says or does)

c) If you seriously think Kony is going to be sitting at the side of the road waiting to be recognised then thats beyond naive ... he'll be in an armed camp with a bunch of armed and quite frankly psychopathic fighters and anyone who happened to 'cycle past' would most likely be stopped, robbed, beaten and problbly hacked to death

and

d) do you really believe that people out in the sticks where Kony is are watching this video on their computers :thinking: if these places are very lucky they run to a generator or a couple of solar panels to run a fridge to keep the medical supplies from spoiling.. most if them don't even have that -and they certainly don't have the time to go for a nice cycle in the countryside ... they are too busy trying to stay allive :bang:

Forum rules prevent me from using the word that best sums up that level of naivity , but you really need to get out from behind your keyboard and find out what the real world you are so keen on spouting about is really like

Last edited:
In all honesty I don't really give a rats ass about some videographer that made a flashy 30 minute video and edited in after effects. I Also don't care what they do with the money or how they spend it, nor am I bothered about their own publicity agenda. What I do care about is the 30,000 kids that have been tortured, mutilated, raped and killed for over 2 decades and now a bunch of people as misguided as some think they may be have brought more attention to this in a week than any other news story documentary or book has done in 20 years.

Everyone on the internet (not just here) is trying to concentrate more on attacking the charity organizers and their goals and its taking the attention away from what they are trying to do. It would amuse me to see some of these people go to Africa and explain to these kids that they are trying to inform people not to use this charity because of a few morale differences.

This time last week hardly anyone knew who Kony was, let alone what he looked like, so if by chance some guy is riding his bike down a dirt path and spots kony in a tent at the side of the road, recognising him from the Kony 2012 video and that man on the bike is the cause for Kony to be captured and arrested, then isn't it all worth it in the end?

:shake:

From this post it would seem you don't really understand at all

not sure how Yv's post made you think that she was saying that kony shouldn't be caught :cautious:

It was just a link to how what some of the people there think about the campaign

Correct Joe, thankyou, I was simply adding another link that had popped up regarding it on the Telegraph home page. I have not voice an opinion either way. ;)

yeah your right, screw em, forget about them, they ain't our problem, sorry for caring

archamedes said:
yeah your right, screw em, forget about them, they ain't our problem, sorry for caring

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone that doesn't want to help, so stop creating an issue out of nothing. The real issue is that people are being convinced by a video that is deliberately misleading to donate money to a charity that doesn't seem to be using it as effectively as they should. The solution? Donate to other charities where you know where your money will go. It's all about making an informed decision before letting your ego get in the way.

I do understand your points, but as usual if you don't follow the sheep on this forum and agree with the majority then you are obviously the one in the wrong.

I do understand your points, but as usual if you don't follow the sheep on this forum and agree with the majority then you are obviously the one in the wrong.

it would appear not considering what you wrote above. It smacks more of "because we don't agree with you you are spitting the dummy"

it would appear not considering what you wrote above. It smacks more of "because we don't agree with you you are spitting the dummy"

and suprisingly Joe and i are in complete agreement :LOL:

@Archamedes - you didnt answer my question , have you been to africa and seen what its actually like on the ground ? If you want to put your passion for helping the unfortunate to good use I can send you some links to charities that actually make a real difference with whom you could go and volunteer. You'll need to put your life on hold for about 6 months, and raise about a grand to cover your air fare and living costs - and you'll be expected to graft hard and relate to african villagers on equal terms, and share the hazards of village life.

course if that all sounds a bit like hard work you could just post some tweets from your living room instead...:thinking:

Last edited:
I'm guessing getting rid of him while the country is so fragmented governing wise would only mean he/s replaced by another bully wanting more than just survival? ..and so the trend continues.

This

although theres no doubt that Kony would be no loss , there are bigger problems than just one man and removing Kony won't actually do anything to improve the lot of the average villager who finds themselves living in a warzone

Look I don't want to argue anymore nor do I want to keep on with this debate, I'm feeling really rough at the moment got a chest infection and buggered up sinuses so I'm a bit ratty.

To answer your question, no I haven't been to africa and I would go out there and help being as work for me isn't happening at the moment, after so it really would be ideal, but the fact of the matter is I don't have £1000 to set myself up to go out there and to be there for 6 months, yes it would feel great helping them out and making a difference, but I would also come back to have my dole cut off because i am not actively seeking work and helping out in africa in their eyes is no excuse. Yes you can accuse that of being a cop out, but when the work is done and you come home to reality, I'd end up with a whole load of more problems to face, including an autistic child to look after.

Last edited:
At the end of the day i don't really care whether you go or not (if you or anyone else wants to look into it seriously pm me and i'll send you some links and stuff) but my core point is that if you've never been out there don't be banging on about the 'real world' for these people especially if you think that their real world includes the luxury of watching videos on utube.

oh and btw you are wrong about the dole - you sign off while you are out of the country because you are doing unpaid work then when you come back you are a new claim - although many people find that having worked with people with real problems and no dole safety net , they actually don't want to sign on again and are instead inspired to sort their own lives out.

Last edited:
At the end of the day i don't really care whether you go or not (if you or anyone else wants to look into it seriously pm me and i'll send you some links and stuff) but my core point is that if you've never been out there don't be banging on about the 'real world' for these people especially if you think that their real world includes the luxury of watching videos on utube.

oh and btw you are wrong about the dole - you sign off while you are out of the country because you are doing unpaid work then when you come back you are a new claim - although many people find that having worked with people with real problems and no dole safety net , they actually don't want to sign on again and are instead inspired to sort their own lives out.

How many people do that then?

Well I did

point is if you spend 6 month, a year or whatever working with people who've survived things far worse than a bit of a recession and unemployment (like having their homes burnt down and familes murdered - or even being forced to shoot loved ones themselves, and no i'm not exagerating), and to whom a good job means they've got enough money that they can afford food for all their children, and to whom luxury might mean being able to buy some meat , or to repair the hole in the thatch etc.

If you've got any self respect at all when you come back to the UK where we can take such things as food , clean water etc for granted you arent going to start moaning about how the only jobs available are boring or hard nasty work or whatever.

Anyone can make excuses but anyone can also take action to improve their lot - the difference is the former is easy the latter takes balls, and that difference encapsulates what self reliance is about. And if some poor basterd in the african bush who's had his family murdered and everything he's worked for destroyed can get up on his feet and start rebuilding his life, what excuse does anyone in the UK have ?

Well I did

point is if you spend 6 month, a year or whatever working with people who've survived things far worse than a bit of a recession and unemployment (like having their homes burnt down and familes murdered - or even being forced to shoot loved ones themselves, and no i'm not exagerating), and to whom a good job means they've got enough money that they can afford food for all their children, and to whom luxury might mean being able to buy some meat , or to repair the hole in the thatch etc.

If you've got any self respect at all when you come back to the UK where we can take such things as food , clean water etc for granted you arent going to start moaning about how the only jobs available are boring or hard nasty work or whatever.

Anyone can make excuses but anyone can also take action to improve their lot - the difference is the former is easy the latter takes balls, and that difference encapsulates what self reliance is about. And if some poor basterd in the african bush who's had his family murdered and everything he's worked for destroyed can get up on his feet and start rebuilding his life, what excuse does anyone in the UK have ?

Well said!

Well I did

23 people are chasing every job on average, telling them not to moan their house is repossessed because someone in Uganda had a terrible time, and is rebuilding their life is scant consolation.

23 people are chasing every job on average, telling them not to moan their house is repossessed because someone in Uganda had a terrible time, and is rebuilding their life is scant consolation.

i'm not going to get into a political argument with you loud burp - but suffice to say that having your house repossed (while undoubtedly traumatic) is not on the same scale as being forced to shoot your mother and father, nor is having to sign on to the welfare state comparable to watching your children starve because you can't afford food

Anyway you seem to have missed my point , which was that if someone who's been forced to murder his family, fight for a cause in which he doesnt believe, and then been left for dead when wounded has the courage and fortitude to pick himself up and start over , someone in the UK who's lost his job has very little justification for sitting on his arse like the state owes him a living (and i'm not reffering to anyone here in particular).

The bottom line being that in any circumstance you can either rely on yourself or rely on others - and thats as applicable to getting off welfare in the Uk as it is to breaking the reliance on Aid in war torn africa.

i'm not going to get into a political argument with you loud burp - but suffice to say that having your house repossed (while undoubtedly traumatic) is not on the same scale as being forced to shoot your mother and father, nor is having to sign on to the welfare state comparable to watching your children starve because you can't afford food

Your point of someone always has it worse is as old as Aesop, and guess what? It doesn't make anyone feel any better. As for the welfare state, you just unwittingly made a case for it as how many children starve to death here with the welfare safety net in place?

Anyway you seem to have missed my point , which was that if someone who's been forced to murder his family, fight for a cause in which he doesnt believe, and then been left for dead when wounded has the courage and fortitude to pick himself up and start over , someone in the UK who's lost his job has very little justification for sitting on his arse like the state owes him a living (and i'm not reffering to anyone here in particular).

A severely psychologically damaged, battle weary rural Ugandan tilling their farm will be about as relevant to a UK jobseeker as logic is to your point. If you can find a way to get 23 people into 1 job then you better phone David Cameron.

The bottom line being that in any circumstance you can either rely on yourself or rely on others - and thats as applicable to getting off welfare in the Uk as it is to breaking the reliance on Aid in war torn africa.

I'm glad we have a safety net there for people who need it, and that we aren't in a position like the most vulnerable people of Uganda or other parts of Africa forced to watch children starve.

either you are deliberately trolling or you totally miss the point, but once more from the top

There are two ways of looking at a situation

one is to cry, whine, blame others and make excuses .. oh its so hard, i just can't cope, theres like 23 people going for every job / the war has wrecked my homeland, i'm damaged, i need foreign aid etc

the other is to take responsibility for your own situation and actively do something about it - i'm not talking about fixing the country i'm talking about individual mindset

the self reliance charities basically exist to help people in places like uganda/mozambique and wherehave you to take the latter line and help them help themselves

and my point is that if they can do it so can a UK jobseeker - don't make excuses, dont keep dwelling on the fact that theres a lot of other people out of work , get off their arse and make it happen for themselves rather than waiting for nanny state to do it for them.

And my other point is if you spend 6 months or so working with people who've suffered trauma that we can't even begin to imagine it puts our petty problems into perspective and if we have any self respect at all stops us thinking like the victims we arent.

( and while this isnt about saying 'look at me' I was unemployed in the last recession - and i got off my arse and made it happen for myself... in short terms I set up my owen business as a contractor and took the work no one else wanted to do... got some slime you want shoveled out of ditches for 50 quid a day yep can do, got a bunch of semisubmerged willows you need clearing., i'm youre man - I didnt cry about how that was a lot of work for not much cash, or how i didnt like working in a freezing cold pond in november and the point I was making is that the inspiration for that came from seeing people who were much worse off than i'll ever be helping themselves.

Clear now ?

(if not please don't bother putting yet another post up full of excuses about how its not the job seekers fault and the government should do more etc as if you don't get the idea of self reliance by now i'm not going to waste anymore time trying to explain it... maybe you should get your arse over to africa and see for yourself :LOL:)

Last edited:
the other is to take responsibility for your own situation and actively do something about it - i'm not talking about fixing the country i'm talking about individual mindset

and my point is that if they can do it so can a UK jobseeker - don't make excuses, dont keep dwelling on the fact that theres a lot of other people out of work , get off their arse and make it happen for themselves rather than waiting for nanny state to do it for them.

Yeah the last time i marched into an office and told an Employer I'm going to work for him and I'm not leaving until i get a payroll number, security was called and providing I do not go 100 feet near him or his office, I should be okay. Obviously thats a joke, but just being determind and have a 110% go attitude doesn't always work for everyone, it depends on your area, the amount of work and the amount of people who are also just as determined as you.

Last edited:
True - but then at least you are trying to find work, my real beef is with people who go the 'oh its all pointless i'll just live on the dole' route

That said theres more than one way to skin a cat - for example my point above about contracting , the people who've set up LETs schemes, the people who are working on community supported agriculture projects, people who are volunteering, learning new skills, increasing their employability etc etc

I'm not saying its easy , but my point is that if we wait for the politicians to fix the country we'll be waiting a damn long time (and thats not a political point - its equally true of all political hues) so what we need in the Uk is exactly the same as whats needed to fix various third world crap holes - ie for people to rely on themselves and eventually each other

anyway we are substantially off topic now - perhaps we should let the OP have his thread back :LOL:

Last edited:

That again the problem,I was in Ungada at the time,and a few other places like this,and yes we were telling the world,but no one was listening,are you now saying to me you couldnt be bother to read anything about what was happening at the time and listen to the people speaking out about it,and saved lives at the time ?.
Even if someone captured Kony,the lives that could have been saved are now gone.
But I suppose it will give the video group it's 15min of fame :shake:

just to update the co founder of invisible children has recently been arrested in san deigo for masturbating in public and vandalising cars while drunk or high

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...o-invisible-children-kony-2012-142970255.html

really inspires you to give him your cash doesnt it ? :LOL:

BSM you'll attach yourself to anything that brings across your point. Having one off in public? What are the odds? How about you BSM, come on now, ever shined or spanked one out in peoples view? come on now, tell the truth!

BSM you'll attach yourself to anything that brings across your point. Having one off in public? What are the odds? How about you BSM, come on now, ever shined or spanked one out in peoples view? come on now, tell the truth!

strangle enough not - while when younger I was often complely trolleyed in public I've never felt the need to bash the bishop in public, or to randomly vandalise people cars .

Surely you arent saying that you'd consider this normal or acceptable behaviour ?

My attention span isn't long enough - get the facts across in the first few seconds and it's more accessible.

just to update the co founder of invisible children has recently been arrested in san deigo for masturbating in public and vandalising cars while drunk or high

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...o-invisible-children-kony-2012-142970255.html

really inspires you to give him your cash doesnt it ? :LOL:

Of course he wasn't arrested, and one person said he was masturbating - I've not seen any other story that attributes that quote to the SDPD.

The fact the bloke has had some kind of breakdown isn't nice. The fallout from this incident online was almost as depressing as the uptake in the initial video. Still doesn't stop me thinking he's a manipulative, egotist though.

My attention span isn't long enough - get the facts across in the first few seconds and it's more accessible.

One of the most viral videos ever says it's accessible enough. Sadly facts have little to do with the video, which is kind of the problem with it.

well yes and no - he was detained but not charged because SDPD decided that medical treatment would be more appropriate than punishment

on the other hand it just confirms my opinion that he's a collosal wnaker :LOL:

I think the fact that the organisation has been linked to homophobic, anti choice, creationist religious lunatics already firmly cemented their status as a bunch of b*stards (I can't believe this site censors words, ugh).

Despite this, I'm still glad that the video went viral. With the world so focused on the Middle East, much of Africa's terrible hardships go largely unnoticed. Having spent 25 years of my life in Africa, I've always known about the atrocities that go on there, so it was good for me to see some wider attention being drawn to these situations last week. I hope that it will inspire some people to consider supporting decent charities who really are working hard to improve things in this continent which is so ravaged by civil war, disease, drought, famine, rape, destructive patriarchism, and a host of other devastating social, political and environmental issues.

Last edited:
....One of the most viral videos ever says it's accessible enough. Sadly facts have little to do with the video, which is kind of the problem with it.

Yep, facts have little to do with it and as we know, virals are easily spread by people who just want to be seen to be in the know and not by people who actually understand what they're watching.....

Its all irrelevent now, The guy had a vision & could have gone far, using a publicly distribuuted video... But he then publicly destroyed himself & his reputation single handedly

Back