iPad or alternative (Nexus / Other)?

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Thinking of getting a tablet - primarily for client viewings of family portrait sessions and was wondering what good (dare I say cheaper) alternatives there are to an iPad.

Currently I have Lightroom installed on a laptop that I connect to an LCD TV using HDMI. I use the Slideshow to present the images and then move to Library so that I can present similar images together for elimination / selection.
I would be looking to have similar functionality with a tablet.

If iPad really is the way to go, then which version? Again, budget could be an issue, so what about some of the older models?

Thanks

I have a Windows Surface RT tablet which I got from John Lewis a month or 2 ago. Mine came with a keyboard cover that's detachable. Compared to the iPad, the available apps are slightly limited in number but there are plenty available and loads of them are free. On the plus side, it has built in HDMI connectivity as well as a USB port and a Micro SD slot. Doesn't look like they still stock them but I'm sure some digging would find a supplier.

iPad air with retina is a very nice option. Coupled with an Apple TV you can stream pictures to the big screen.
Limited expansion options although a wireless hard drive such as seagate go flex gives huge expansion potential
Don't bother with a 16gb iPad as it's far to constrained as a stand alone device.

Daughter has an iPad and it's very good and I'd certainly recommend one - with regards to which model - how portable do you want it to be...the mini is more portable than the full size version (for all tablet makes)

Another thing to maybe think about, what TV do you have - I seem to remember reading you can connect the Samsung tablets directly to their new smart TV's, which obviously makes things easier...

Not just samsung, as long as the TV has wifi and the ol' dlna sharing, you can literally share it using the app on the App Store, LG do this which is bloody handy for sharing videos straight to the tv etc.

Thanks for all your replies - certainly food for thought.
TBH, I'm in a quandary whether to buy a tablet or a Wacom Intuos or more studio gear. Decisions, decisions!!!

Either iPad (through ease of use) or nook HD+ (due to price - should be able to pick up for around £100).

iPad is definitely better, but if you spend sometime setting it up (rooting to get stock android ROM) then the nook. Can also be very useful and has a similar size screen for a lot cheaper.

Quite tempted by one of the Surface Tablets, I've had my fill of iPads and Android tabs and would much prefer something that will run my Windows software - Dell Venue Pro 8 looks nice for a budget smaller tablet (full Windows 8.1) or the new Surface Pro 2 albeit its dearer.

I'd stay away from iPad. It won't import photos in portrait orientation.

Just seen Amazon are selling the Toshiba Excite Pro 10.1" for £169.99
Screen looks very good - comparable with iPad
Anyone got one of these?

Couldn't resist - ordered 1.
It also has an HDMI socket [mini], so I can hook it up to the TV if more than 1 or 2 people are viewing.

Last edited:

Care to elaborate? That's a rather sweeping claim and I can vouch for the fact that I have put any number of portrait format photos on my iPad.

I imagine there is something more specific you are talking about.

Thinking of getting a tablet - primarily for client viewings of family portrait sessions and was wondering what good (dare I say cheaper) alternatives there are to an iPad.

Currently I have Lightroom installed on a laptop that I connect to an LCD TV using HDMI. I use the Slideshow to present the images and then move to Library so that I can present similar images together for elimination / selection.
I would be looking to have similar functionality with a tablet.

I think the Photosmith app for iPad would allow you to do all of that and sync with your main Lightroom Catalog

http://www.photosmithapp.com

Hi, I've never had problems importing shots in portrait orientation with any iPad that I have used. They're a terrific bit of kit.

Hi, I've never had problems importing shots in portrait orientation with any iPad that I have used. They're a terrific bit of kit.

I've never been able to import portrait shots. And when I googled it last year, there seemed to be lots of folks with the same problem. I believe it was something to do with the max height of the picture. This was in raw mind so I don't know if jpegs would be different, but I don't shoot them.
I've just googled 'import portrait photos' and the auto suggest brings up 2 variants of 'my ipad won't import portrait photos' so clearly a popular query...

I've never been able to import portrait shots. And when I googled it last year, there seemed to be lots of folks with the same problem. I believe it was something to do with the max height of the picture. This was in raw mind so I don't know if jpegs would be different, but I don't shoot them.
I've just googled 'import portrait photos' and the auto suggest brings up 2 variants of 'my ipad won't import portrait photos' so clearly a popular query...

I shoot raw and have had no issues importing them into my iPad, no changes made, just takes them :)

The Surface Pro has a Wacom style high res digitizer and pen which works great with Photoshop

I have an iPad and a Nexus 7. The Nexus has the highest resolution screen of any tablet on the market and the images look stunning. However, it is very small. It is also half the price of the IPad!

Just got an ipad from Santa. Ive begun using it as my diary/calendar/email. Its pretty handy and the screen is great. Im a total windows/android user but I had it mastered in 30 mins.
On a side note, for those who says 'it just works', it most definitely doesnt. This is one of apples most brass necked marketing slogans.

In the 2 weeks ive had i have had:
- A blue screen, yes on day one. It flashed a blue screen then rebooted whilst I was in the calendar
- Complete unresponsiveness to the touch screen. Comes back after a few seconds but this is frustrating!
- Random reboots
- Lagging videos imported through itunes. MP4 files, an almost identical file works fine yet one is so laggy its unwatchable
- f*****g itunes, need I say more?
- safari, it must be the worst internet browser on the market. Completely unresponsive and regularly slow. It also doesnt like some websites, it just locks up.
- lack of flash player whilst browsing is very frustrating, especially for youtube (the app is rubbish!)
I must say i wasnt expecting any of this due to the hype and price.

Just got an ipad from Santa. Ive begun using it as my diary/calendar/email. Its pretty handy and the screen is great. Im a total windows/android user but I had it mastered in 30 mins.
On a side note, for those who says 'it just works', it most definitely doesnt. This is one of apples most brass necked marketing slogans.
There is unfortunately a somewhat skewed appearance given to the iPads. People are so enamoured with them, that they overlook when they crash, and then tell their friends they just work. Some brands just seem to be covered in teflon. For example, someone gets a telly, and it is a brand name, but the edges are dim.
'It is a brand telly, therefore it is perfect, you wouldn't expect better from a non-brand telly.'
This is the attitude that I think a lot of iPad users have. They overlook faults, such as it being slow, or freezing sometimes.

The Surface Pro has a Wacom style high res digitizer and pen which works great with Photoshop
About 3 years ago I bought a windows tablet with built in active pen digitizer. It is great for editing photos in photoshop. I can brush on where I want layer masks/healing etc. very very much easier (now that I tried it again) than using a normal wacom tablet (with no image).

I have edited images that have been printed out as 5 foor plus posters at 300dpi. I think a lot of tablets nowadays (would like to see the iPad try it) would struggle with that.

Edit:
So someone recently showed their new iPad off, bet your tablet can't do that.
Well, pretty much the tablet that cost £60 of tesco vouchers did do everything tht the iPad could, and much of it cheaper and faster.

Last edited:
Are you going to show photos on tablet screen or TV via tablet? If it is the latter, many decent ones will do - preferably android (I hate iOS - it makes me feel like I am somehow illiterate), maybe Nexus 7. If it is the former, then tablet screen is very important and you are most certainly stuck with iPads. iPad 3 is certainly enough for viewing and screen is just as good as Air. But iOS software really is annoying. It couldn't be more difficult to delete a photo, etc. Maybe new Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12 will be good, but generally samsungs are known for surrealistic ultra vivid colours...

As per my previous post, I opted for the Toshiba Excite Pro 10.1". The display is very, very good - probably on par with an iPad (or not very far off).
I will be using it to show photos on either the tablet or a TV depending on circumstances.

One thing that I am having trouble with is finding a suitable app for displaying photos that will enable me or the client to easily select their chosen photos.
Up until now I have used Lightroom on a laptop and am looking for the following functionality with an Android app:

Essential
- Slideshow
- View individual photos as well as comparing 2 or more (like the survey view in Lightroom Catalogue module)
- Flag photos as Pick or Reject
Nice to Have
- Rate photos (either 1-5 to favourites)
- Crop photos (preferably to standard formats - 6x4, 10x8, 12x10)

Any suggestions for suitable apps (am willing to pay for the right app)

Back