iPad Pro, Lightroom and Apple Pencil...

I probably could have been a bit clearer - anyway, I took the plunge and made the purchase.

I'd be interested to understand your workflow - do you upload to your laptop/pc, then use he lightroom iPad app once synced? Is there a better way?!

It very much depends. If I'm at home ie. Not on holiday then I will upload to my computer and then sync with LRM. This leaves me free to sit and rate the photos and carry out most of my editing whilst in the lounge with family (using ipad) this normally leaves minimal work left for on the computer.
However if I'm away (on holiday etc) I will upload to the iPad using an sd card adapter. Sort, rate and edit as before. This leaves minimal work when I get home. I also leave my mac switched on with LR open, this way all the photos and edits are already sat on the hard drive waiting for me

I probably could have been a bit clearer - anyway, I took the plunge and made the purchase.

I'd be interested to understand your workflow - do you upload to your laptop/pc, then use he lightroom iPad app once synced? Is there a better way?!

Very similar to Chris, I think.
  • First off, I shoot RAW + JPG; this is important for me as the iPad still does not recognise compressed fuji raw files, so I need the jpg pairing to see a preview.
  • I import the card via the adapter into the iPad - this actually puts the RAW + JPG pair into Apple Photos on the iPad and not Lightroom - this is actually quite useful!
  • Then I make a first pass cull of the pictures within the IOS Photo's app - deleting any I don't want. IOS Photos only shows the JPG of the pairing, not the raw file. This means they are all deleted locally and no bandwidth is wasted trying to sync those photos up.
  • When I'm happy, I open up Lightroom mobile and then import those photos from the camera roll - this will import the raw not the jpg file by the way. These raw files are then synced to the Adobe cloud, and then from the cloud to my desktop at home, so they are waiting for me. I've set Lightroom desktop up to import the photos directly into my date ordered library so they appear in the right folder straight off.
  • I'l then make a second pass through the photos in Lightroom mobile - rating, perhaps rejecting more and make any tweaks. Where I need an edit that can't be performed in LR Mobile, I'll use the pick flag, so when I'm back home I can find those quickly (these tend to be the guided transforms to correct verticals or healing brush only)
Additionally, as a 'backup' you always have access to the raw and jpg files on the iPad in IOS Photos to import into LR at home (just connect via a cable and it acts like a thumb drive), but beware of duplicates if you do this. I've not needed to. I tend to leave the images on my SD cards and use the iPad as a backup disk too, so I have at least three physical copies while out and about, as well as the cloud version if WiFi is available - I keep the SD card pairs separate when not in camera, and the iPad Pro separate again. Overkill perhaps, but hey ho.

Also when I'm travelling and there's poor wifi, LR Mobile may not always be able to upload everything, so sometimes you need to be patient when you her back home for them all to appear.

Well, everyone is different, they have their own styles and workflows that suits their needs.

I would say better to upload to computer first then sync to iPad.

Computers have bigger storage size, ie: HDDs of 4TB, 6TB, etc., vs that of iPad having up to 512GB of storage memory.

You could dump all the photos to computer, but only sync what you need to iPad to work with, rather than have all photos on iPad yet don't actually use them all. (Similar to having thousands and thousands of tracks, hundreds of albums, all on your main computer, but sync what you need to iPod.)

Well, everyone is different, they have their own styles and workflows that suits their needs.

I would say better to upload to computer first then sync to iPad.

Computers have bigger storage size, ie: HDDs of 4TB, 6TB, etc., vs that of iPad having up to 512GB of storage memory.

You could dump all the photos to computer, but only sync what you need to iPad to work with, rather than have all photos on iPad yet don't actually use them all. (Similar to having thousands and thousands of tracks, hundreds of albums, all on your main computer, but sync what you need to iPod.)
I would agree with this in the main, although if you are on holiday for example, where you cannot access your desktop, synching with the iPad, knowing that they will be waiting for you at home is great

I would agree with this in the main, although if you are on holiday for example, where you cannot access your desktop, synching with the iPad, knowing that they will be waiting for you at home is great

I agree, expect that you should better do it in your hotel room or in your car. If you're outside, make sure you are in a safe location, not a busy café or railway station, more like say open spaced area where you can see who's too close.

When you upload to your iPad, you better hope it gets uploaded to the cloud and sync to your home computer with time to spare, before some mugger grab your iPad. Otherwise if you're mugged while in the progress of uploading your photos, you not only lose your technology but also some or all of your photos.

However nowadays, most camera memory cards can hold thousands of photos, so you could still keep shooting until you go home. Even if you used lower storage size, say using a 2GB memory cards instead of using say 32GB memory card, it would help if you got spare cards.

In theory, it makes senses to upload to iPad and sync to cloud while on location, but still keep the originals saved in the memory cards for when you get home, and double check that your photos did get downloaded to your desktop computer. If you were to find out that the cloud goofed (ie: server when down, public WiFi got cut out, etc.,) you would then still need to sync from memory card direct to your desktop.

Rather than having to risk moving (instead of copying) photos from memory card to iPad, in order to free up space on card for more new photos.

In other words: Use the memory card as a back up until you are sure the upload to iPad and sync to desktop via cloud went well.

Hi, can I ask whether there is a similar set up with Capture One to use an iPad Pro etc as well as a MacBook?

I agree, expect that you should better do it in your hotel room or in your car. If you're outside, make sure you are in a safe location, not a busy café or railway station, more like say open spaced area where you can see who's too close.

When you upload to your iPad, you better hope it gets uploaded to the cloud and sync to your home computer with time to spare, before some mugger grab your iPad. Otherwise if you're mugged while in the progress of uploading your photos, you not only lose your technology but also some or all of your photos.

However nowadays, most camera memory cards can hold thousands of photos, so you could still keep shooting until you go home. Even if you used lower storage size, say using a 2GB memory cards instead of using say 32GB memory card, it would help if you got spare cards.

In theory, it makes senses to upload to iPad and sync to cloud while on location, but still keep the originals saved in the memory cards for when you get home, and double check that your photos did get downloaded to your desktop computer. If you were to find out that the cloud goofed (ie: server when down, public WiFi got cut out, etc.,) you would then still need to sync from memory card direct to your desktop.

Rather than having to risk moving (instead of copying) photos from memory card to iPad, in order to free up space on card for more new photos.

In other words: Use the memory card as a back up until you are sure the upload to iPad and sync to desktop via cloud went well.

Obviously you need to aware of you surroundings and need to protect your gear, if I was somewhere where I thought my iPad could nicked by camera would also remain firmly in the bag (although all my stuff is insured, including iPad). I usually work on having at least 2 copies when I am away. The images are on the memory card, physically on the iPad and also in the cloud (and subsequently on my Mac at home). If I have a strong enough connection, then I will also backup to Keenai. So worst case I have 2 copies, if I have wifi, that double to 4. Keenai also forms part of my general backup solution along with a couple of external hard drives

Back