iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great, integrated battery (what a great scam that is!), no onbard USB, limited storage etc... I'll pass and keep my Blackberry and netbook for all my travelling and business / work needs as my work is a bit more, err, technical (unless you can get a decent telnet, SSH, VPN, Citrix client etc in App Store??).

Carl

The answer is to reinvent the laptop!!!! I do not think this goes that far, it is just not capable enough, not enough storage, not enough connectivity.

If the intention is to use the device in a home environment, then masses of storage isn't a problem - its unlikely to be your only device. An external drive would be fine. Existing netbooks get away with 60gb drives at the moment, I don't see any need for more.

If you're going to work with it, are you likely to want to take gigabytes of data with you? Not likely for fear of loosing it.

As for connectivity, wifi and 3g is perfect. USB would be nice of course, but other than that, not a problem.........................

.........well, not for me anyway :)

If the intention is to use the device in a home environment, then masses of storage isn't a problem ..

If you're going to work with it, are you likely to want to take gigabytes of data with you? Not likely for fear of loosing it.

As for connectivity, wifi and 3g is perfect. USB would be nice of course, but other than that, not a problem.........................

Netbook, Laptop done.

So guys,

What's the alternative from a WINDOWS (or otherwise) point of view? And prices! Genuine question, as if a WINDOWS TABLET was of a similar price, it would be insane to buy the iPad and its "limited OS"....

So, is there anything else on the market which is an iPad and more?

Gary.

I think it is a pointless device and would say the same if it had Windows written on it. Unless buying a "slate" means I can leave something else at home then it's of no benefit. Based on these specs it is worthless to me.

So guys,

What's the alternative from a WINDOWS (or otherwise) point of view? And prices! Genuine question, as if a WINDOWS TABLET was of a similar price, it would be insane to buy the iPad and its "limited OS"....

Gary.

Google for tablet+PC+photoshop

I looked a while back and decided that route was not neccessary for me.

It'll be more than £500 for sure but you can get them with built in sim cards etc just like real latops.

what a piece of rubbish...

last year, they took the mick out of anything between a phone and a laptop with a graphic of someone trying to shove an eeepc into their back pocket

they start this one off saying they want something between a phone and a laptop that does email, video, music, office well

they then produce something without a keyboard priced at around or slightly above a netbook, that does all of the above fine, and claim that it is of course magically superior to everything ever.

Tap and pray keyboards will still always be tap and pray, no matter how much the turtleneck wearing techjesus screams 'I hate buttons laalalalalala'...

also, am I the only one who thinks that it's kinda ugly really? looks a bit... squashed like the last series ipod nanos, but without the scroll wheel to break it up...

edit: wait, and this thing STILL can't run more than one application at a time! wtf! how useless...

agree - looks pants, and seems to be style over substance (again..).

Give me my HTC Trouch Pro 2 and a ZEN over any 'i' product anyday.

Thinking out loud, I think this will really benefit Windows 7 OS as people look for a "proper" tablet based PC. I might be wrong, but I am instantly worried about the iPhone OS...

G.

Gary, HP slate is looking reaaallly sweet, will likely be more expensive as it's a 'real' computer though.

I could see how this could be an AWESOME device for you Gary, proofs on it, you can hand it to couples or kids or whatever and they can flickr through their own photo gallery on a awesome, bright screen on a cool device... does suck that the OS will be so limited though :(

If it brings down the price of a similar windows device, it'd be amazing...

Gary, HP slate is looking reaaallly sweet, will likely be more expensive as it's a 'real' computer though.

I could see how this could be an AWESOME device for you Gary, proofs on it, you can hand it to couples or kids or whatever and they can flickr through their own photo gallery on a awesome, bright screen on a cool device... does suck that the OS will be so limited though :(

If it brings down the price of a similar windows device, it'd be amazing...

I kinda love Apple for its ability to push new categories, but I reckon this time, they should have pushed into OSX territory. The OS is severely lacking...

Either way, I want a new toy :D

:agree: I want one Gary!

You can register for alerts on the apple.com (not uk) homepage for when they release it on preorder.

I kinda love Apple for its ability to push new categories, but I reckon this time, they should have pushed into OSX territory. The OS is severely lacking...

yeah, 1 application at a time is just...immensely crippling... that means no spotify + a book at the same time, or similar - yet it's got this awesome 1GHz processor o_0

Lets face it, they were never going to put OSX on it - too much of a conflict with their other products.

I'm sure I'll have one. My current Vista laptop is getting on now, a nice shiny new device would suit me well.

Desperately needs flash though!!!

ipad, isnt that what pirates wear ? :)

I think the biggest let down really is that it doesn't run proper OSX... I wonder if the A4 processor is actually capable of it... perhaps someone can hack it?...

with a proper OSX, the ability of this thing instantly gets so much higher...

I think the biggest let down really is that it doesn't run proper OSX... I wonder if the A4 processor is actually capable of it... perhaps someone can hack it?...

with a proper OSX, the ability of this thing instantly gets so much higher...

hehe, it'll doubtless be a very grisly hack, if it's even possible due to the new chipset, but windows 7 on this would be a really, really cool device :p

Which of course you already can.

:LOL: I think I'll pass anyway!!! I've never seen any modern Apple product (anything that starts with an "i" anyway) as "proper" IT kit, it's too far removed from the underlying technologies IMHO. Anybody that accuses me of being a luddite is welcome to have a look around my lab with roughly £1M worth of cutting edge DTV / VOD / Internet kit in, not an Apple product in sight! ;)

Carl

:LOL: I think I'll pass anyway!!! I've never seen any modern Apple product (anything that starts with an "i" anyway) as "proper" IT kit, it's too far removed from the underlying technologies IMHO. Anybody that accuses me of being a luddite is welcome to have a look around my lab with roughly £1M worth of cutting edge DTV / VOD / Internet kit in, not an Apple product in sight! ;)

Carl

Arrr but if you'd bought Apple kit you could have spent £2M and just think how much more impressive that would sound.

And how nice it would look!!! Bit of a bummer that there's no user servicable parts though, I'd have to drag it to my nearest Apple store :p

Arr but if you buy the most expensive things like mac pros they can be taken apart :)

And how nice it would look!!! Bit of a bummer that there's no user servicable parts though, I'd have to drag it to my nearest Apple store :p

That's kind of the point isn't it. MOST people aren't IT boffins and wouldn't want to take it apart even if they could.

That's kind of the point isn't it. MOST people aren't IT boffins and wouldn't want to take it apart even if they could.

But that would be no fun whatsoever, taking things apart is the way forward.

Just out of interest, was there any anouncement of the rumoured operating system update to OS 4.0 for ther iphone?

Apologies to the OP, I don't want to sidetrack to thread, just curious that's all.

Microsoft Surface. Team that with a good tablet and its all good.

I love my iphone and ipod touch, but all this is is a playskool ipod.

Correction, breaking them - taking 'em apart - fixing them - not telling anybody you broke it and getting away with it is the best part!

No the BEST bit is getting the cheapest model and upgrading it to the best model for 1/4 of the difference :)

It looks lush but I can't quite figure out of it's a teeny touch screen laptop. Or an oversized Iphone?

500x_ipadpicfancy12710.jpg

So guys,

Gary.

Well for starters you have the Archos range, more precisely the Archos 7 and 9

The Archos 7 runs Linux on a 7" screen of 800x480 so essentially the same usability as the iPad, those are £250

The Archos 9 has a 9" screen running 1024x600 runs W7, 1GB RAM and 60GB HDD. Yeah not quite a proper slate computer but closer than any other I have found. That's £500

Then you have a few others, obviously the HP one that has been batted around, but not much known about that and also the Lenovo IdeaPad U1 Hybrid, not quite a slate but has the aility to run as both a standard 11.6" laptop (with W7) and snapdragon powered slate. The slate using their own OS apparently and weighing in at 750g (making the ~650g iPad relatielt heavy).

I'm still hoping in the near future someone will release the "slate" part of that lenova with a core 2 processor and 2-4Gb of RAM (When you consider the Dell Adamo and Apples Macbook Air and their size/power ratio it shouldn't be that difficult!).

As for the iPad, it looks nice as a randow coffee table impliment except it fails majorly in it's main tasks:

No wide or HD screen, making you either watch cropped films or tiny images in the middle of the screen.
No full web browser meaning the web viewing is crippled. Yeah the lach of flash (and other plugins) is a little annoying on a 4" phone screen however it's a major issue in a 10"device!
The use of a backlit LCD screen. Apparently this is meant to destroy the Kindle, well it won't... The whole reason e readers have taken off recently is due to their massive battery life, relative cheapness and e ink screens, the iPad has none of these...

If the OS was more open I could see it as an excellent media controller. You could turn lights on and off in your house (depending on having automated systems), adjust the music playing and view tv listings/ films on your HTPC and select a film to watch at the touch of a button. Not going to happen though...

EDIT: Anyone actually know anything about the HP slate, other than it has a 10" screen? From the width of it it does look more powerful than both the Archos and iPad so hopefully it will be running a full laptop system underneath and not 1GB RAM, small HDD and snapdragon processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back