Iphone 5 or Samsung SIII

• iPhone

Votes: 34 39.1%
  • Samsung

Votes: 41 47.1%
  • Not fuss!

Votes: 12 13.8%

• Total voters
Well, my other half and I looked for ages in the app and couldn't find any way to attach items. I can't remember what the item to be attached was, maybe not a picture or video.

Well, my other half and I looked for ages in the app and couldn't find any way to attach items. I can't remember what the item to be attached was, maybe not a picture or video.

Touch the space you are writing into (as if you are pasting something) and you'll get the option to insert an item.

We will try that.

But on a side note... how is that intuitive... we'd never have even dreamt of doing that.

We will try that.

But on a side note... how is that intuitive... we'd never have even dreamt of doing that.

And someone used to iOS would probably have the same issues using Android. How the iPhone works seems perfectly intuitive to me.

Being "used" to something doesn't make it intuitive.

used an iphone 3Gs and liked it as a toy but not as a phone
have a sony android now and like it but it's limited in some respects.
I find that android clogs up quickly and loses it's smoothness tbh
apple is locked down and less prone to doing so I think
battery life on my sony is weak too, and non-replaceable!!!!
I would go with samsung S3 as I love their screens and design ethos

I voted for the S3.
I've had an iphone 4 since it was released a couple of years ago, and had been holding off on upgrading as I'd intended waiting on the iphone 5. My wife has an older Galaxy and I had never considered jumping ship until the HTC One X and Galaxy S3 were released.
After a lot of deliberation I decided to switch from ios to android and I'm very happy with my choice. I've sync'ed the music I have in itunes with easysync, it even pulled over my old texts as well, but I can also just drag and drop mp3's, photo's, videos direct to the sd card - far easier than having to import them into itunes and then sync them over (or set a folder to be the sync source for photo's). I'd had a suspicion that the S3 would be just a little too big, but that fear was dismissed after a few hours and now the iphone 4 seems too small!! I realsie that the iphone 5 is superior to my old iphone 4 but really can't see any reason to switch back just now.
One thing that is a pain though - my Klipsch x10 iem remote doesn't work any more. The sound is still as good as before but the remote's for apple only. :(

Last edited:
As nice as the S3 is (my wife has one), it's massive and i'm undecided as to if i like the size of it. I'm fast approaching an upgrade from my rooted Desire HD, which is pretty much a perfect size for me but I suppose i've been spoilt with the build quality. The S3 ( this also applies to the S and S2) just feels like it will snap in half with minimal effort. I just can't really see me moving away from Android, although I will be keeping a close eye on how the Nokia Lumia 920 does on release.

As nice as the S3 is (my wife has one), it's massive and i'm undecided as to if i like the size of it. I'm fast approaching an upgrade from my rooted Desire HD, which is pretty much a perfect size for me but I suppose i've been spoilt with the build quality. The S3 ( this also applies to the S and S2) just feels like it will snap in half with minimal effort. I just can't really see me moving away from Android, although I will be keeping a close eye on how the Nokia Lumia 920 does on release.

I really like the look of that mobile. If I was going to move away from iOS I'd go for one of the Nokias.

THe HTC One S is a beautiful phone too! If you like the Desire HD (I also have one of them) you will love the One S (my son has one)

I was unsure about the size of the s3 as well, but was quickly converted after it arrived. I was unsure for the 1st couple of days of using it but haven't looked back since.

The s3 hasn't felt like it'll break in my hands, although I haven't exactly been trying to snap it. ;)
It has survived a couple of drops, one onto laminate flooring from the mantlepiece (thanks to my kids) and the other onto carpet (thanks to me) without any issues at all. That was without a protective case on it, just one of the team gb rear covers instead of the factory original superthin one.

The Lumia 920 does look interesting.

I was unsure about the size of the s3 as well, but was quickly converted after it arrived. I was unsure for the 1st couple of days of using it but haven't looked back since.

The s3 hasn't felt like it'll break in my hands, although I haven't exactly been trying to snap it. ;)
It has survived a couple of drops, one onto laminate flooring from the mantlepiece (thanks to my kids) and the other onto carpet (thanks to me) without any issues at all. That was without a protective case on it, just one of the team gb rear covers instead of the factory original superthin one.

The Lumia 920 does look interesting.

Reassuring. I suppose it's just that i'm so used to my DHD. Feels brick-like compared to the Samsungs. Didn't realise you could get replacement rear covers for the S3, might look into that as I was horrified when trying to take the cover off my wifes!

EOS_JD said:
Possibly the best tablet on the market is from neither! The Asus Transformer is the one I've been looking at - Battery life is superb!

Lol really??

Just one look at them both being used, the screen on the Asus doesn't even come close to the iPad 3. Then we come to the apps.... Sorry, the Asus isn't even in the same ball park.

Last edited:
Lol really??

Just one look at them both being used, the screen on the Asus doesn't even come close to the iPad 3. Then we come to the apps.... Sorry, the Asus isn't even in the same ball park.

My wife uses our iPad for words with friends, the Asus is for everything else (y)

I went from the iPhone 3GS to the Galaxy SIII a couple of months ago but found I couldn't get on with it. The Android system just isn't for me and, because I have handling difficulties, I had difficulties even picking it up due to the size so I've got myself an iPhone 4S.

The SIII is in the classifieds section BTW ;)

mrgubby said:
My wife uses our iPad for words with friends, the Asus is for everything else (y)

iPad 3? Seriously, currently there isn't an Android tablet that comes close.

Last edited:
Lol really??

You looking at the right one? Talking about the TF700 (not the 300) 1920x1200 resolution is plenty enough for a tablet and not much behind - But it's not just about the screen either.

iPad 3? Seriously, currently there isn't an Android tablet that comes close.

You're obviously not that up to date with whats out there! You only need to read the reviews too!

Yes the ipad is a great tablet but the closed system lack of expandability, lack of USB etc etc - I just can't see why people buy them when others are just as good visually and better at most other things!

EOS_JD said:
You're obviously not that up to date with whats out there! You only need to read the reviews too!

Yes the ipad is a great tablet but the closed system lack of expandability, lack of USB etc etc - I just can't see why people buy them when others are just as good visually and better at most other things!

Lack of quality tablet apps is what turned me against Android.

Hi

I have the S3 love it good battery life good signal strength bright screen loads apps fast.

Never had the Apple not fond that i am not allwed to expand it if i wish, once i buy it it's mine who are Apple to say i can't add extra storage.

Good luck with whichever you get

border_all said:
Hi

I have the S3 love it good battery life good signal strength bright screen loads apps fast.

Never had the Apple not fond that i am not allwed to expand it if i wish, once i buy it it's mine who are Apple to say i can't add extra storage.

Good luck with whichever you get

Physical storage is old tech. Who needs microSD cards when you have iTunes Match?

Lack of quality tablet apps is what turned me against Android.

I agree they have taken time to mature but getting better all the time and in that TF700 I think now starting to overtake Apple.

EOS_JD said:
You looking at the right one? Talking about the TF700 (not the 300) 1920x1200 resolution is plenty enough for a tablet and not much behind - But it's not just about the screen either.

Yep, the one and the same.

Physical storage is old tech. Who needs microSD cards when you have iTunes Match?

Match is great. If you want to pay the £21.99 annual subscription fee, never lose a decently fast mobile signal, the network doesn't get congested and your data tariff is high enough to allow for all the audio streaming. I do live in a semi-rural area of Scotland though so maybe these things aren't issues for most (apart from network usage).

A bigger memory card just seems easier and more convenient to me, and 64GB cost me less than 2 years of Match would.
There's also a way for those without the ability to use memory cards to expand their storage, the maxell airstash is expensive but looks interesting.

Yep, the one and the same.

And what makes the iPad screen so much better? The few ppi that's in it is pretty much un-noiticeable

Match is great. If you want to pay the £21.99 annual subscription fee, never lose a decently fast mobile signal, the network doesn't get congested and your data tariff is high enough to allow for all the audio streaming. I do live in a semi-rural area of Scotland though so maybe these things aren't issues for most (apart from network usage).

A bigger memory card just seems easier and more convenient to me, and 64GB cost me less than 2 years of Match would.
There's also a way for those without the ability to use memory cards to expand their storage, the maxell airstash is expensive but looks interesting.

A cheap Micro SD is invaluable - 16Gb is low for the Airstash and VERY expensive.

Whilst I agree with the Apple users the iPad and iPhone ARE great devices, they are just no longer the cream of the crop and way too restrictive.

iOS has run its course and needs a massive facelift.

EOS_JD said:
And what makes the iPad screen so much better? The few ppi that's in it is pretty much un-noiticeable

I think you have me confused with some kind of engineer? I don't know, I didn't design or make it.

It's just better. And its very noticeable and I'm not alone in that opinion.

Last edited:

I don't have any of those issues, which means I have access to all my music (118.96GB) and movies wherever I am. I also enjoy access to that same media on my iPod Touch and iPad, without the need to swap memory cards around. Works for me, and the 24.99€ per year seems good value.

I think you have me confused with some kind of engineer? I don't know, I didn't design or make it.

It's just better. And its very noticeable and I'm not alone in that opinion.

ppi = pixels per inch :) I agree better screen - but not much else - it's not all about the screen if you can't do basic things like connect a USB device.

No denying a great bit of kit but way too restricted.

I don't have any of those issues, which means I have access to all my music (118.96GB) and movies wherever I am. I also enjoy access to that same media on my iPod Touch and iPad, without the need to swap memory cards around. Works for me, and the 24.99€ per year seems good value.

Get yourself a NAS and use the software to connect to your music and files remotely. I have a synology NAS and can access my music and images from my ipod touch (or iphone/ipad) or from my Android devices - Gives me access to all my 4Tb of data remotely :)

EOS_JD said:
Get yourself a NAS and use the software to connect to your music and files remotely. I have a synology NAS and can access my music and images from my ipod touch (or iphone/ipad) or from my Android devices - Gives me access to all my 4Tb of data remotely :)

I don't need to. iTunes Match works perfectly and seamlessly for me.

EOS_JD said:
ppi = pixels per inch :) I agree better screen - but not much else - it's not all about the screen if you can't do basic things like connect a USB device.

No denying a great bit of kit but way too restricted.

No I know what PPI means, I was saying I don't k ow why the screen is better, it just is!

For me the iPad just operates better, more smoothly, and faster. It's just much more slick in operation. All IMO of course.

You've hit the nail on the head with not being able to connect a USB device. I don't actually want to, otherwise I'd buy a laptop or net book, which to me Android tablets are more akin too. The only thing I want to connect to my iPad is my cf cards.

Everything else I can do wirelessly. And I mean everything!

Last edited:
No I know what PPI means, I was saying I don't k ow why the screen is better, it just is!

For me the iPad just operates better, more smoothly, and faster. It's just much more slick in operation. All IMO of course.

You've hit the nail on the head with not being able to connect a USB device. I don't actually want to, otherwise I'd buy a laptop or net book, which to me Android tablets are more akin too. The only thing I want to connect to my iPad is my cf cards.

Everything else I can do wirelessly. And I mean everything!

Sorry Jim lol - probably better because it's higher resolution. I agree that it is a slick machine but the newer android tablets are now the same. Many of the apps are cross platform and operate the same. I know my S3 is every bit as slick as an iPhone.

If you don't have anything to connect that's fair enough but I like to be able to add usb devices and have them work - No need to buy a laptop at additional expense.

I suppose it depends how you use it and what you need it to do. You can't even use bluetooth to share things on an ipad! That shocked me!

Just too restriced for me butthat's just me.

EOS_JD said:
Sorry Jim lol - probably better because it's higher resolution. I agree that it is a slick machine but the newer android tablets are now the same. Many of the apps are cross platform and operate the same. I know my S3 is every bit as slick as an iPhone.

If you don't have anything to connect that's fair enough but I like to be able to add usb devices and have them work - No need to buy a laptop at additional expense.

I suppose it depends how you use it and what you need it to do. You can't even use bluetooth to share things on an ipad! That shocked me!

Just too restriced for me butthat's just me.

I agree they are restricted, especially memory wise though of course cloud storage is certainly the way forward.

I guess it depends what you want to use it for at the end of the day, but since I've had the iPad, I've not booted up my PC!

I agree they are restricted, especially memory wise though of course cloud storage is certainly the way forward.

I guess it depends what you want to use it for at the end of the day, but since I've had the iPad, I've not booted up my PC!

No matter what OS, iOS, Android or W8 they are all still brilliant devices and for web surfing and email - perfect :)

Back