iPhone IOS4 now available !

Did the upgrade no hassles, but after a quick play, aside from the mailbox changes, nothing else seems to have changed much... guess a lot is 'behind the scenes' and as apps get multi tasking that will be apparent too?

All installed and everything is running nicely.

Most notable difference for me is that before the update, the wifi that exists in the house I'm temporarily staying in had the wrong kind of network password for iphones and ipod touch.

It was too short and thus always was classified as incorrect.

After the update the shorter password is accepted and I can connect to the home network ;)

Wow, these update nightmare stories are really putting me off even trying! Only had my 3GS a few months (iphone virgin) and only done 1 OS update through itunes as soon as I bought it, so had nothing to lose really.

Is it worth the risk? Mine is less than 12 months old so presume it's still underr warranty if it goes totally tits up?

im having that issue, im trying to send you a screenshot of my working Zombies..

what you all doing to make it fail.

It couldnt be any easier to do, plug it in and let it update, mine worked no problem all apps are there, email accoutns all work as they did, contacts are still full. No Problems.

Just need to work throught what has been added other than folders.

I did mine last night. Zero issues.

My biggest bugbear is that Skype havent released their new app yet and dont say when they will. It's a shame as it was showcased at WWDC to show off the multi-tasking; but alas, not yet.

Did anyone get the new (the ones shown on the new iPhone 4) background wallpapers?

Mine ran very smooth as well. I let iTunes download it while I was out at a bbq getting drunk. Came home, plugged in phone. All very smooth.

I'm using one of the stone look ones for my home screen and my own picture for my wallpaper.

what issues are people having with gmail exactly? Works fine for me and has done for a good few weeks

Fantastic Thanks guys and those who have iPhone4 congratulations :) (y)

Just done mine, and there was an issue with the restore... Contacts etc all there but a lot of aps and all my videos and music were missing... However, now doing another sync and it seems to be copying them all back from my itunes, phew!

Sounds like a nightmare!

I got it working in the end by putting the phone in DFU mode on the MacBook (I normally use my iMac with the phone) it basically installed it as a new phone, and put OS 3.1.3 on it!

I've got the new phone coming thursday, so not sure weather to bother or not trying to get this on 4 tonight!

Dave.

Excellant, glad you got it working. My old phone wouldn't accept any code from either mac or pc itunes, nor could apple guru bar get it working. Just cash/reboot looped all the time. Needless to say I haven't done many updates since.

Just done mine, and there was an issue with the restore... Contacts etc all there but a lot of aps and all my videos and music were missing... However, now doing another sync and it seems to be copying them all back from my itunes, phew!

That's not an issue, it's normal when upgrading the software.

Guys, can you advise me please......

My iPhone used to an O2, but the original owner claims he had it unlock from O2. If that's the case, can I upgrade to 4 safely?
Some of you may remember I accidental updated my jailbroken iPhone recently and ballsed it up!!

If my new one was jailbroken, would I know?
I guess there would be an app of somekind........

Thanks,

I have bought a 3g, should be arriving later on this week. :D I need cheering up!

But, if I then pay the £15 to get 02 to officially unlock it, and then update to OS 4, will it lock itsself again? Would I have to unlock it AFTER updating it? sorry for a 'numpty' question, but I've never had iPhone before, only lived with Nokia and Sony, and they're pretty simple in comparison! :LOL:

I have bought a 3g, should be arriving later on this week. :D I need cheering up!

But, if I then pay the £15 to get 02 to officially unlock it, and then update to OS 4, will it lock itsself again? Would I have to unlock it AFTER updating it? sorry for a 'numpty' question, but I've never had iPhone before, only lived with Nokia and Sony, and they're pretty simple in comparison! :LOL:

Don't worry - I asked a similar question :nuts:

yup, never noticed! :LOL: Though I've still not got my head round jailbraking...:nuts:

my 3gs was officially unlocked by 02 and i updated mine to ios4 last night with no problems
also still unlocked

Took 8 hrs and 4 attempts for mine (slow internet). Impressed with it, love the folders, wallpaper facility and multitasking, but not all my apps work yet, will ahve to wait for them to be updated grrrrr

I went for it, and done the upgrade.
All seems fine so far, touch wood......

Can anyone advise if and how to create photo albums?

I've tried three times tonight to do the update..............over 4 hours wasted..........can't seem to get past the "backing up Iphone" stage:thumbsdown:

Given up for now....maybe try again tomorrow:)

Had a complete nightmare updating my 3G, took two attempts to get iOS4 on there, then about 7 attempts to get my backup on there. First couple of times i was missing all my massages (possibly other stuff but thats the first thing i noticed) finally got them back on there and all my app data had gone!

Got there in the end, just a shame the 3G version is missing some of the new features. Oh well, shiny new iPhone 4 on thursday.

I've tried three times tonight to do the update..............over 4 hours wasted..........can't seem to get past the "backing up Iphone" stage:thumbsdown:

Given up for now....maybe try again tomorrow:)

I had the same problems as you with my pesant spec 3G. I had already downloaded the software but it was a nightmare when it came to backing it up. So i ended up restoring the iphone in itunes - and hey presto it worked at a super quick speed :D

I have tried and tried to update but my Blackberry is having none of it :shrug: Thanks to you lot my missus is going for it though. Four hours to get folders though :roffle: :exit:

I don't think you can create them on the phone, you sync them to the phone via iTunes (well, you do on a Mac anyway).
The only default album you get is the "Camera Roll" one.

Upgraded my girlfriends 3G with no problems...

I create different directories for the iPhone to sync too on the PC and the folders on the iPhone assume the names of the directories.

Did it today :D
took me only 30mins, thanks to the superb internet connection lol :D

and the fact that the whole world isnt downloading it at once now ;)

Mine went smoothly, it failed to download a few times, but once it had downloaded it was plain sailing for there. I'm less than blown away to be honest, but have a pretty background and some folders now (which are pretty useful!)

Chris

Backing up now and then I'll give it a punt.

Installed without a hitch, although my backups seem to take aaaages

Back