iPhone sim swap

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
This is the sort of thing that everyone knows but me :-(

I have an iPhone 4s with a 3-mobile sim. If I bought a refurbished (unlocked) iPhone 6 or 7, is it just a case of taking the sim out of my existing iPhone and slotting it into the new one, for everything to work with the new phone?

depends, iphone 4 could be a different sized sim, they changed them at one point, from micro to nano but if its the wrong size just get a new one from the 3 shop, they are multi sized now.

depends, iphone 4 could be a different sized sim, they changed them at one point, from micro to nano but if its the wrong size just get a new one from the 3 shop, they are multi sized now.

Though not a iPhone, mine was a simple swap over when I got my new Moto G5 but my 3 PAYG sim was a micro but the phone needed a nano size. My local 3 shop rather than issue a new SIM used a die cutter to resize the Micro one. To get it to fit well I had to use a scalpel to carefully the burrs of plastic left by the die cutter. That was about 2 years back so maybe not done now??? Oh, the SIM had worked AOK :)

Though not a iPhone, mine was a simple swap over when I got my new Moto G5 but my 3 PAYG sim was a micro but the phone needed a nano size. My local 3 shop rather than issue a new SIM used a die cutter to resize the Micro one. To get it to fit well I had to use a scalpel to carefully the burrs of plastic left by the die cutter. That was about 2 years back so maybe not done now??? Oh, the SIM had worked AOK :)

That all seems very shoddy. We just transfer the number onto a brand new SIM card.

Thanks everyone.

I had no idea about the change in Sim size and it seems my 4s was the last to use the Micro SIM, before they changed to Nano SIMs.

This is very useful to know, so glad I asked.

You can always get a replacement SIM from Three now, as the new ones are cut ready for both micro and nano SIMs.

You can always get a replacement SIM from Three now, as the new ones are cut ready for both micro and nano SIMs.
Yes, I saw some photographs of these multi-sized SIMs when checking out SIM sizes. Thanks.

That all seems very shoddy. We just transfer the number onto a brand new SIM card.
Yes, I thought it was odd as I specifically asked for a replacement SIM nano sized! FWIW I just took the SIM in to the shop, not my phone...... but even then that should not have made any difference.

That was why I said this was a while back and the protocol may have changed.

Last edited:
Back