Iphone v pro camera artical

How many ways would you like me to say; 'No. No it wouldn't' ?

Emmm..... Yes it would! How on earth can an iphone be "better"?

Emmm..... Yes it would! How on earth can an iphone be "better"?

Because you have a very finite definition of better. The slr will take a better photograph. But that doesn't mean it is the best one to use in the conditions. When saying that something is better for a situation it's not about the potential end result, it's about getting any result at all.

How would a dslr be better in a riot when it makes you a target. It would mean that you would end up with no pics whatsoever. What is better than having no pics whatsoever? Having 10 pics from a phone.

And every one of them would be wrong......

It's just more convenient at times :puke:

Getting closer...

Short Quiz:

1) Which is the best vehicle: a Lamborghini or a life raft?

2) Which is the best occupation: investment banker or outback survivor?

^

exactly. If I asked you what was the fastest car to use to get from a to b you might tell me that it was a formula1 car or a drag racer etc. But then if the road from a to b was off road then the fastest car would be a land rover. Therefore the best car is a land rover right?

No. It's the best car to use in those conditions. It's the same thing with a camera - best is not just about the potential result, it's about getting the result in the first place too.

And every one of them would be wrong......

It's just more convenient at times :puke:

REMOVED

Photographers were getting mugged and beaten up for their kit during the riots. Freelancers cannot afford to lose all that stuff, so in order to;
A. Stay alive and not end up in hospital
B. Get the photos
C. Keep hold of their expensive kit

They used phones or compacts. Yes the quality wasn't as good as a dSLR but strangely enough that sort of thought goes out the window when you're faced with a mob.

It's only the fanboys on TP that obsess about the newest and best camera who actually give a **** about whats used.

I use a mk3...friends of mine use a mk4...do you think the picture editor of a national newspaper picks the image based upon what camera was used or based upon the merits of the image and how it illustrates a story?

Hint. Whilst all you gloryboys on here would say "the mk4" and then probably rush out to buy it in the hope of recreating the image, thankfully the picture editor would think differently.

REMOVED

Last edited by a moderator:
you can make your point without that I think :nono:

You think? I'm not so sure, he's not exactly proved himself to be intellectually well-endowed so far in this thread?

I'll stand by my choice of words thanks. Unless of course the Stasi are on their way?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it was the London Tube bombings in 2005 that first really bought the camera phone footage into news editors eyes. For the first time with camera phones, ordinary people became on the spot photojournalists.

Some iconic pics: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/4660563.stm

Let's face it - it's a camera linked to a transmitter device. Just smaller and more convenient than a dslr and laptop. All UK tv news has ways of taking camera phone footage into their recording/playout systems.

A dslr and good glass is (nearly) always going to provide the better image, whether its actually the best tool for the situation depends on the situation.

During the London Riots, some of the iconic images in the papers were shot on an iPhone by Matt Lloyd, for Getty Images. After seeing other photographers attacked and robbed of their equipment, he returned home to transmit his first photographs and returned with just the iPhone to merge with the crowd.

You think? I'm not so sure, he's not exactly proved himself to be intellectually well-endowed so far in this thread?

I'll stand by my choice of words thanks. Unless of course the Stasi are on their way?

Ok. Your choice.

^

exactly. If I asked you what was the fastest car to use to get from a to b you might tell me that it was a formula1 car or a drag racer etc. But then if the road from a to b was off road then the fastest car would be a land rover. Therefore the best car is a land rover right?

No. It's the best car to use in those conditions. It's the same thing with a camera - best is not just about the potential result, it's about getting the result in the first place too.

I disagree. The comparison is not the same. An SLR will work just as well in any given situation and always better than any iphone. What you are discussing does not relate to the performance of the camera but the convenience of using it which is different to the question asked in the first place.

You are not comparing the same things.

Staff Edit: The Stasi think that this bit is not necessary, you are making your point very well without it.

Photographers were getting mugged and beaten up for their kit during the riots. Freelancers cannot afford to lose all that stuff, so in order to;
A. Stay alive and not end up in hospital
B. Get the photos
C. Keep hold of their expensive kit

They used phones or compacts. Yes the quality wasn't as good as a dSLR but strangely enough that sort of thought goes out the window when you're faced with a mob.

It's only the fanboys on TP that obsess about the newest and best camera who actually give a **** about whats used.

I use a mk3...friends of mine use a mk4...do you think the picture editor of a national newspaper picks the image based upon what camera was used or based upon the merits of the image and how it illustrates a story?

Hint. Whilst all you gloryboys on here would say "the mk4" and then probably rush out to buy it in the hope of recreating the image, thankfully the picture editor would think differently.

Jesus, some people shouldn't be allowed on the Internet unsupervised.

Normally low shots like that James prove the intelligence of the people using them..... And if your unsupervised use of the internet allows you to write suchj words then I wonder who should be getting supervised.

We all have an opinion. i'm not saying that during the situation you mention that a person "should" use an SLR. The question was whaat is better and in EVERY situation an SLR would be better.

The convenience factor however may dictate what can be used but that does not change the fact that an SLR is a better camera.

Or perhaps you are not intelligent enough to see the difference.

I disagree. The comparison is not the same. An SLR will work just as well in any given situation and always better than any iphone. What you are discussing does not relate to the performance of the camera but the convenience of using it which is different to the question asked in the first place.

You are not comparing the same things.

Well it's not the same of course, one is discussing a camera, the other a car but it was just an analogy to get across the point that the equipment that produces the best end result isn't always the best equipment to use for the situation.

You are talking only about the end result. Yet you mention the convenience a lot. The convenience of the camera phone makes it the better piece of equipment to choose in certain situations.

The question was whaat is better and in EVERY situation an SLR would be better.

how?

Please take me through this.

In a riot people with slr's were having their equipment stolen. The ones using camera phone weren't.

Those that only had a slr had no pics at the end of it. Those that had a camera phone did.

How was the SLR better in that situation?

Astounded that you guys are still debating this. Soon it'll be "my dad's harder than your dad".....

The article was showing how a dslr performs in an auto mode against a mobile phone in an auto mode. End of ....

how?

Please take me through this.

In a riot people with slr's were having their equipment stolen. The ones using camera phone weren't.

Those that only had a slr had no pics at the end of it. Those that had a camera phone did.

How was the SLR better in that situation?

I understand the argument but that does not answer the question.

It was just more convenient. There is a difference Joe.

I understand the argument but that does not answer the question.

It was just more convenient. There is a difference Joe.

surely convenience would mean that they both got pictures but the iphone was lighter and smaller and less hassle.

Im talking about the difference between getting photos and getting your kit stolen. Is that really just about convenience?

Im talking about the difference between getting photos and getting your kit stolen. Is that really just about convenience?

Which was never the question. The question was which is better and the SLR is better in every situation.

I do agree that I would not take the slr to a riot - but not because the iphone is better - Take it for convenience and I supopose for personal safety!

Which was never the question. The question was which is better and the SLR is better in every situation.

I do agree that I would not take the slr to a riot - but not because the iphone is better - Take it for convenience and I supopose for personal safety!

i think the question you are asking isn't "Which is better" it's "What camera can create the best end photograph"

in EVERY situation the dSLR can take a better photograph than the iphone I agree.

But the question "Which is the best camera to use?" isn't just about the photograph it can produce, it's about what is the best tool for the job under the given conditions.

i think the question you are asking isn't "Which is better" it's "What camera can create the best end photograph"

in EVERY situation the dSLR can take a better photograph than the iphone I agree.

But the question "Which is the best camera to use?" isn't just about the photograph it can produce, it's about what is the best tool for the job under the given conditions.

As poited out earluier the SLR is probably still not the best :)

the dSLR is still the best to use BUT I agree best tool for the job may provide something different - and it might not even be an iphone. :)

We're saying the same thing just differently Joe.

I do so love the spirit of friendliness, goodwill and tolerance that surrounds us at this time of year, and really enjoy spending some time enjoying the intellectual cut and thrust of reasoned debate on tuh forum.

Joe that is not helping, remember the new posting attitude you were going to have?

James, you dived in with both feet here so you cant complain at getting flack. bad moods and forums dont mix, and coming in to a thread the way you didnt help.
An no, she wasnt. come in with the right attitude and its all fine. Some people forget where they started, others forget that not everyone has the same opinion. Seriously, we need to get a grip here sometimes!

BUT I agree best tool for the job may provide something different - and it might not even be an iphone. :)

Exactly. I would prefer to use an IXUS 220 that has control over exposure compensation, ISO etc,. along with optical zoom and so on.

Smaller than iPhone, cheaper than iPhone, 'better' than iPhone.

Just make sure you get a black one so it can't be seen during those night time riot shots...

Joe that is not helping, remember the new posting attitude you were going to have?

aye, but when a member starts swearing and insulting another why should anyone give that poster any respect?

joescrivens said:
aye, but when a member starts swearing and insulting another why should anyone give that poster any respect?

RTM

he means, i should be the one who doesn't respond once reporting the post.

Take note Joe, after reporting a post, a PM from you telling me that it was you who reported it and got it changed, is not required!

Astounded that you guys are still debating this. Soon it'll be "my dad's harder than your dad".....

The article was showing how a dslr performs in an auto mode against a mobile phone in an auto mode. End of ....

I agree. To be honest the iPhone 4s takes some very acceptable shots and looking at the photos in the link if I never knew what camera had taken what shot then I'd be unsure in a few photos which I preferred. Dslrs are good becuase of the variety of lenses and settings that can be used v the iPhone that has no real settings and only one fixed lens. For the quality, I'd say the phone is more than acceptable for everyday use and the phone does so much more than an slr can do anyway.

Back