Iphone v pro camera artical

Take note Joe, after reporting a post, a PM from you telling me that it was you who reported it and got it changed, is not required!

That's more out of politeness and respect to you Greek. Which I know you appreciated at the time (y)

Seriously, some of you guys need to chill out a bit.................:D

Looks like I missed all the fun!

Seriously James! What is there to get upset over?! I might have just kept things going a bit :), I understand the argument but is there any need to blow a gasket......no! It's a forum. people are different, some have different views some type things as they hear them in their head and laugh.... Others read that and get angry because they read it the wrong way ....... Who knows!

Peace.

Moving on past the which is best to the 'look at what camera phones can do' aspects

I saw an exhibition recently containing work by Gary Waite.

Who you'll say?

You might remember him from the Nokia advert as the visually impared photographer walking around with a Nokia Camera phone, taking the photos of the roller coaster. I remember there being some debate over the image.

Having seen some of his other work, it's definitely interesting. A bit more info here

http://www.photovoice.org/whatwedo/info/favourite_session_by_gary_waite

Didnt appreciate it Joe, just wasn't bothered, but thanks for the respect and lets leave it there. :) (y)

Well, you seemed appreciative at the time and it gave you a chance to apologise which meant there were no hard feelings between us, which is all good. Let's get back on topic shall we (y)

jomike said:
Have a look at Gordon F's inologist blog:

http://inologist.com/

Gordon F is a member here.

Also there is a 11 page thread of iPhone photos here:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=170974

I went to a presentation by Gordon on Monday night at Guildford Photographic Society and it was a real eye opener.

In this debate, I think I fall into the "right tool for the job" bunch, but before Monday night I would never have considered the iPhone as a photographic tool.

Having seen what Gordon has been producing I'm now 100% convinced that an iPhone of any form (original up to the 4s) can be an adequate tool for photographers in some situations. I do think you have to consider the situation before you can define "best".

If you ever have chance to hear Gordon present it's well worth going along whether you are for or against using phones for photography. A very good and interesting presenter with some things to say that might change your view on the camera you use.

...Having seen what Gordon has been producing I'm now 100% convinced that an iPhone of any form (original up to the 4s) can be an adequate tool for photographers in some situations. ......

Not an iPhone, but I bought a HTC Desire HD a while ago and I have to say that the camera on it is excellent. The flash is a bit heavy-handed at times but natural light photography is great, especially with a lot of controls over saturation, sharpness, contrast and general image 'look'.

I use mine all the time for doing Facebook updates for each magazine, as and when I'm out on a shoot. It's more a case of getting something on the web there and then to create interest and drive people from our Facebook pages onto the magazine site. I could never do this with a DSLR, so in effect, it's the best tool for the job. I could do it with a DSLR connected to something like an iPad or my laptop, but that means extra kit to take with me (often into dodgy places) and I'm not prepared to risk that kind of kit out on the bank. A phone does the job and trumps the camera every time in this case.....

I have a HTC, it took me 6 months to find out that I could control ISO etc.

I have the desire HD and have not really used the camera at all!

Proves that the iPhone provides a good enough image for web. Guessing the iPhone would have struggled to catch the exact same picture with the very bright sun on the right (notice it is missing on iPhone picture?)

kerley said:
Proves that the iPhone provides a good enough image for web. Guessing the iPhone would have struggled to catch the exact same picture with the very bright sun on the right (notice it is missing on iPhone picture?)

It coped fine. I just chose to post a different shot to Flickr. I didn't set out to do a comparison yesterday. I only thought about adding them to this thread today.

what made you take a shot with both cameras if you weren't doing a comparison?

joescrivens said:
what made you take a shot with both cameras if you weren't doing a comparison?

First was for Instagram. I use the iPhone a lot as you can see from the iPhone thread. Thanks for doubting my word though.

Ricardodaforce said:
First was for Instagram. I use the iPhone a lot as you can see from the iPhone thread. Thanks for doubting my word though.

Ricardo - looks good. Is that done with a 4s?

i wasn't doubting your word :shrug:

i was curious as to why you were taking two photos, which you now have elaborated on.

no need to take offense :(

what is instagram?

Ricardo - looks good. Is that done with a 4s?

Sure was. I'm quite impressed with the camera, it's not **** as someone here maintains, and even in dull and overcast conditions it can still produce a vibrant image; for example:

El Barrio by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

i wasn't doubting your word :shrug:

i was curious as to why you were taking two photos, which you now have elaborated on.

no need to take offense :(

what is instagram?

http://instagr.am/

It certainly is an impressive image :)

yes the image quality is nasty lol

Is that what you call elaborating? You just repeated what you said before. Elaborating means explaining in more detail what you have said

Is it bad noise? Poor sharpness, colour, dynamic range, Distortion, vignetting etc etc

What is it you think is nasty about the quality of the image?

Last edited:
The iPhone 4s is an 8Mp camera on a tiny sensor, with a tiny f2.4 optics. It's never going to match, for example, a 5Dmk2 with prime glass, but for what it does, and using it within it's limitations, I'm starting to be quite impressed with it.

joescrivens said:
Is that what you call elaborating? You just repeated what you said before. Elaborating means explaining in more detail what you have said

Is it bad noise? Poor sharpness, colour, dynamic range, Distortion, vignetting etc etc

What is it you think is nasty about the quality of the image?

ive already elaborated before in this thread BTW ;)

You could apply my thoughts previously mentioned in thread to the photo above

Ok, well it was really finding out what you thought was lacking from the iq in that particular image that I was curious about. But that's ok if you don't eat to elaborate that's your prerogative.

I might be being naive here but ever since taking up photography the most important thing I have been taught is that a camera doesn't 'take good photos' :shrug:

I might be being naive here but ever since taking up photography the most important thing I have been taught is that a camera doesn't 'take good photos' :shrug:

not quite true - the camera has to be able to capture the scene. skill won't recover anything a poor camera captures.

sharpness, dynamic range, noise, colour representation are part of the sensor/electronics not the operator.

A camera does make a difference to the quality of the output.

not quite true - the camera has to be able to capture the scene. skill won't recover anything a poor camera captures.

sharpness, dynamic range, noise, colour representation are part of the sensor/electronics not the operator.

A camera does make a difference to the quality of the output.

Does this mean I am wasting my time taking photos because I only own a very humble Nikon D3000?

Does this mean I am wasting my time taking photos because I only own a very humble Nikon D3000?

Absolutely not. Any why would you think that?

Why did you buy the D3000 and not just a P&S?

What I'm saying is that the smaller sensor cameras/phones cannot match the IQ of much larger sensor dSLRs. Quality takes a further jump when you look at medium/large format cameras too.....
Also had a look at your iP4s gallery on flickr! Some great images and actually surprised by the quality! Not as good or versatile as an SLR but would do for most purposes! THe gap has just narrowed that wee bit more lol

Last edited:
Ricardodaforce said:

any Nikon TBH lol

no why would you think that?

Back