iPhone vs Blackberry Storm

Name
Pip
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
I've seen a fair few threads on here pointing people in the direction of apps for iPhones and saying generally what wonderful gizmos they are (and I have to say they do look good!) Our firm is tied into Voda though, so we can't go down that route... but I got a Blackberry Storm last week, which on the face of it is remarkably similar... been losing a bit of market share to O2 have you then Voda?!!!

It's quite lovely in some ways and quite crappy in others... I have to say I'm impressed with the IQ for a phone, but I swear a lot when trying to use the touch screen interface.

My question is does anyone know of any apps that are suitable for bb's rather than (or as well as) iPhones? And where to get them?
Thanks in advance,
Pip

Try the spb software, not positive it will work but they do lots of interfaces for different platforms.

Thanks all for the replies, it's pretty much as I thought - the iPhone has all the cool gizmos and the raspberry is good for work stuff. Hopefully that might change as more Voda people move platforms. IN the meantime I'll try the spb stuff Chris, thanks for that.
And if I find anything cool Matty I'll try and remember to let you know...

i have just left O2, got a Storm, wow what a phone....

cant wait to fully use it, waiting for the change over period now.

don't like the click screen the Blackberry has, i find the iphone touch screen much better in usage and for typing

i have just left O2, got a Storm, wow what a phone....

cant wait to fully use it, waiting for the change over period now.

Does it allow you to call people and talk to them well so does my Nokia brick,its a phone not Jodie Kidd naked on your bed legs apart saying "Take me big boy"

Sorry to get stroppy but technology is there to do a job not be drooled over

I have both an Iphone 3G and a Blackberry Storm.

The Iphone is vastly superior to the Storm for text input, answering emails, general navigation etc. It's so poor that after evaluation i have put mine in the draw and gone back to my Blackberry Bold (I'm the BES admin amongst other things, so I get to try every device for "evaluation" purposes).

So my company will not be supplying Storms to our users.

The click screen is poor, but the display itself is lovely. Typing an email takes about four times as long as the bold, and probably twice to three times as long as the iphone. If only there was a blackberry client for the iphone my life would be complete :eek::eek::eek:

Does it allow you to call people and talk to them well so does my Nokia brick,its a phone not Jodie Kidd naked on your bed legs apart saying "Take me big boy"

Sorry to get stroppy but technology is there to do a job not be drooled over

well from that rather unhelpful reply can we assume you've never upgraded your box brownie either?

well from that rather unhelpful reply can we assume you've never upgraded your box brownie either?

My cameras are there to do a job, I can admire the way they do the job from a technological point of view as I can with the laptop I am on now or the car that sits on my drive.

Maybe I went a bit over the top but I do get rather wound up when, as i said before inanimate objects are drooled over like some sort of icon,then again I feel the same about the way footballers are treated as some sort of deity.
maybe its my age and I am just a grumpy old man so sorry for any offense caused.

After reading this thread, i popped in to morrisons to get some sellotape.

Lo and behold, this month's Stuff were reviewing side by side the latest smartphones, including the storm, the Google phone, an HTC windows media device, and the iphone.

The summing up was:

Storm - Nice try but no cigar
Iphone - Still the coolest - the one to beat.

One thing people need to remember is that Blackberry's are email devices first, phones second. The storm seems to have taken all the ease of email built in to the other devices and removed it :bonk::bonk::bonk:

After reading this thread, i popped in to morrisons to get some sellotape.

This thread reminded you that you're out of sellotape? How queer! :thinking: :D

Could you tell us which HTC phone they reviewed and how they rated it?

Ta muchly.

Ta muchly.
I'd *guess* it was the Touch Diamond, as this is their current flagship handset.

Not vouching for their findings (I've not read the article) but I'd imagine their findings would be fairly similar to others' in tha it's a good looking handset that's let down by Windows 6.0.

I had the Touch (not Diamond) before I had the iPhone and loved it, but it's no iPhone that's for sure.

I've still got it somewhere upstairs actually!

since the Mr T app came out, my life is complete.

I'd *guess* it was the Touch Diamond, as this is their current flagship handset.

Not vouching for their findings (I've not read the article) but I'd imagine their findings would be fairly similar to others' in tha it's a good looking handset that's let down by Windows 6.0.

I had the Touch (not Diamond) before I had the iPhone and loved it, but it's no iPhone that's for sure.

I've still got it somewhere upstairs actually!

I think the Touch HD has taken over from the Diamond as HTCs flagship.

Whilst I agree that the iPhone has a far superior user interface (rather than the bolt on that HTC put on top of WM6.1) I personally find the actual functionality of the iPhone blighted by the lack of Copy and Paste, the lack of decent GPS software using stored maps and the inability to link it to your laptop and use it as a 3G Modem. Hence why I have an HTC Touch Pro - couldn't live without an inbuilt keyboard now, so much better for text entry.

Ta muchly.

I didn't look actually. I moved away from windows mobile just over a year ago because it just wasnt stable enough.

I upgraded to a blackberry storm last year and to be honest I have gone back to my Nokia n95..I would swap the blackberry for the iphone anyday..the blackberry is very vulnerable in todays markets with no wi-fi on board.

right, where to start....

I've got a Blackberry curve, it is a nice little phone, but I do like the look of the bold.

I have a few friends with the iPhone and a few with the Storm.

the guys using the iPhone have nothing but praise for it.

the guys using the storm seem to have lots of problems. Mainly;
Clunky interface (suppose they'll get used to it, but why should you)
Battery Life
Signal problems

I don't think I'd have a storm any time soon, incidentally I think the new iPhones supports exchange email, which is one step closer for corporate email, if there was a Blackberry app (like there is for some Nokia phones) then the iPhone would win hands down.

I love my works iPhone. Push email service is excellent and web browsing a real joy. You cannot cut and paste text which is anoying, and I would describe the battery life as average. If used in anger it will not last the day out.

iphone all the way........blackberry (on vodafone) require an extra 15.00 month just to connect to the internet,i have the iphone and i am well pleased with it...a brilliant gadget.

although paying 100.00 for it i feel is a bit naughty.

blackberry storm= poor man's iphone :LOL:

cut paste and text forwarding will make the iphone near perfect.

I have to say, I'm getting used to the Storm now. It's cack as a phone, sometimes it won't let you answer (the buttons don't work), the UI is awful, the keyboard difficult to use (and that's after ages getting used to it)... the email bit is good though, but thats what raspberrys were designed for. I guess they panicked when they saw their sales evaporating to iPhones and rushed the storm out. At the moment I'd probably go iPhone (mine is work storm so no choice) but next gen storm may be a cracker if they sort the rubbish bits out. The only thing that's cheered me up about it this week is that the togs screwdriver (elsewhere in this thread) actually works on it!

The iPhone is lovely to use, but I decided to get a HTC Touch Diamond to replace my HTC TyTn. It's great, but not as responsive as an iPhone. I've got the apps I need, it's got GPS, real sat nav and I can copy & paste! That said, I may switch to iPhone when the next model is released.

For phone apps, try http://www.pocketgear.com and http://www.handango.com.

Back