iPhone water damage(But Not)

Ok If you say so :) I work for carphonewarehouse and this comes across quite often. ;) If there's a fault/repair our customers go directly to Apple. Unless they take out our insurance they send it to us and we send it off to Apple.

If the customer wants a repair and is happy with that, then there is nothing wrong with advising the customer on how to get it repaired, including consulting the manufacturer for their repair service where applicable :)

If the phone is new, then the customer can also demand a replacement if they wish which is the sole responsibility of the retailer. Unfortunately, a lot of staff at retailers (in general) are unaware of this and the laws governing it and/or retailers try to push or fob customers off down the repair route to avoid the cost of replacement.

If the customer wants a repair and is happy with that, then there is nothing wrong with advising the customer on how to get it repaired, including consulting the manufacturer for their repair service where applicable :)

If the phone is new, then the customer can also demand a replacement if they wish which is the sole responsibility of the retailer. Unfortunately, a lot of staff at retailers (in general) are unaware of this and the laws governing it and/or retailers try to push or fob customers off down the repair route to avoid the cost of replacement.

I'm work in head office. I've spoken to o2 and Orange reps who have come into our office as well.

Orange is not going to budge. If they do then thats awesome.

Good luck to you Glasgowrunner for getting it sorted with the least of hassles.

Just rememebr that with the Iphone, if the two tabs or even one is pink, it will not be covered in your warranty etc and apple will nto fix it for free. UNLESS u get someone behind teh counter who's feeling generous :)

I'm work in head office. I've spoken to o2 and Orange reps who have come into our office as well.

Orange is not going to budge. If they do then thats awesome.

So Orange consider themselves above the law and mobile phones retailers accept this. A damning indictment of both Orange and Mobile phone retailers.

I sincerely hope that companies with a proper approach to customer service, e.g. Tesco, gain an ever stronger foothold in the mobile phone market at the direct expense of such negative airtime providers and retailers.

The thing here is that the phone has had extra care taken of it, like you would not know.lol.

She even wiped it clean with one of my lens clothes after touching it this is why i am so angry about it just seems something strange is going on with these handsets and to trip both sensors is even more strange.

There are actually 4 of the little "sensors" (btw they are 3M 5557 Water Contact Indicators - little stickers which go pink to red when exposed to moisture). There is 1 in the bottom of the headphone socket, 1 in the dock connector and 2 actually attached to the main logic board inside the phone (I beleive these are the two white dots in this picture, compare with the two red dots in this picture - White = Good, Red = Bad). The main problem appears to be that the 2 on the outside of the unit are getting tripped (apparently by evironmental conditions) but if these have been triggered Apple won't normally open up the phone to check the 2 sensors in the phone, the ones that will definately show water damage i.e. if the internal ones have been triggered there is no arguing as they are significantly better protected by the case. You could try speaking to a Manager at the apple store and persuade them to actually open the case to check the hidden dots.

Think I would refuse to pay any more of your contract.

Unless you have a very good case I wouldn't; you could find yourself with a CCJ as you would be breaking your air time contract, the phone supply is a separate thing in Law.

Ok If you say so :) I work for carphonewarehouse and this comes across quite often. ;) If there's a fault/repair our customers go directly to Apple. Unless they take out our insurance they send it to us and we send it off to Apple.

I can't believe how misinformed you are about this.
Under UK consumer law the contract of sale is with the supplier not the manufacturer, end of story. And it's the suppliers resonsibility in total.

The fact that in reality it would just have to go back to Apple to get fixed, because Orange wouldn't have the capability anyway, is totally irrelevant.

Hi folks just a wee update, I got the phone replaced with a brand new one today. Orange would still do nothing so i contacted the office of fair trading.

Got a call from Apple(they where contacted from fair trading) and asked to bring the phone back in to the Apple store. I went in with the phone and you would not belive this,,,,,,,,the water sensors where not even tripped it seems the guy that checked it was way wrong i was looking for the guy that checked the phone but he was missing.

Anyway thanks folks been a big help on this one, and i got a result.

Merry Christmas to all....................

Glad to hear it GlasgowGunner. I once bought a Motarola phone for my daughter from Orange for my daughter, quite some years ago, that went wrong too... and they were totally useless. They seem to think they are above the law.

Anyway, I'm glad it worked out for you. Have a good Christmas!

cheers
Bill

thats good news and shocking regarding the wrong diagnosis
and guess what sods law my iphone is playing up after almost 6 months of no problems
people are calling me but not getting through even though i have a signal :bonk::bonk::bonk:

Hi folks just a wee update, I got the phone replaced with a brand new one today. Orange would still do nothing so i contacted the office of fair trading.

Got a call from Apple(they where contacted from fair trading) and asked to bring the phone back in to the Apple store. I went in with the phone and you would not belive this,,,,,,,,the water sensors where not even tripped it seems the guy that checked it was way wrong i was looking for the guy that checked the phone but he was missing.

Excellent result :) Am really pleased you got it replaced in the end.

Merry Christmas

Great to hear, I've been following this thread to see what the outcome was.

Interesting that the OFT Contacted Apple an not Orange, I wonder why his would be...

Sounds like one of those cases where Apple change there mind because they've been found out.
I would have been very interested to see if they had actually been tripped or not though...

maybe the little bits of paper are over sensitive and are changing colour with moisture etc
you can see the water sensor tabs if you look inside the headphone jack
if you have a poke around people try tippex or bleach before taking them to the apple store
i agree the whole thing sucks big time just the same as ps3's and x boxes that pack up after a couple of months

MS give a 3year warrenty on the xbox as long as its RROD that kills it(as its a recognised failure), sony give a year on the PS3, which is pretty much the same as everyone else in the electronics industry.

As for the retailer/manufacturer thing, sometimes manufacturers will do a deal with the retailer, for example Currys and samsung, the first 30days is covered by currys, but after that on some models its samsung direct that look after repairs, but it is clearly stated in the sale contract that that is the case. :)

good result in the end!

can't do anything about it your phone is water damaged

P.S, The phone will not even turn on now.

I was going to say that if it was water damaged it probably wouldn't even turn on, but then read your P.S...

The wife accidentally dropped her phone down the loo a few months ago (don't ask). Fortunately, knowing my wife as well as I do, I opted to get insurance on her phone when I got them both about a year ago. They gave her a new phone, no questions asked.

Anyway, sounds like you got a positive result in the end. :)

excellent news indeed, well done and merry christmas (y)

Back