Beginner iPhone

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
Does anyone else 'just' use an iPhone?
I don't go anywhere without my phone on me so I use it to take photos all the time. How are photos taken on the phone viewed (i.e. is it frowned upon or seen as a legitimate form of photography). I do have a Polaroid bridge camera but have not used it yet plus it's bulky so will use it when I am specifically going somewhere I know I will be taking photos.
I don't have the money to buy a 'proper' camera but that doesn't mean I am any less interested in taking photos. I just worry that I'm only a tiny fish in a very big pond and don't have the equipment or expertise to 'compete' with you your fantastic works of art on here :(

Hi,
I don't go anywhere without my phone on me so I use it to take photos all the time. How are photos taken on the phone viewed (i.e. is it frowned upon or seen as a legitimate form of photography). I do have a Polaroid bridge camera but have not used it yet plus it's bulky so will use it when I am specifically going somewhere I know I will be taking photos.
I don't have the money to buy a 'proper' camera but that doesn't mean I am any less interested in taking photos. I just worry that I'm only a tiny fish in a very big pond and don't have the equipment or expertise to 'compete' with you your fantastic works of art on here :(

I see this quote all the time 'the best camera is the one you have with you' and it's true. Also in good light you can get some pretty good photos with the latest phones.

And your not competing with anyone, it's just something to do for fun :)

Hi,

Don't feel inferior - it's actually the rest of us who are way behind the imaging curve these days. Smartphones are ridiculously good now (which is why most of the world uses them!) considering their theoretical limitations. Dedicated cameras have many advantages of course, but when it comes to connectivity and getting our stuff on-line, we've got some serious catching up to do. In terms of image quality, check out this recent thread comparing an iPhone to a top-end DSLR https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/iphone-6s-vs-nikon-d800.605640/ You may be surprised ;)

You can use your phone just like any other camera, though creative controls may be limited. Some things you can't really do is shoot sport and wildlife with long telephoto lenses, and the phone's tiny sensor means that control of depth-of-field (for those deliberately blurry background effects) is pretty much impossible. But otherwise, go for it.

And great photography is much less about the actual kit, and all about an interesting subject, taken in good light, properly composed, and with perfect timing. Some basic photographic knowledge will help though, to better understand what's possible, how to optimise situations, and what to do if things don't turn out quite right. And that's what most of this forum is about really. So welcome to TP :)

Last edited:
Don't feel inferior - it's actually the rest of us who are way behind the imaging curve these days. Smartphones are ridiculously good now (which is why most of the world uses them!) considering their theoretical limitations. Dedicated cameras have many advantages of course, but when it comes to connectivity and getting our stuff on-line, we've got some serious catching up to do. In terms of image quality, check out this recent thread comparing an iPhone to a top-end DSLR https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/iphone-6s-vs-nikon-d800.605640/

You can use your phone just like any other camera, though creative controls may be limited. Some things you can't really do is shoot sport and wildlife with long telephoto lenses, and the phone's tiny sensor means that control of depth-of-field (for those deliberately blurry background effects) is pretty much impossible. But otherwise, go for it.

And great photography is much less about the actual kit, and all about an interesting subject, taken in good light, properly composed, and with perfect timing. Some basic photographic knowledge will help though, to better understand what's possible, how to optimise situations, and what to do if things don't turn out quite right. And that's what most of this forum is about really. So welcome to TP :)

Couldn't have put it better myself!

Deffo don't feel inferior. The size of your kit isn't the important thing :p, it's the size of your passion, commitment, imagination and creativity and that kind of stuff, to get the best out of every photographic situation

As far as the iPhone is concerned, there's some great Apps out there for photography to try, like ProCam, and Fast Camera once you get comfortable with the basics.

It was using my iPhone that got me back in to photography

Like others have mentioned with good lighting you can get an excellent picture with an iPhone

'The best camera is the one that you have with you' Nothing wrong with using it as a phone camera is what most people will have on them at all times.

I met somebody a few weeks ago who said they were semi pro and only used an iphone 6, they laughed at the fact that i owned a D3200 and said that they could get much better photos on their iphone. I checked their Instagram and they took some of the worst photos i'd ever seen, most were out of focus, dark and badly composed. Semi pro my ass.

If you can get decent photos out of your phone then go for it, a photo is a photo at the end of the day. I've seen some photos taken on iphones that are better than anything i could achieve.

I take photos on my phone and on my Canon. It was my iPhone that got me into photography and I love some of the photos on there, especially of my dogs where I have had to take quick images. And don't worry about competing against anyone, people on here are great and offer great advice if you want to improve in your photography, angles, lighting etc.

I did an iPhone challenge on Flickr and really enjoyed it. My 6 Plus is great. Especially for street or impromptu snaps.

I started with iPhone and instagram... Absolutely loved it and like has been said, endless apps and stuff!
I have a Sony z3 now and whilst it's good it's not a patch on the iPhone cam..

I often miss the fun aspect and keep saying I'll do a mini phone project :D

Hello Sniggle:)! It seems to me that folks here are very welcoming and non-judgmental, unless you want your pics to be critiqued. I have a non-SmartPhone which takes (I think) pretty good photos.

I have a new compact camera which is right for me at the mo'. I also have two older film cameras. I've only found fellow forum folks to be helpful and encouraging. I hope you stick around. I've found the tutorials very helpful.

If you 'do' Amazon, there are some very reasonable Kindle offerings (books/guides) - I won't post a link because it might be against the rules. Just go to the Kindle section and search for 'digital photography'.

Good luck!

Last edited:
'The best camera is the one that you have with you' Nothing wrong with using it as a phone camera is what most people will have on them at all times.
Curiously, I'm more likely to have a camera on me than a 'phone!.. and even if I did, until last year, 'phone didn't have a camera in it!
Belive it or not,i tend to use my phone for phone calls :D
I tend to use OTHER-PEOPLE'S phones.... Usually to call MY phone and find where I left it! :) No.. actually, thinking about it, I tend to get other people to use other people's 'phones to call my phone, to find where I left it!

I was actually convinced to 'get into the twenty first century, DAD!' last year, and buy a more up-to-date 'phone... and completely bamboozled my critics who expected me to get 'their' idea of an 'up-to-date' 'phone.... "THAT'S worse than what you HAD!" they exclaimed, "It twice the size and, and, and... it has BUTTONS!"...yeah, I like buttons! Preferably BIG, well spaced, buttons so I can actually press one, rather than three at a time!! "WHY did you buy 'THAT!" they asked.... "Well... I explained... apparently the battery will last three months without being charged.. mean that when I ask you to call it, so I can try and find where I left it, it MIGHT still be switched on!" LoL!

But, not adding much to the thread, really, other than to suggest that there are still 'some' folk who have remained aloof of the 'wired' world! So....

Daughter is the master of the camera-phone in this house.. mine is apparently a 'potato' though.. she was trying to do 'something' with water-drops on the lens for her O-Level photo a while back, and getting in a quandary about getting her 'new' fancy-fone wet, so I suggested she use mine, 'cos a) some-one aught to! b) its water-proof c) Although its supposed to be nie on indestructible... I wouldn't miss it much if it's circuits DID get fried!... "NO Dad... its a 'potato'..."

However.. was quite remarkable, that for O-Level 'photo course, not just my daughter, but her whole class, did more with mobile-telephones than they did 'proper' cameras, and more remarkable just how 'creative' they got with them!

Actually 'lacking' the sophistication of a dedicated photo-maker, the 'limitations' of a camera 'phone, not having the 'options' of changing lenses or selecting aperture and shutter settings, or ramping to high ISO's in low-light, were actually 'exploited' by her teacher to get them away from looking 'at' the camera, and looking at what they wanted a picture of! (He went to the head of the class, in my book for that comment!)

He got them considering the composition, considering more carefully their 'subject' and other 'elements' in the scene; the back-ground and the all important 'lighting'.. their 'work-books' were quite fascinating to look at, and very heartening to see how much they did do 'outside' the camera messing with back-drops and props and 'lights'... daughter actually got a bit carried away with that one and 6m of Electro-Luminouse cabling! ad a set of battery operated Christmas tree fairly lights! But still! An awful lot of 'craft' was still learned and utilised... and an awful lot of imagination shown.

One more depressing 'bit' though was when they used 'phone-ap 'post-process' filters. One touch 'effects'... to make very carefully conceived pictures look like any other bit of face-book rubbish! But the they had to look at that to consider 'style' and why those filters were 'popular' and how to get that 'style' without resorting to post-process 'tricks'... hence putting things like toffee wrappers in front of the lens... apparently a Worthers original paper, with the foil peeled off, creates a very similar effect to an instagram 'Antique Sepia'.... bits of card with holes cut in them were also used, so was tissue paper, and the afore mentioned beads of water.... some-times coloured with cake dye!

Which is a little illuminating to an old Luddite like me, to reconsider preconceptions about the things, and ponder that perhaps they don't really DENY so many creative opportunities as beg you to try DIFFERENT ones... Provided your 'phone's not a potato like mine, apparently!

Although!!!!! I have discovered my potato-phone has a very useful 'Flash' that has bee an invaluable aid to 'night-time' photography! - If I press and hold the 5-button.. it comes 'on' as a 'torch'! GREAT for hunting out stuff from my camera bag or avoiding cow-pats walking across a pitch-black field! ;-) - Bludy expensive 'torch' though, but 'easy to find.. so long as I have some-one on hand with another telephone ;-)

Have to say I love being creative with my iPhone camera as much as my DSLRs. I like the restrictions ;-)

One of my favourite pictures of our kids was taken with a phone, as others have said its having a phone or camera with you at the time to capture the moment. Its the moment that matters more not the MP count or camera model - unless its a potato of course:)

Back