Critique Iris flower

Gav.

Challenge Owner
Name
Gav
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

First Iris to open, so I thought I'd have a go at shooting it, it's very short at around 100mm tall, so I tried isolating it with flash.

Any feedback or crit' welcome as always :)

Thanks for looking

Gav

EDIT - re-edit image post #12

IRIS by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

Last edited:
Like it, the DOF looks pretty good and the black sets the whole off well. The yellow and white features really set it off.

Really good, if you will allow one tiny nit-pick on my monitor the front edge of the lower left petal is almost lost in the background but that is being very picky. The light and colours are very good

Really good, if you will allow one tiny nit-pick on my monitor the front edge of the lower left petal is almost lost in the background but that is being very picky. The light and colours are very good
Thank you, I didn't notice that, I will have another go tomorrow if the flower holds on for a bit longer, failing that a tweak in software.
Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback(y)
Gav

Thank you, I didn't notice that, I will have another go tomorrow if the flower holds on for a bit longer, failing that a tweak in software.
Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback(y)
Gav
A spot of dodging with the adjustment brush in software should do it, it doesn't need much

A spot of dodging with the adjustment brush in software should do it, it doesn't need much
Thanks, I will have a go with that (y) although I do want to try more angles anyway as it's a lovely flower and hard to find the right view

Personally I like it but from feedback on my images some do not like black backgrounds. Well done.

Hi

I had a look back and followed your advice and came up with the following, hope I've understood, but I fear I may have gone a little too far

Thanks again

IRIS-01 by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

Last edited:
What a great image lots of impact. The colours and lighting are so good.
Biggest thing for me is the pov. Which makes the flower look so imoressive.

Keep um coming.

Gaz

Nice one, Gav.
Iris`s are so photogenic, and you got everything just right (y)

Very nice indeed.
Have you considered focus stacking?
Thank you, I want to try, my PC isn't up to the job and crashes, I'm awaiting a new one then fingers crossed I'll be doing that soon :)

Back