Irrational hatred of Macs

Raymond Lin

I am Groot
Name
Raymond
Edit My Images
No
I am contemplating my next PC and have not ruled out going the Mac route, simply because I do not play games, i don't really want to, nor bothered about upgrades and hardware plus every person who made the switch says they couldn't be happier. Hence i have not ruled them out and jumping from Windows after 10 years of use.

Now, when i mention this to some people, "I am getting a new PC soon, might get a iMac", the reaction was "Eeewwwwww, what do you want to do that for?" as if I just said I wanted to catch syphilis or something. I agree that they cost a good 20% more for than the similar spec PC, depending if you buy pre-built or self built, but other than that, I don't think that's the reason of the "Eeeewwwww" factor. Everyone says OSX is beautiful to use and the environment of the OS is just very intuitive, some say Windows layout makes no sense even.

But, why the "Eeeewwwww" ?

Aye, I'd go along with pxl8's comment. I don't hate PC's to be honest, and still have a Dell Latitude (which has an awesome 1200*1600 screen) and that I think very highly of, however it's no match for the general feel and aesthetic ease of use of my OSx and my Macbook.

Found them hard work... Didnt like mine at all and went back to PC .. Unless you ahve the incentive to learn a new way of doing things then theres not much point... I run a clean PC.. Always keeping the HD clean.. only have software I use... Never seen a game on it.. I know how it runs and how to keep check on everything..

Was given an imac with the possibility of programming for it... Just didnt like it at all... But then again i dont suffer from problems on my PC .. neither do a lot of people.. they just get sucked into the hype that they might have problems..

PS I dont hate Macs or PCs ... just Amigas....Atari Rulez :) :)

i'd say ew because from experience i find macs backwards and don't understand why anyone uses them

I took ages to make the decision to switch kept uming and arring and final did it. I like it very much it just does what it says on the box.

Installing and un-installing stuff is a breeze, I like the interface and get on very well with it.

I used to be always diving behind the scenes with windows and tweaking this and that and tinkering but I have not done anything like this on the mac.

For one I do not feel the need to do so and for another I would not know where to start.

If in doubt the best think to do is what I did and camp out in the apple store trying the different systems and bombarding the staff with questions.

I was in the store on Saturdays for about 3 months I even started taking in my own images on 4 gig key with my actions to ensure I could get on with the machine and aperture. In the end they were giving me the odd cup of tea.

Go have a play I am sure you will like the machines.

Nigel

Well my experiences of mac's so far have given the impression that they are a pain in the arse and more expensive.

the old debate rears its head again. I did the pc to mac switch. not found it to be a pain in the arse and the integration with add on equipment is so much more fluent.

Also with regard to photography Aperture is a fantastic piece of software. It integrates with Photoshop so well, but I find I use photoshop less and less these days as Aperture does most of what i need.

I prefer windows, because I'm under the illusion that I have more 'control' over the OS, and a more comprehensive access to, and understanding of, the system files etc. I guess for me it's like the first time I picked up an ipod and thought 'wtf, there's no off switch'. I suppose it's just a new way of looking at things (and with apple that seems to have proven to be a good thing).

I would never swap fully to OSX I don't think. But it's definitely something that I don't mind using when needed (final cut mainly).

i made the move to Macs a few months ago. It would take an awful lot to make me move back.

As previously mentioned, installing programs is a breeze, uninstalling is even better. just drag he icon to the bin and it deletes the whole program. No drivers that keep conflicting with other programs, no shared files that if you delete by accident another program wont function properly. if there is ever a problem with it, then it is repaired by apple, you dont have to try and track down the original manufacturer of the part, probably in Malaysia.
You plug something into it and it works. i recently bought a basic £20 printer, i installed it on my daughters Windows PC (vista). This involved using the disc supplied with the printer, (which installs all the horrible supplied software), restarting then installing the updated driver for Vista.
I used the same printer on my MacBook Pro, i plugged it into the USB port, the computer recognised it and i printed something. 15 seconds from start to finish.

These are just some of the reasons i like my Mac

I've had PC's since I was 14? or so, been writing software for them commercially since I was 16 (for about 14 years) until I switched to macs 2 years ago.

All my fellow developers that have taken a bit of time to have a proper play with a mac have switched, every single one of them. The beauty of the mac as far as I am concerned is that you get all of the advantages of linux (secure, reliable and incredible self configurable operating system with the power to do almost anything if you know what you are doing) with a beautiful front end that is incredibly easy to use.

The only ones I know that say 'ewwwww' are those who either haven't tried it or weren't able to adapt to use something different. Not saying that is the case for everyone, certainly it would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing, but in my experience those are the ones I get the comments from.

I still have a windows machine in the office, I have to keep one to support legacy software, but I only ever switch it on when I have to.

There should be a ban on Mac v PC threads. Everyone knows which one is better...

LOL

indeed it does - but I always feel like an observer on this subject as I use and have both mac and windows machines, I'm also an MCP ;)

Same here man. I grew up on Windows based machines. When I began working for a design agency I had to move to the Mac platform. Took a while to adjust to the new workflow but now I think it's great. Both have advantages. In fact the more I think about it if you can use both platforms then all the more better. It also allows you to have an informed opinion on discussions like these. I miss my huge Dell XPS gaming laptop, but love my MacBook Pro equally.

I was an XP user that switched to macs through my degree and design work, then took a slight twist and started down the IT track and got a Vista machine too :)

Windows for work - Mac for play ;)

EDIT: erm....and vice versa :D

No idea why the 'eeewwwww' comments, I use PC, I am very happy with it [see kipax post for why, ditto] and I have used several Mac machines and yes, very pretty front end, but so has Vista, and XP isn't exactly a slapped ass is it. nothing is difficult, but neither is pc if you know what you are doing. But you know the one thing that drives me mad about Mac,..NO BLOODY RIGHT MOUSE CLICK!! Maybe its just me that habitually uses it on pc for so much stuff, but I hate not being able to use it. Doesn't make mac an eeewwwwww though, just different. :shrug:

edit: the caveat to this is the only macs I have ever used have belonged to non puter literates, and I have usually been sorting out something that wont work or them, so if there IS a right click method, no one has shown me, so PLEASE tell me if there is, it will make the next cry for help somewhat easier :bonk:

No idea why the 'eeewwwww' comments, I use PC, I am very happy with it [see kipax post for why, ditto] and I have used several Mac machines and yes, very pretty front end, but so has Vista, and XP isn't exactly a slapped ass is it. nothing is difficult, but neither is pc if you know what you are doing. But you know the one thing that drives me mad about Mac,..NO BLOODY RIGHT MOUSE CLICK!! Maybe its just me that habitually uses it on pc for so much stuff, but I hate not being able to use it. Doesn't make mac an eeewwwwww though, just different. :shrug:

Yv there is a right click function it just has to be enabled...

Hope your well...

Nigel

Yv - note: there IS a right mouse click, it's a common misunderstanding of non Mac users that there is no right mouse click. THERE IS RIGHT MOUSE CLICK.

Yv - note: there IS a right mouse click, it's a common misunderstanding of non Mac users that there is no right mouse click. THERE IS RIGHT MOUSE CLICK.

Well, that depends. It's not technically a right mouse click... unless you have a two button mouse.

Yv, the first thing you should do is this... ctrl+alt+apple+8. It makes your computer uber fast and l33t.

edit: the caveat to this is the only macs I have ever used have belonged to non puter literates, and I have usually been sorting out something that wont work or them, so if there IS a right click method, no one has shown me, so PLEASE tell me if there is, it will make the next cry for help somewhat easier :bonk:

There most certainly is a right click! Either plug a mouse in with 2 mouse buttons, or if using a trackpad then go to System Preferences->Trackpad and check 'Tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click'. I now hate going back to trackpads with 2 mouse buttons, they feel so cumbersome.

PS I dont hate Macs or PCs ... just Amigas....Atari Rulez :) :)

now there is a whole new argument ;o)

not sure why people hate Macs...someone at work said the same the other day, when asked if they had ever used one they said "no"....hmmm!? I sometimes wonder whether it's the whole image of Macs that people hate rather that the hardware/software?

I am contemplating my next PC and have not ruled out going the Mac route, simply because I do not play games, i don't really want to, nor bothered about upgrades and hardware plus every person who made the switch says they couldn't be happier. Hence i have not ruled them out and jumping from Windows after 10 years of use.

Now, when i mention this to some people, "I am getting a new PC soon, might get a iMac", the reaction was "Eeewwwwww, what do you want to do that for?" as if I just said I wanted to catch syphilis or something. I agree that they cost a good 20% more for than the similar spec PC, depending if you buy pre-built or self built, but other than that, I don't think that's the reason of the "Eeeewwwww" factor. Everyone says OSX is beautiful to use and the environment of the OS is just very intuitive, some say Windows layout makes no sense even.

But, why the "Eeeewwwww" ?

Frankly because it seems to be a two-way street.

If you were on the other side of the strret you would be asking the same question...duh!

Example.... a snip from a recent email discussion with a buddy of mine...

He was eulogising about Mac/OSX and Safari being the 'best' browser...

My reply...

"I really got tired of the mac / pc issue a very long time ago and it always seems to me that mac/imac/iphone folks just have to proselytise - just sounds like Jehovah’s Witnesses to me …or the ‘Noink’ vs ‘Nonac’ altercations that arise on photo newsgroups etc.

To quote him "a proper machine (MAC) with a proper browser (Safari)’…..my reply...or am I supposed to retort ‘what about a z10 IBM mainframe’ ;-)"

What a good operating system means to you is more or less what works for you.

YOU want to go MAC then go do it....find out for yourself how wonderful or not it turns out to be for YOU.

Why even post this?....go do it and find out....

Yawn!

Vista Ultimate works for me.

Postscript....My buddy tells me he keeps a Windows image (VMWARE...MACWare? not sure...) however there is a bunch of stuff he has to run on his MAC using WINDOWS whatever 'that won't run on MAC/OS itself'...

Go figure.

jamie

There is..! Just needs switching on! ;) (Even with the "Mighty Mouse", with one button.)

I am a new Mac owner (all of two days,) and already I doubt I'll ever swap back to a Windows machine tbh.:D

Well, that depends. It's not technically a right mouse click... unless you have a two button mouse.
Errrrm... how does one right click on a darned PC with a single button mouse then... derrrr!!

Of course it requires a two button mouse! Sheesh!

On a Macbook, you can hold the ctrl button and click - gives you right click.

Errrrm... how does one right click on a darned PC with a single button mouse then... derrrr!!

Of course it requires a two button mouse! Sheesh!

On a Macbook, you can hold the ctrl button and click - gives you right click.

Um, what? When was the last time you saw a PC with a single mouse button mouse? I think one of us misread a post somewhere :D

i dont have anything against macs per say, just more with people that insist it is better than windows.

i prefer windows, why? because it works and i have had it since i was a kid. it doesnt give me any problems and i can use it. if something goes wrong i know roughly whee to look to find settings to fix it.

would i have a mac? probably not, because windows works and im happy, why change it.

i recently got a new netbook(the asda ones) with linux on it, tried to put one program on and i need to search the net on how to get it to work and dl other programs to make it work. can i be bothered to adjust? no, it seems hard work so i will get a copy of xp on it and problem sorted.

if your happy with windows, use it. if you want a mac, get one. either way, make sure your happy with what you have and not worry what the bloke in the next seat thinks.

Um, what? When was the last time you saw a PC with a single mouse button mouse? I think one of us misread a post somewhere :D
Yes KayJay, you are right... was a little hot off the mouse there, my apologies to ya.(y)

I had the ewwwww attitude. Why? Fear of the unknown as previously stated.
I remember looking at one in PC world, thinking how cool the OS looked and dismissing it when I realised it wasn't windows.
I think people have a quick mess in PC world and when they can't do something instantly, just decide that it's not for them.
Then I got sick of windows being unstable, I'm sorry to all you experts out there but I certainly don't know how to keep XP reliable. So I went mac.
A mate of mine came round for a play and had no idea how to use my mac, I think this puts people off. It takes a couple of days to work things out and that's probably the biggest hurdle and a source of the ewwwwwww.
I have not had one second where I have thought this is a mistake, I can't see me switching back, I don't trust microsoft products any more.

I agree that they cost a good 20% more for than the similar spec PC

Not if you compare like for like. Other than the Cinema displays, which are about £150 more than an equivalent, if you compare like for like they're priced the same, or less in some cases.

The MacBooks cost no more than an equivalent Dell for example, and try buying a Dual processor MacPro spec machine for less money. ;) I actually know people that have bought MACs to run windows on because it was cheaper.

Pete

I recently bought a Macbook to replace a Vista laptop. It's loverly. I was a little confused initially but that wore off when I worked out that I was trying to overcomplicate things. My subconscious could not grasp that things were so simple.

Clearly time will tell if the machine slows up as windows machines inevitably do, but not having to worrk over virus checkers, having easy access to everything that I need and generally it being really nice to use is great. Plus I've had 5 hours + battery life with WiFi on, never found a PC with that.

All said it's a personal choice. I thought it an expensive choice, but I do believe I got value for money.

As for the poster who remarked that PCs were good as they kept it clean, tinkered and tweaked it, etc. Well, wouldn't it be nice if that wasn't necessary at all? That's what you get for your money.

Plus Office is waaaaay better on the Mac than PC ;-) (which is most odd as an MS product).

Not if you compare like for like. Other than the Cinema displays, which are about £150 more than an equivalent, if you compare like for like they're priced the same, or less in some cases.

The MacBooks cost no more than an equivalent Dell for example, and try buying a Dual processor MacPro spec machine for less money. ;) I actually know people that have bought MACs to run windows on because it was cheaper.

Pete

Nonesense. Macs are much more expensive for a direct equivalent (you need to consider the peripherals as well as the processors).

I considered this when buying mine. Still think it's value for money though. Definitely.

Nonesense. Macs are much more expensive for a direct equivalent (you need to consider the peripherals as well as the processors).

I considered this when buying mine. Still think it's value for money though. Definitely.

OK find me a cheaper PC than the standard MacPro. With dual quad core 2.8Ghz processors...

Back