Irrational hatred of Macs

I prefer windows, because I'm under the illusion that I have more 'control' over the OS, and a more comprehensive access to, and understanding of, the system files etc. I guess for me it's like the first time I picked up an ipod and thought 'wtf, there's no off switch'. I suppose it's just a new way of looking at things (and with apple that seems to have proven to be a good thing).

I would never swap fully to OSX I don't think. But it's definitely something that I don't mind using when needed (final cut mainly).

Well put, very honest - in a similair situation, but I now prefer OSX

im currently saving for a macbook at the moment having gotten fed up with the res and speed of my laptop

I prefer windows, because I'm under the illusion that I have more 'control' over the OS, and a more comprehensive access to, and understanding of, the system files etc. I guess for me it's like the first time I picked up an ipod and thought 'wtf, there's no off switch'. I suppose it's just a new way of looking at things (and with apple that seems to have proven to be a good thing).

I would never swap fully to OSX I don't think. But it's definitely something that I don't mind using when needed (final cut mainly).

Actually, it was this "illusion of having more control" that made me run away from Windows.

Keep in mind, as much as I do not like to use Windows, it is a fantastic piece of OS. Even with all its flaws, it is simply fantastic, and I love M$ for providing it to us (this was at a time when M$ wasn't as big as it is now, wasn't as dominant in the market as it is now, and when other OS developers had a much better advantage over M$ .. still, it's M$ that survived, by giving us something that works on so many different types of platforms).

Mac, and OS X, is just that much simpler to use and get on with the job. I have come too tired of tweaking my machines, been doing it since the Altair, Sharp MZ-80A, etc. etc.; and now I just want a machine that I can switch on and get on with things. Frankly, nothing is smoother than a Mac running OS X.

Also, worth keeping in mind, Apple is partly owned by M$; how much does that imply that intellectual property does get migrated (one way or the other) is anyone's guess.

But in the end, what anyone should realise is that these two OS are not for the same Personal Computers. While Windows is designed to work, on practically any PC out there, OS X is deigned as an exclusive OS for a limited set of PCs. Hence, what M$ have given us is an OS, that's akin, to something that runs all our home appliances; while Apple gave us an OS that only run the one appliance.

Now that I am back with Mac, I am ever the happier and am working to upgrade all my home PCs to Mac.

Price wise, if Mac is a bit more expensive to acquire, I am sure you make up for that in other ways (what an end-user have to keep in mind is Total Cost of Ownership, and not just the purchase price).

Actually, it was this "illusion of having more control" that made me run away from Windows.

Keep in mind, as much as I do not like to use Windows, it is a fantastic piece of OS. Even with all its flaws, it is simply fantastic, and I love M$ for providing it to us (this was at a time when M$ wasn't as big as it is now, wasn't as dominant in the market as it is now, and when other OS developers had a much better advantage over M$ .. still, it's M$ that survived, by giving us something that works on so many different types of platforms).

Mac, and OS X, is just that much simpler to use and get on with the job. I have come too tired of tweaking my machines, been doing it since the Altair, Sharp MZ-80A, etc. etc.; and now I just want a machine that I can switch on and get on with things. Frankly, nothing is smoother than a Mac running OS X.

Also, worth keeping in mind, Apple is partly owned by M$; how much does that imply that intellectual property does get migrated (one way or the other) is anyone's guess.

But in the end, what anyone should realise is that these two OS are not for the same Personal Computers. While Windows is designed to work, on practically any PC out there, OS X is deigned as an exclusive OS for a limited set of PCs. Hence, what M$ have given us is an OS, that's akin, to something that runs all our home appliances; while Apple gave us an OS that only run the one appliance.

Now that I am back with Mac, I am ever the happier and am working to upgrade all my home PCs to Mac.

Price wise, if Mac is a bit more expensive to acquire, I am sure you make up for that in other ways (what an end-user have to keep in mind is Total Cost of Ownership, and not just the purchase price).

One thing that you said there, made me think of something - that I am coming to realise, once again, at what a pain in the neck it is to keep Windows running smoothly is, having tweak, clean and defrag on a schedule - where as on my mac I use 1 unix app and one click to do all this.

Would you be kind enough to share the name of that application with us, please?!

As it used to happen, Windows / DOS used to have some really good utilities that did just that (Norton Commander was one of them); but Windows grew to be so huge it's now a continent of integrated mish-mash that is necessary to accommodate the huge range of peripherals. Pity really, as I truly love M$.

My only gripe with apple is that because they are pecieved as the cool underdog they are allowed to get away with anti-competetive practice that would have the courts (Especially the European court) all over Microsoft like a fat kid on a cake tray.

Other than that they've made some very cool kit and by controlling there OS they have kept it fast reliable and secure, they also have an uncanny nack of making products that are not necessarily the best on the market the most desirable which means they get away with the price premium.

Actually, it's sweet that you mention that in favor of M$.

I've always followed that company very closely since their inception and the funny side of their success is that it is not due to their wonderful strategies or products, but it's because of the failings of the rest in the PC market to keep on surviving!

M$ didn't create DOS, Word, Access, Vision .. to name a few of their today's successful products. Also, the OS war wasn't about M$ being a monopoly, there used to be a huge different and fragmented market of PCs with their respectively isolated OS (Atari, Amiga, Tandy, PET, Sharp, Epson, to list a very few). What M$ did was offer them a unified OS (CPM) which, again, wasn't M$'s invention :p

Adding to the demise of the OS market is the failing of IBM, when they were an IT world class leader, to deliver a good OS (there was PC-DOS and OS/2). Both failed miserably and both contributed to make M$ DOS and Windows the dominant player.

It is my believe that M$, a) are not monopolistic any more than many other industries; b) have reached their status not because of their success in product design and marketing but because of the failing of others.

A couple of things that I admire M$ for is their ability to "see" what the market needs & wants, go out and acquire that to integrated into one seamless platform.

Just think, if there was no M$, no Windows (as was the case no too long back); how much harder and more complicated it would be to use the various PC applications!

But, Windows has grown too big for my liking and too complicated for me to keep abreast of; hence, I am very happy with Mac and OS X. Still, I support and advocate M$ as much as I can.

Would you be kind enough to share the name of that application with us, please?!

As it used to happen, Windows / DOS used to have some really good utilities that did just that (Norton Commander was one of them); but Windows grew to be so huge it's now a continent of integrated mish-mash that is necessary to accommodate the huge range of peripherals. Pity really, as I truly love M$.

The app I use on osx is MainMenu - http://www.santasw.com/

(y), thanks for the link.

Read my edit John, HOW???? Would love to know bcause various friends with them have NO idea at all!

Errrrm... how does one right click on a darned PC with a single button mouse then... derrrr!!

Of course it requires a two button mouse! Sheesh!

Of course macs have a right-click. You can either use any two-button mouse or..... click down on the RIGHT side of a 'single-button' mac mouse and VOILA! - a right click.

Generally speaking if someone tells you 'Macs are rubbish' or 'PCs are rubbish' you can pretty much stop listening there and then.

Both are excellent at certain things and poorer at others. Personally I think that if you need your computing hardware to define your sense of identity, there are some serious personal shortfalls to consider ;)

just more with people that insist it is better than windows.
Define 'better'!

I can't appreciate why this debate reoccurs time and time again when it can never be settled.

Though if this sort of debate floats your boat, get over to OCUK where they love this argument on a daily basis!

Generally speaking if someone tells you 'Macs are rubbish' or 'PCs are rubbish' you can pretty much stop listening there and then.

Both are excellent at certain things and poorer at others. Personally I think that if you need your computing hardware to define your sense of identity, there are some serious personal shortfalls to consider ;)

Wasn't this matter settled in another thread with lens sizes :p

Personally, I am so shallow that I need so many materialistic items to identify who and what I am ... my MacBook is just one of them :p, the other being my lack of self esteem until my 200-400VR arrives :LOL:

Also if you ever get a real fix and need that something extra - grab IceClean

Great (y) (y)

May be you can start a new thread for "Cool Mac Utilities"? I am sure that would go well :)

Great (y) (y)

May be you can start a new thread for "Cool Mac Utilities"? I am sure that would go well :)

ah, but then the windows folk will be shouting "What about Windows Utilities?!" :D

I used to blog this stuff - bit then lost interest in blogging really.

Macs are easily the most innovative and intuitive when it comes to user interfaces.

I can't wait for the new mac wheel to come out - see link here... though I think I'll still have to use my PC for work.

Hmm. A laptop that takes 40min to write an email and needs recharging every 20min! Sounds like an efficiency dream come true!

Macs are easily the most innovative and intuitive when it comes to user interfaces.

I can't wait for the new mac wheel to come out - see link here... though I think I'll still have to use my PC for work.

Sadly, this is not going to pick up .. or so, I believe.

There are many limitations to that method of input, one of which is the social barrier. As it is, current QWERTY keyboards were designed to slow (yes, slow) down typing, this was so as not to get the hammers from jamming in together. There have been many "better" developments of the keyboard but people just got to accept the QWERTY format ... it's a social thing :shrug:.

Also, the Wheel means that you have to constantly be looking at the screen to see what's being typed. Many people today type without a look into the keyboard nor the screen. Even on mobile phones, people can SMS without the need to look at the screen, but not with T9 input where the user needs to make a selection as to what is being requested.

It is a nice move forward in changing out interaction with the PC, but just as the track pad, mouse, track ball, graphics tablet, voice input .. nothing will replace the keyboard .... even if we perfect voice input, people will not want to be speaking to a machine (noise, not wanting others to know what they're up to etc.). Again, it is a social thing.

Sadly, this is not going to pick up .. or so, I believe.

There are many limitations to that method of input, one of which is the social barrier. As it is, current QWERTY keyboards were designed to slow (yes, slow) down typing, this was so as not to get the hammers from jamming in together. There have been many "better" developments of the keyboard but people just got to accept the QWERTY format ... it's a social thing :shrug:.

Also, the Wheel means that you have to constantly be looking at the screen to see what's being typed. Many people today type without a look into the keyboard nor the screen. Even on mobile phones, people can SMS without the need to look at the screen, but not with T9 input where the user needs to make a selection as to what is being requested.

It is a nice move forward in changing out interaction with the PC, but just as the track pad, mouse, track ball, graphics tablet, voice input .. nothing will replace the keyboard .... even if we perfect voice input, people will not want to be speaking to a machine (noise, not wanting others to know what they're up to etc.). Again, it is a social thing.

I do hope you realise that the Macbook Wheel(or whatever it's called) is actually a wind up/fake item and there's several video's floating about on the net showing what appears to be a credible Apple product launch.

Michael.

OK! Someone was pulling my leg there, and I fell for it :annoyed:

When owning a Mac makes me a better photographer/designer i will switch :)

just playin with ya but fair enough ;)

at the end of the day the computer is a tool - the user brings the skill and knowledge :)

I am planning, when I reach 21 next year(!), to replace my pc.

I brought a publication yesterday called "Switch to Mac!". It's a Future publication and is designed for all prospective/new mac users to give them a guide on macs and the software.

A useful publication to help me make the decision.

At the moment my heart and head are in agreement the new computer will be a pc. Just want to make sure it's the right decison for me.

all depends what you are actually going to do with the computer - loads of the usual stuff plus games or tech related then windows, general stuff and office stuff only then a mac is an option.

at the end of the day the computer is a tool - the user brings the skill and knowledge :)

Apple / Mac is to computers what Ann Summers is to woman's lingerie; with that, the tools that Ann Summers sell adds a whole different perspective on one's life :p

On the flip side, Windows is akin to your S&M sex shop!

I hope this clears things out once and for all. Now, whichever you choose to like / use / try out is all down to your individual taste, wants and needs.

Apple / Mac is to computers what Ann Summers is to woman's lingerie; with that, the tools that Ann Summers sell adds a whole different perspective on one's life :p

On the flip side, Windows is akin to your S&M sex shop!

I hope this clears things out once and for all. Now, whichever you choose to like / use / try out is all down to your individual taste, wants and needs.

I like that analogy :)

I was under the impression that macs were better for graphic design and image editing ?

*hard hat on, heading for the bunker *

Talking from personal experience - they are ;)

Certainly ability to do good video editing will be a factor.

I used to be one of the 'eeeewsers' :)p)

I think it's a lack of experience with the platform that rules it out as an overpriced beyond-my-means-so-I'll-justify-not-having-it kind of situation where I don't particularly think anyone would turn down a mac, but rather that it seems a teeny bit beyond the budget of most regular users to procure one when they're so entrenched in the PC/windows platform.

I love using macs for video editing and photo editing, there's something about them that is definitely a lot more conducive to the environment than Vista or XP; it's kind of like an extension of the 'creative space' that we surround ourselves in when we work where we feel in that particular mindset. That and Final Cut Pro feels like the mutt's nuts to use compared to past versions of Premier (however, in their defence the latest CS version is pretty tasty).

But alas, I have not the money for a mac, and so a dell does the business for now.

Applications wise, i've only done video editing on a mac and that was back at uni - but osx have some good applications for that dunno about windows.

PS I dont hate Macs or PCs ... just Amigas....Atari Rulez :) :)

I still have a 1040ST in the spare room ! - I just can't part with it for some reason.....

Back to the OP; I use both on a regular basis and have to say that the Mac is far more enjoyable to use. I have a fairly decent laptop running Vista on a 22" wide screen monitor but the Imac is just, well better...

Even running MS Office on the Mac is nicer than on the PC. I also have a desktop and another works laptop, both running XP, so I've had to learn to get to grips with jumping from one to the other.

I'd rather run my Imac than any of the others, but that may be because I'm still finding the novelty factor in it :D

Steve

Back