Is an RX10 iv going to frustrate me?

Name
Adam (if you couldn't guess...)
Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

I've used various DSLR cameras over the years, early Nikon (D80 - D90) then canons (Started with a 40d finished with a 1DsMkiii) for a long time and finally a few years ago a Fuji X-T1.
We had kids and I didn't use much more than my iPhone which does all the portrait shots I could ever want. (although the Fuji 35mm is something else)
However I am hankering after something with more reach for wildlife (Possibly incl. BIF and possibly Planes in Flight)

I'd settled on a used X-H1 and 100-400 but last night I started reading about the RX10 series and how good the iv is.
It appeals because its lightweight, I can just grab and go, it has excellent reach and incredible IQ for a "bridge" but its only £300 shy of the used Fuji kit I am looking at.

What I am not sure about is
- if the controls will annoy me, being used to Dslr for the last 15 years or so
- if the EVF is comparable to the fuji. I am not an EVF fan but I understand they're much better on the later Fujis (X-T1 was so-so)
- I can always upgrade the fuji body in the future if I need to

Last edited:
Adam, I have all the kit you're talking about both an X-H1 & 100-400mm, and also an RX10M4. If you don't need to go wider than the 24mm equivalent focal length and can make do with the extremely good 1" sensor then for me it's a no brainer. The RX10M4 optically is easily as good as any of the Fuji zoom lenses and at the longer end it is working at F4. The interface is different and can take a time or two getting used to but once you've got used to it then it's no problem. As for the EVF only you can decide if it suits you but I certainly have no problems with it, and as for the handling it handles very similar to a DSLR or X-H1 with faster auto focus and more frames per second than the X-H1 & 100-400mm and of course it's a lot lighter.

My advice to you is to hightail it to a photo store and try an RX10M4 in the hand, I'd be surprised if your disappointed.

Adam, I have all the kit you're talking about both an X-H1 & 100-400mm, and also an RX10M4. If you don't need to go wider than the 24mm equivalent focal length and can make do with the extremely good 1" sensor then for me it's a no brainer. The RX10M4 optically is easily as good as any of the Fuji zoom lenses and at the longer end it is working at F4. The interface is different and can take a time or two getting used to but once you've got used to it then it's no problem. As for the EVF only you can decide if it suits you but I certainly have no problems with it, and as for the handling it handles very similar to a DSLR or X-H1 with faster auto focus and more frames per second than the X-H1 & 100-400mm and of course it's a lot lighter.

My advice to you is to hightail it to a photo store and try an RX10M4 in the hand, I'd be surprised if your disappointed.
Thank you! That certainly re-enforces what I have read but I appreciate the view when you have both sets of kit for a direct comparison :)
We're still pretty much under self imposed lockdown here, so I have ordered from Amazon (not in stock many places!) and will see how I get on!

Thank you! That certainly re-enforces what I have read but I appreciate the view when you have both sets of kit for a direct comparison :)
We're still pretty much under self imposed lockdown here, so I have ordered from Amazon (not in stock many places!) and will see how I get on!

You're very welcome, "ENJOY".

+1 to all that George has said regarding the RX10 iv.

I have the X-H1 and the XT-3 and 4 together with the 50-140 and the 100-400mm and whilst I am absolutely delighted with the Fuji's, the Sony is a staggeringly good camera. I bought it on the strength of some of the photo's on this forum, countless hours of YouTube reviews and was lucky enough to be able to handle one during the Covid gap. I thought it was superb, ergonomically perfect for me and, as I took the X-H1 and the 100-400mm along to compare, so light!

Whilst it is perhaps not in the same league, build quality wise ,as the Fuji's (the X-H1 is an exceptionaly well made camera), it more than makes up for it by its weight, or lack of, in comparison. The Zeiss lens is a marvel of engineering and optically superb. My back loves it and it covers an enormous focal length range.

The menu takes a bit of learning, is not as logical as Fuji's but I do have an RX100 iv which helped enormously on the initial learning curve.

If you do keep the one you have ordered I would suggest a protection filter and, as it is a very complicated piece of electronic widgetry, the Sony 3 year warranty (WEX matched BC at £65) which provides 4 years total piece of mind. I also bought the Brotec glass LCD protector and Alexander White's Kindle guide to the RX10iv off Amazon.

I love mine, wish I had thought of it sooner, and hope that it meets your expectations.

The menu takes a bit of learning, is not as logical as Fuji's but I do have an RX100 iv which helped enormously on the initial learning curve.

I too have an RX100M6 which is also an "Excellent" little camera, and once again optically superb. In actual fact I had it before my RX10M4. The menu & interface is very similar to the RX10M4.

I have an RX10M3 at the moment and find it a bit slow to acquire focus - is the M4 significantly better? If so I'll be looking to upgrade as the image quality of the M3 is already good enough for me :)

I have an RX10M3 at the moment and find it a bit slow to acquire focus - is the M4 significantly better? If so I'll be looking to upgrade as the image quality of the M3 is already good enough for me :)

I am lead to believe it is a significant improvement and this is one reason that really drove me to consider it

considering all the stick Sony gets for handling sometimes the RX10 series bodies (not just mk4) are actually rather nice to handle. they are also "one of kind" (well 4 of kind :p ) and there isn't anything that really matches them fully like for like.
I have considered one myself many many times. with software like topaz Denise AI, you can get some amazing noise reduction out of your RAWs which makes smaller 1" less of a problem too from that respect.
And the lenses in RX series (regardless of 1, 10 or 100) are really top-notch. they are best in their class.

I am lead to believe it is a significant improvement and this is one reason that really drove me to consider it

In all honesty I didn't notice a massive difference when I upgraded from a Mk3 to a Mk4... two caveats though:
1. They are both brilliant in my opinion (razor sharp at f4 + 600mm equiv)
2. I am a luddite and typically only use single shot AF - I believe the continuous focus on the 4 is much better then the 3

I doubt it would frustrate you - the only weakness I find is that the quality drops off pretty quickly as you push the ISO, I rarely post anything higher than around iso800

I've owned all four models of RX10, starting from when the first one was released in 2013 and my gripes then are the same now: the battery life is poor and the relatively limited dynamic range can be a problem. With the latter, it's better to expose for the highlights as the shadows are well held.

I've owned all four models of RX10, starting from when the first one was released in 2013 and my gripes then are the same now: the battery life is poor and the relatively limited dynamic range can be a problem. With the latter, it's better to expose for the highlights as the shadows are well held.
Yes I had read that and ordered another battery with the camera…. I suspect I may add more if I do end up keeping it.
Great tip about the exposure though thank you, I will experiment

Just to put these 1" sensors into perspective I was quite surprised to see how well my TZ100 files hold up when lifting the shadows. Thinking back to my APS-C Canon 20D and FF 5D they showed noise when the shadows were lifted so I checked the review sites and found that the TZ100 has a higher dynamic range, I expect the RX10IV to too. That was a surprise to me, a 1" sensor compact having more DR than the FF 5D.

I’m getting the hang, BBF helps and limiting the ISO. I need to work out how to get more control over the focus points but I’ll RTFM.

This fellow was about 100y away
0790BEFC-DB2B-43EB-B150-C304A2E0CB5A.jpeg

I maybe shouldn't say this but I will :D I do get a bit phased by people who say they want to limit the ISO. ISO is related to shutter speed and aperture and these will be related to the light and the subject/movement. A static rabbit is one thing but something moving or in lower light will require an appropriate shutter speed, aperture and ISO so the only way to limit the ISO is to use a wider aperture, a slower shutter speed / tripod or add more light and in many cases none of these things are possible so you're left with increasing the ISO or not taking the picture. I'd always advise taking the picture.

Hope you get to grips with the new kit soon.

I maybe shouldn't say this but I will :D I do get a bit phased by people who say they want to limit the ISO. ISO is related to shutter speed and aperture and these will be related to the light and the subject/movement. A static rabbit is one thing but something moving or in lower light will require an appropriate shutter speed, aperture and ISO so the only way to limit the ISO is to use a wider aperture, a slower shutter speed / tripod or add more light and in many cases none of these things are possible so you're left with increasing the ISO or not taking the picture. I'd always advise taking the picture.

Hope you get to grips with the new kit soon.
Oh I completely agree, I am just not overly keen on the noise this seems to have on higher ISOs and at the moment I’m trying to work out the settings that work for me to get the best possible picture. Once I’m happy then I’ll give the ISO a little more freedom.
I like the look of the auto iso for a min shutter speed setting

Right, my last post here as the question has been answered really.
After several hours of reading online and tweaking settings I’m happy with the camera and I am totally sold on the benefits over the Fuji, for what I want.
My two remaining peevs are that it doesn’t come with a charger, in camera charging is annoying and the grip doesn’t quite suit my hand, my pinky slips underneath but this is an issue I’ve had with a lot of cameras.
The biggest benefit for me is using DMF, back button auto focus to get me close then touch the focus ring for superb focus peek and manual tweaking.
Still not perfect (also through a window) but I’m getting there.

1/125 600mm f/4 iso400

Attachments

• 25259A6E-C359-4228-AF85-25A86384A3B3.jpeg
    25259A6E-C359-4228-AF85-25A86384A3B3.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 17
Right, my last post here as the question has been answered really.
After several hours of reading online and tweaking settings I’m happy with the camera and I am totally sold on the benefits over the Fuji, for what I want.
My two remaining peevs are that it doesn’t come with a charger, in camera charging is annoying and the grip doesn’t quite suit my hand, my pinky slips underneath but this is an issue I’ve had with a lot of cameras.
The biggest benefit for me is using DMF, back button auto focus to get me close then touch the focus ring for superb focus peek and manual tweaking.
Still not perfect (also through a window) but I’m getting there.

1/125 600mm f/4 iso400

something like this might help your pinky problem - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Release-Vertical-Bracket-RX10III-SC-RX10III/dp/B07DVJKBS8

Sony omitting charger on a £1K+ camera is very annoying indeed. Might be worth buying a dual charger though for those smaller NP-FW50 batteries.

If they make a rx10v with the larger FZ100 batteries and no blackout EVF with electronic shutter I might just pre-order one :ROFLMAO:

something like this might help your pinky problem - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Release-Vertical-Bracket-RX10III-SC-RX10III/dp/B07DVJKBS8

Sony omitting charger on a £1K+ camera is very annoying indeed. Might be worth buying a dual charger though for those smaller NP-FW50 batteries.

If they make a rx10v with the larger FZ100 batteries and no blackout EVF with electronic shutter I might just pre-order one :ROFLMAO:

yes that’s exactly the same sort of thing I had for the X-T1 prior to having the grip, thank you that’s saved me a google!
Also now I’ve bought it, you won’t have long to wait until the V is announced!

yes that’s exactly the same sort of thing I had for the X-T1 prior to having the grip, thank you that’s saved me a google!
Also now I’ve bought it, you won’t have long to wait until the V is announced!
Yeah they'll announce it tomorrow with all the features of the A1 at £3K and I won't be able to afford it.

At least the RX10 has a mains adapter so one can charge the battery in the camera. The Fuji X-S10 just has a USB cable!

I really liked the idea of the RX, but push come to shove I just felt more reassured by the modularity of SLRs [For example, £1500 gets a very decent 7D2 and 400/5.6 or 100-400L]. It’s an excellent cam and for me its real win is the light weight take-anywhere type package even more than the sharp 600mm long end. The 7Dii and lens combo just suited me better; for starters I can find telephoto subjects far quicker with an OVF than an EVF [especially small birds in identikit foliage], and I prefer the tactility of manual zoom for birds in flight etc. I wonder how good the RX autofocus is in tricky conditions compared to the AF powerhouse in the 7D2? Maybe someone who owns both can inform. Just something to consider with these cams [and EVF’s in general - I’m rebelling!]

Given that the only time I really use a dedicated cam these days is for wildlife, I don’t miss the ‘iphone end’ of things. Still, if one came up at the right price I’d be very tempted. I do own and use a cheapie FZ82 still, which has found a niche as my ‘glovebox/dog walk/kayak’ camera, and I loved my FZ1000. For 600mm feather detail alone, I think used SLR and long lens was still the better way to spend my £1500 - weight didn’t bother me - but the quality shots here prove it’s a very nice camera indeed and it holds its own

Last edited:
I really liked the idea of the RX, but push come to shove I just felt more reassured by the modularity of SLRs [For example, £1500 gets a very decent 7D2 and 400/5.6 or 100-400L]. It’s an excellent cam and for me its real win is the light weight take-anywhere type package even more than the sharp 600mm long end. The 7Dii and lens combo just suited me better; for starters I can find telephoto subjects far quicker with an OVF than an EVF [especially small birds in identikit foliage], and I prefer the tactility of manual zoom for birds in flight etc. I wonder how good the RX autofocus is in tricky conditions compared to the AF powerhouse in the 7D2? Maybe someone who owns both can inform. Just something to consider with these cams [and EVF’s in general - I’m rebelling!]
I agree and I was very very close to the x-h1 and a 100-400 but I thought I’d give this a crack and I am glad I did.
My iPhone does anything which doesn’t need zoom, I mean it’s nothing like the 35mm 1.4 on the fuji (that has magic in it) but it does what I need and that’s the key point.

I’ve not fully pushed the AF yet, but at 600mm trying to pick a bird out of a cluttered background, it’s doing OK, but I can just nudge the focus ring and I’ve immediately got a 10x view to fine tune it. It’s obviously not as quick as pure AF so I’m sure it will cost some shots, but it is very good.

If the 100-400 and x-h1 that were/are listed in the classifieds, were on there a couple of weeks ago, I would have ended up with those and probably been very happy as well!

Last edited:
Back