Is Gimp any good

Name
Spike
Edit My Images
Yes
as the title says, I was looking for adobe photo shop when this appeared and said it was a free down load, now in my experience anything thats free is either NOT free or its rubbish.

Now as i am just starting out in photography and most of my money at the mo is going on equipment photoshop is something to save for so would this gimp program do more or less the same thing andgive me an insight as to what to expect from photshop?????

Thanks

spike

Hi Spike,

Yep, it's free, and it's honestly not rubbish either! ;) It's got many of the important features of Photoshop, and will give you a good idea of what PS can do.

Personally, having used various incarnations of Photoshop at work over the years, I find Gimp's U.I a little bit less intuitive, but that's probably just me being "stuck in my ways!" :cautious:

You could do a lot worse than start learning the editing principles with Gimp imho - especially as it's free! :) Give it a try and see how you get on!

Ian

Edit: Welcome to TP by the way! ;-)

Hi and welcome! Well it is certainly free, and definately not rubbish!
As the previous post says, the interface is a little 'clunky' and it has one or two minor issues, but you soon learn to work around these.
For free, it's well worth the money!!

I use GIMP on my work computer and Photoshop on my own computer.
In general I've found there is little GIMP won't do and indeed there are a few fringe activities GIMP does better than photoshop. But the complexity of the GIMP user interface beggers belief may make your brain go pop.

Bottom line - GIMP is very powerful but it's not as polished as Photoshop.
Knowing Photoshop helps a lot; I often find myself looking around GIMP till I find the equivalent functionality; it's usually there tucked away in some obscure corner.

Thanks for the replys

I will down load it and see how it goes, like I said its free so got nothing to loose.

Thanks again

spike

Also have a look at these sites for tutorial and munual. I found them very usefull.

(1) Tutorial (2) Manual

Baz.

I was never a fan, I found it too complicated. If you want something easier, nearly as powerfull and cheap(ish) Photoshop Elements is well worth a look, much better value than the full version of Photoshop.

I second Craikeybaby - Photoshop Elements is more than merely adequate for most photographic needs, and MUCH less pricy.

Back