Is it pronounced N(i)kon or N(y)kon????

Americans and Canadians have bastardised the language to within an inch of it's life!
Actually I think you'll find it's we over this side of the pond who have done that. In many respects US English is much closer to the language which would have been spoken in the 17th and 18th centuries. It's evolved further here than it has there.

Actually I think you'll find it's we over this side of the pond who have done that. In many respects US English is much closer to the language which would have been spoken in the 17th and 18th centuries. It's evolved further here than it has there.

But as the origin of the language (and spoken has sod all to do with it, given our own regional variations), is here, surely England reserves the right to evolve its language.
If others want to vary it, then amend the name.

Removing letters for ease is just laziness.
Like "nucular" instead of nuclear simply because they're too thick to grasp the actual spelling and pronunciation.

But as the origin of the language (and spoken has sod all to do with it, given our own regional variations), is here, surely England reserves the right to evolve its language.

Like "nucular" instead of nuclear simply because they're too thick to grasp the actual spelling and pronunciation.

Don't get me started! ... aluminum aaargh!

A bit quicker than me, Ken (y)

(I just know someone is gonna come back & say it was without the I initially)

the one I will never under stand is Happisburgh in Norfolk.
Similarly , Costessey in Norfolk, is pronounced Cossie ( allegedly ) and God help you if you get that one wrong :D

not is you are from Yorkshire ........ DErby up there
If they're pronouncing Derby, Derbyshire that way, then that's a wee bit duh, but just dialect.
If there's a Derby in Yorkshire, let them fill their boots

I agree. That garbled nonsense Americans speak should be called American.

Steve.

Some friends who are originally from Yorkshire live near Cwmfelinfach in Monmouthshire. For reasons of decency, I can't tell you what they call it;)!

Jam or cream first

jam ? real men have black treacle with the cream (and you have it on bread not these nampy pamby scone things)

Ignore the yanks, they can't pronounce anything correctly.

Tomato
Aluminium

That has got to be wrong, Dan Quayle ........ always spells it Potatoe and Tomatoe ............... he was Vice President of the US so cannot be wrong

They really need to drop the second word. :D

that's true because many people, particularly in Asia, because of the trade connections, want to speak American - I would not be surprised if more people around the world now speak American than English amongst the "non-native" speakers

If you look at the english language training market in Japan, there are probably more Americans teaching english to the Japanese than any other nationality

Last edited:
Americans and Canadians have bastardised the language to within an inch of it's life!
I think this is what you meant to say. Americans and Canadians have bastardised the language to within an inch of its life!

Bit like us Brits, none of whom know how to pronounce "paella".
Or that round doughy thing with stuff on top, I give you Peatza :D
There should be never a time in your life when you need to speak of that rubbish version of special fried rice
When properly prepared and cooked, "locally" in an open oven, it makes "special fried rice" very plain and tasteless.

Not if you chuck a load of chilli's curry powder in! :LOL:
Well there is that I suppose, but I do like to taste my food, and not have my throat and innards incinerated
:D

Perhaps we could Anglicise this forum and change the post numbering from # to No.

ain't it buddy - you better believe it
I don't believe the Republican party will choose him as their candidate.

Steve.

Last edited:
Can anyone clear up how you pronounce Nikon?

I am away to make a change from Sony to Nikon and have been corrected by a few "photographer" friends on how to pronounce it.

Just wondered if anyone knows? Or is it a bit like Nike and Nikee and just depends on where you are from?

Sammy

Step one: Left hand, hold out with palm facing upwards. Right hand, closed fist but only with both the index and middle finger open, and together side by side. Rest the right hand two fingers on the palm of the left hand.

Step two: Left hand, same as above. Right hand, closed expect for index finger only. Point and touch the right hand index finger at the tip of the left hand's middle finger.

Step three: Left hand, turn your hand over, close expect for index finger, as if you are pointing at someone. Right hand, closed into a fist with index finger a little loose, as if pretend play you're holding a gun with your index finger in front of a trigger. Place the knuckle of your loosely closed right hand index finger against the side of the left hand finger (roughly placing right hand knuckle against side of where left hand knuckle would be).

Step four: Left hand, same as for Steps one and two. Right hand, almost same as for Step two, expect this time point and touch the tip of your left hand's ring finger.

Step five: Repeat the same as for Step one.

Sorry but as a deaf person who is likely to mispronounce the word Nikon, I would find it offensive if I was to be "corrected" by a photographer on how to pronounce it. I do not mind any photographers being helpful by teaching me how to pronounce it (not just Nikon, but also Minolta, Sony, Leica to name a few), and if I either struggle to get it right, or got it as nearly right as I could manage, they should just accept it and leave it there. It would be nice to get my pronouncing Nikon as closely correct as best I can get, good enough for anyone to understand. If I mispronounce, surely they can work it out that I was referring to a Nikon based on the context of my talking, after all you can work it out when you hear "I jog wearing Nikon Air Jordan" and "I take photos with a Nike D200".

It's bad enough that for deaf people at a deaf school gets told off for every mispronouncing, without finding that even today, there's likely to be someone out there trying to "correct" your pronouncing.

You should say Nikon as best as you can. If they try to "correct" your pronouncing, you could say to them something like: "What are you? A professor at Oxford University?!" Just say how you expect it to be said, based on how you hear it all around, from the camera shop staff who sold you the Nikon D-whatever-model-you-bought, to YouTube where people talk about Nikon equipment, and just go with whatever you think is commonly used. Your "few photographer friends", they don't own Nikon, and feel insulted when they heard you mispronounce Nikon, do they?

Spoke words are not forever (unless they were recorded), so in my option it hardly matters if you mispronounced a word or two (after all, your pronouncing a word can be affected by other factors such as having a cold, sore throat, being drunk, etc.,), I expect myself or other people get corrected by others about our spelling and grammar errors when it comes to written word, but for mispronouncing spoke words?

Anyway, steps one to five is how you spell Nikon in British Sign Language, and that's how I "pronounce" it. :)

Back