Is It Too Good To Be True?

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
100 rolls for a tenner. Free postage.

My guess is the seller is getting as many tenners as they can before they run off with the money... Anyone fancy a punt? Description does state "you will receive 100 rolls"...

TOOGOODTOBETRUE.JPG

Well you'd get your money back if un-delivered!

Given that it's free shipping, and apparently from the mysterious orient, does anyone know how much of a loss is being made on each sale?

but... but... but.... ten rolls for a tenner....

must.... be.... sensible....

if you dont mind waiting a few days to get your money back, give it a go. Ebay always come down on the side of buyers and if there is no proof of delivery then you will get your money back.

It's more likely wait a few months - the shipping dates show 14 July - 1 Sep as the delivery estimate. You should still get your money back if there's a problem, but it may take a while before it becomes apparent if there is one. As long as you pay by PayPal (via eBay's official checkout - not by some other PayPal address the seller might give you) and not by bank-transfer or other method, then you should be covered. Worth checking eBay's T&Cs.

I think there's a 90 day window and once outside that you've had it. That's how long I keep my receipts of postage when I'm selling. I just feel sorry for the ten that have already bought it.

If he can get his money out of paypal he's laughing.

Always check the feedback... that's my motto.

For a tenner I think that’s a reasonable punt, as has been said if you pay by PayPal you’re covered.

I'll take one for the team, and let you all know in three months whether I've lost £11.89 or whether I'm sat with a mountain of 6 year expired film :D

I'm sure if it's the latter, there'll be a queue of folks waiting to bite your hand off for £1/roll which will be 1000% profit! Win. Win. :)

Given that it's free shipping, and apparently from the mysterious orient, does anyone know how much of a loss is being made on each sale?
The Chinese government subsidises the postage, there's loads of stuff on ebay delivered for free from China that is cheaper than the same product from a UK seller. You' just got to be prepared to wait a month to get the goods

The Chinese government subsidises the postage, there's loads of stuff on ebay delivered for free from China that is cheaper than the same product from a UK seller. You' just got to be prepared to wait a month to get the goods

You can get lucky with delivery times from China\Hong Kong\Taiwan as I bought a computer accessory on 6th June saying delivery time 24th June to 18th August......and it arrived on the 19th June (y)

Excellent question.

Normally, the delivering company (in this case Royal Mail?) will put a card through telling you how much you owe in customs and VAT as well as their handling fee.... I guess you can opt not to pay it and a few posties wil be getting free film!

Wildly guessing at 20% on a £3 roll of film, that's 60p per film, or £60! Plus handling! And that's *still* less than £1/roll :)

No doubt Carl will keep us updated :)

Excellent question.

Normally, the delivering company (in this case Royal Mail?) will put a card through telling you how much you owe in customs and VAT as well as their handling fee.... I guess you can opt not to pay it and a few posties wil be getting free film!

Wildly guessing at 20% on a £3 roll of film, that's 60p per film, or £60! Plus handling! And that's *still* less than £1/roll :)

No doubt Carl will keep us updated :)

I’m just trying to calculate what the final cost of a roll of expired C200 will be when Hall‘s Photographic Supplies opens for business. :D

Well, day 6 and as expected still no film :eek:

Their recent feedback is amusing though... I can't understand how people actually bought this expecting to receive their film? I'm not the sharpest crayon on the cake but even I can see it's got scam written all over it :LOL:

Capture.JPG

Someone should make a film about it :exit:

Well, day 6 and as expected still no film :eek:

Their recent feedback is amusing though... I can't understand how people actually bought this expecting to receive their film? I'm not the sharpest crayon on the cake but even I can see it's got scam written all over it :LOL:

I'm surprised eBay has let them leave negative feedback so quickly after auction end... Have you started the process to get yours back yet? Or are you still optimistic :)

I'm surprised eBay has let them leave negative feedback so quickly after auction end... Have you started the process to get yours back yet? Or are you still optimistic :)

"still" optimistic? I was never optimistic :LOL:

I thought I'd have to wait until the delivery time had passed before I did anything, as so far there's no proof it's a scam yet I guess?

Also it looks like they've sold 95 of these, so if they manage to get the money out of PayPal and do a runner, they've made about £1,130

One of the ways these types of scam operate is on the assumption that at least some of the buyers will never follow up on the missing goods. Because the delivery times are lengthy, and because the item cost is low, some people will forget completely, or not remember until after their allowed time to claim has elapsed. In this case, unless the sellers PayPal account is locked so they can't access any funds, they'll be able to take these payments without any comeback.

I think there's a 90 day window and once outside that you've had it. That's how long I keep my receipts of postage when I'm selling.
PayPal allows up to 180 days to raise a dispute, so I'd suggest keeping your Proof Of Postage for a little bit beyond that. It's not as if they take up a lot of room.

Just got an email from ebay...
"Your recent eBay transaction may be from a compromised account

We’re writing to let you know that an unauthorised third party may have accessed the seller’s account to list this item. The item has been removed from the site, and the transaction was cancelled."

Apparently even though they know its a scam and they've cancelled the transaction, I still have to raise a dispute to get a refund. So I've gotta send the seller a request for a refund and then when they don't reply in three days, I'll ask ebay to step in.

Seems simple enough :rolleyes:

Looks like Halls Photographic Supplies won't be opening after all :crying: :LOL:

Update! eBay has given me a refund now, and the money is back in my PayPal account.

Weirdly I got an email from the seller this morning, apologising that their account is under review, but saying that the item has been sent to the post office.

Perhaps they don't know they've been rumbled? My how the tables have turned :pompous:

You can get lucky with delivery times from China\Hong Kong\Taiwan as I bought a computer accessory on 6th June saying delivery time 24th June to 18th August......and it arrived on the 19th June (y)
I had some trainers with a month delivery advertised arrive within 48 hours :D

What about the rest of us, biting our nails, suffering anxiety attacks and generally emotional wrecks due to the uncertainty of whether Hall's Photographic Supplies will open?

:film:

Update! eBay has given me a refund now, and the money is back in my PayPal account.

Weirdly I got an email from the seller this morning, apologising that their account is under review, but saying that the item has been sent to the post office.

Perhaps they don't know they've been rumbled? My how the tables have turned :pompous:
It is posted?
And when the film arrives next week?

What about the rest of us, biting our nails, suffering anxiety attacks and generally emotional wrecks due to the uncertainty of whether Hall's Photographic Supplies will open?

:film:
Apparently it is open, but strict social distancing and biosecurity measures mean that you have to stay where you are, he has to stay where he is, and no money or goods can be exchanged between you in case it spreads the virus. (y)

Last edited:
Back