Is it worth it

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
Just listening to morning t.v , and the consensus from dr Hilary is that it may get to the point where if you get it and are old with underlying health issues then they choose to put someone younger on a ventilator .
So is it really worth wasting the time left sitting indoors bored to tears ,wasting away or just say f*** it and go out and do your own thing ..really getting to me now :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Just listening to morning t.v , and the consensus from dr Hilary is that it may get to the point where if you get it and are old with underlying health issues then they choose to put someone younger on a ventilator .
So is it really worth wasting the time left sitting indoors bored to tears ,wasting away or just say f*** it and go out and do your own thing ..really getting to me now :thinking::thinking::thinking:
Almost certainly that is going to happen. Even if there are enough ventilators when, rather than if, the NHS get overwhelmed if everyone says I'm going out regardless of the consequences, there won't be enough doctors/nurses to look after everyone, hard choices will be made and the frail will be cast aside, then the old.
We really have got to the point where decisions will have consequences.

Last edited:
More old people will not get it, than will get it.
Of those that do, more will live than die.
At my. Age living through to another year is largely a matter of chance any way
Covid19 has Not added to those chances dramatically as long as we and others self isolate.

When I was 10 a doodle bug landed on the house next door not ours, I have lived a further 75 Years.
Life is always a matter of chance
So make the most of what ever situation that you can. But it would be foolish to increase the chances against you.

Last edited:
I'd suggest all the more reason to stay at home and not expose yourself to it.

With regard to the point of putting someone younger on a ventilator, well I'd think that is probably just a sensible option based on the likelihood of succeess of the treatment. I know if might sound harsh, but unfortunately this is an extreme position to be in, this I no different to the Triage process which takes place many times in normal circumstances.

I know that if I was infected and so was my daughter, I'd much rather her have a ventilator. Obviously this is just my opinion, and I am sure that many others will disagree, but the bottom line is, minimise your chance of being infected and then there is likely to be no need to worry about someone else having 'your' ventilator.

I have thought all along these lockdown tactics only have a certain lifespan.
It will get to the point when more than a few people adopt the reasoning of the op
Probably start with a trickle which as ever turns into a flow, sure the government know this

The time for that isn't yet and it would be very wrong to flout the restrictions now
All along it was done to give the NHS time to avoid a flood of cases overwhelming them

Last edited:
I'd suggest all the more reason to stay at home and not expose yourself to it.

With regard to the point of putting someone younger on a ventilator, well I'd think that is probably just a sensible option based on the likelihood of succeess of the treatment. I know if might sound harsh, but unfortunately this is an extreme position to be in, this I no different to the Triage process which takes place many times in normal circumstances.

Ummmm actually the triage process in normal circumstances does not have age as a core component at all so the whole thing about age is a complete misnomer and actually an easy excuse to knock off some of the elderly.

What they actually said was that they'd look at move the ventilator off those for whom it's just delaying death, and onto those who would fully recover, if it comes to it.

Age might not be a factor in that situation, unless you're very old. I doubt it's just an "over 70, you can die" decision though.

those for whom it's just delaying death

Having seen both parents and a grandparent being kept alive well beyond when they wanted to be dead, I can't help thinking that if they had been pets, their owners would have been prosecuted for cruelty (and the less said about the old Liverpool "Care" Pathway, the better...)

Ummmm actually the triage process in normal circumstances does not have age as a core component at all so the whole thing about age is a complete misnomer and actually an easy excuse to knock off some of the elderly.
I know that, what I also said was the likelihood of success of the intervention. The OP stated age and underlying condones did he not? I'd expect the medical experts to assess the likelihood of a ventilator (or other relevant treatment) providing a successful outcome for person A or B etc. , (difficult, and not in any way something we would choose unless in these exceptional circumstances, though in some ways I am sure this already happens with the use and availability of drugs etc. ) and then allocate the necessary equipment, staff , or whatever to that person.

Clearly in an ideal world this wouldn't need to happen, but we are far from that at present.

This is the trouble with the country, everyone is only concerned about themselves ..

It’s not about you going out and getting it, it’s about you having it and passing it on. Maybe to the local gp who is walking their dog in a brief period of respite, or a nurse on her way home from a 15 hour day, or maybe even someone young and fit looking but with an undiagnosed condition that mean this could kill him..

Stop being selfish and think about others, that’s all you have to do during this.

I could suggest enough groups of people to put at the back of the queue before we get to old people but it would only upset the do-gooders

Two of my neighbours seem to be struggling with the concept of not going out. Both are unemployed, one is a single mum, normally she just takes her daughter to school then returns home for the day, then picks her daughter up again in the afternoon. Once a week she goes for the weekly shop in her car. Other than that the car rarely moves.
The other culprit is also unemployed, he very rarely steps foot outside, his wife takes their kid to school. The bloke doesn't own a car but keeps borrowing various cars. Sometimes he doesn't have a car for several weeks, sometimes he has borrowed a car and it doesn't move for a week.
Both of these people have been out several times in their cars. Yesterday the woman was out for most of the day and the bloke went out twice in his borrowed car. This morning the bloke has been out 3 times in the car.
They appear to be doing the exact opposite of what the government have advised, but also to what they would normally do anyway.
Other than their kids not going to school, I'm guessing they see these measures as very little disruption to their normal lives
Selfishly blind to the fact that they could make others I'll or ultimately be costing some poor soles their lives.
I want this over and done with asap, so I can go back to work, get back up the gym, so other than the weekly shop, I have become a hermit.

I will have a short drive on Monday as i will get a large shopping delivery by Morrisons which is a combined list with my daughters family. it will not arrive till 10 pm thin i have to sort and repack it and drive over to them.

It seems our lives now revolve around food shopping... and it is so difficult to get delivery slots.

heads cleared a bit now .. afraid the leaders of most countries won't be looking at the bottom of the stack of humanity when they draw up these plans/ideas ,I said jokingly to the wife yesterday I wonder how prostitutes and massage parlour girls are now making a living , then you have to take into account the tobacco smokers that rely on imported baccy , and finally the drug addicts with I should think limited amounts if any drugs coming in they are going to be shortly going cold turkey ....

and how long before as in southern Italy right now a lack of income (the ones that slip through the safety net) will turn to crime to buy basics ..

and reading through the news this is far far bigger than we are seeing world wide . be thankful you live in the u.k as chaos will descend in the coming weeks in lots of countries .and it will only take some tinpot country to kick off a takeover attempt to start a proper war that in these times would soon go nuclear .

heads cleared a bit now .. afraid the leaders of most countries won't be looking at the bottom of the stack of humanity when they draw up these plans/ideas ,I said jokingly to the wife yesterday I wonder how prostitutes and massage parlour girls are now making a living , then you have to take into account the tobacco smokers that rely on imported baccy , and finally the drug addicts with I should think limited amounts if any drugs coming in they are going to be shortly going cold turkey ....

and how long before as in southern Italy right now a lack of income (the ones that slip through the safety net) will turn to crime to buy basics ..

and reading through the news this is far far bigger than we are seeing world wide . be thankful you live in the u.k as chaos will descend in the coming weeks in lots of countries .and it will only take some tinpot country to kick off a takeover attempt to start a proper war that in these times would soon go nuclear .

If the drug addicts want cannabis we grow that here and export it now.

I will have a short drive on Monday as i will get a large shopping delivery by Morrisons which is a combined list with my daughters family. it will not arrive till 10 pm thin i have to sort and repack it and drive over to them.

It seems our lives now revolve around food shopping... and it is so difficult to get delivery slots.
checked may car battery ... it was flat after 3 weeks of no usage. now on charge.

If the drug addicts want cannabis we grow that here and export it now.
There's always the gas canisters they can buy legally, there were some fresh ones in the road this morning.

checked may car battery ... it was flat after 3 weeks of no usage. now on charge.
Our cars are parked in the road so no way of charging the batteries other than actually using the cars, so once a week for both cars, a short journey to shops, enough to fully warm the engine and charge the battery suffices.

I posted a link to a little solar battery maintainer in another thread. There was an extra 10% off them until the end of March but they're still a reasonable price (and work well enough to stop an alarm from draining the battery which seems to be one of the major problems.) It was from Sportsbikedirect IIRC.

I posted a link to a little solar battery maintainer in another thread. There was an extra 10% off them until the end of March but they're still a reasonable price (and work well enough to stop an alarm from draining the battery which seems to be one of the major problems.) It was from Sportsbikedirect IIRC.
I got one, very impressed with the speed of delivery, only one option though which is next day at £6-95 via DPD. I ordered it mid-day Tues it was delivered mid-day Weds.
Multiple connection options, all look to be water resistant and there's an indicator light to say it's charging. Oddly when I placed the unit under my kitchen cabinet LEDs it started to indicate it was charging, I wonder if it works off street lights? I've fitted it to the bike, tomorrow I'll fit it to the wife's car where I can put in on the dashboard and drape the wires to the bonnet and onto the battery - I think they will be long enough. Cant be used for a flat battery but will trickle charge and keep it topped up I guess.
Thanks Nod for pointing me to the site and the unit.

Surely the lockdown is not to stop everyone getting ill, it is to manage the numbers. Yes we might all get it but if the cases can be spread over some months then the NHS etc. may be able to cope. So stay indoors whenever possible and catch it later!
I would expect the lockdown to be relaxed after a few weeks, cases will then rise again and another lockdown will be in place. That cycle can continue until the cases stop.
In addition there is a point where the economic damage is so great that people dying from poverty, and the problems that brings, is worse than the virus. Not straight away but over the next few years.
Plus of course the mental problems that isolation is causing amongst the vulnerable.

I would expect the lockdown to be relaxed after a few weeks, cases will then rise again and another lockdown will be in place. That cycle can continue until the cases stop.
That may work in some cases, but lifting a lockdown will mean people returning to work, factories don't really like being shutdown as it is, it can take several days to get things up and running again, they don't take too kindly to running for a few weeks then being shutdown again only to repeat it all over again a few weeks later.
I work in a testing facility, I have 5 computers that all need to communicate with each other as well as send data to remote computers. They were all powered down last week whilst we are off, if lucky they will all power up and connect with each other straight away when we return to work, but if past experience is anything to go by, it could take hours or even days to get them running properly. That's not just my computers, there will be around 30 people, potentially in a similar position.

Our cars are parked in the road so no way of charging the batteries other than actually using the cars, so once a week for both cars, a short journey to shops, enough to fully warm the engine and charge the battery suffices.
Mines on drive not been off since last Friday morning for the weekly shop,been out today started first push of button and it hasn’t been started at all since the above.
07 Civic diesel and the battery has been on since I bought it in 2011
Guaranteed it will let me down now I’ve praised it.

Oddly when I placed the unit under my kitchen cabinet LEDs it started to indicate it was charging, I wonder if it works off street lights?

I think the little blue LED on the panel itself flashes blue whenever it's generating any voltage/current but without sticking a voltmeter across the terminals under assorted light sources, I'm not sure how much of either it's pumping out.

That may work in some cases, but lifting a lockdown will mean people returning to work, factories don't really like being shutdown as it is, it can take several days to get things up and running again, they don't take too kindly to running for a few weeks then being shutdown again only to repeat it all over again a few weeks later.
I work in a testing facility, I have 5 computers that all need to communicate with each other as well as send data to remote computers. They were all powered down last week whilst we are off, if lucky they will all power up and connect with each other straight away when we return to work, but if past experience is anything to go by, it could take hours or even days to get them running properly. That's not just my computers, there will be around 30 people, potentially in a similar position.
We have kept ours on at work and remote login from home, could Ford not do the same, what was the point of powering them down?

Is that hard to decide who should be last in the queue, can't get the link to work but

Capture889.JPG

We have kept ours on at work and remote login from home, could Ford not do the same, what was the point of powering them down?
These computers are for controlling the engine dyno cells and the emissions measuring equipment, so although certain stuff can be done on the computers remotely to fix problems, the test cells can't actually be controlled remotely. They are powered down to prevent system failures. Plus maintenance usually do some much needed work when the place is closed for longer than a couple of days and the power to various parts if the site gets switched off.

It seems this week, the roads are busier on my work commute than they were last week. I also had my kids for tea last night for the first time in two weeks and when I dropped them home about 8:00 there were some kids walking to shops, takeaway places were open and there was a couple walking down the street with a case of Thatchers.....

It seems this week, the roads are busier on my work commute than they were last week. I also had my kids for tea last night for the first time in two weeks and when I dropped them home about 8:00 there were some kids walking to shops, takeaway places were open and there was a couple walking down the street with a case of Thatchers.....
Traffic had dropped to 27% of its it's normal level, as a result of the lockdown. Yesterday it had risen to 37%. I guess people are getting bored of the lockdown.

It was definitely busier today On the roads
Ive noticed that most of the traffic appears to be 60 year old + couples.
I did about 3 hours driving today and almost all cars were filled with this demographic

Next to no traffic around here other than LGV's and a few vans. I only have a 6 mile commute, and at 0530 this morning I didn't see a single vehicle, there were a few more at 1800 tonight coming home.

More people may be going shopping if they feel safer with the new distancing rules the shops are using.

Covid19 basically gives you a really nasty version of pneumonia if you old and your lungs are a bit f***ed up you are in deep do do, that is the reality of it.
generally older peoples lung and pulmanary functions are in poor order, but also there are a lot of middle age people with bad health, smokers, diabetes, obesity all these people are at very high risk, stay in and suck it up and stop whining.

Traffic had dropped to 27% of its it's normal level, as a result of the lockdown. Yesterday it had risen to 37%. I guess people are getting bored of the lockdown.
Or having to go out for food. We have had all ours delivered so far but tomorrow we could only get click & collect, after that we haven't got a slot so will have to get food from the supermarket as often as needed, which might be once, twice, who knows how many times per week.

Our last shopping trip was March 1 in Tesco.
Dont how how people are eating so much! Wife’s sister has had 8 deliveries in the same period.

Can't get an online food delivery for love nor money in many areas. Everyone is out shopping.

Or having to go out for food. We have had all ours delivered so far but tomorrow we could only get click & collect, after that we haven't got a slot so will have to get food from the supermarket as often as needed, which might be once, twice, who knows how many times per week.
Tesco wasn't very busy this morning, the car park wasn't even half full, even with the section cordoned off for people to queue. Drove through our town past Waitrose and they had about half a dozen people queueing outside.
Having said that the roads are still very quiet around our way. So the increase in traffic must be else where, probably wherever my two neighbours, that don't normally go out, have been going the past couple of days.

More old people will not get it, than will get it.
Of those that do, more will live than die.
At my. Age living through to another year is largely a matter of chance any way
Covid19 has Not added to those chances dramatically as long as we and others self isolate.

When I was 10 a doodle bug landed on the house next door not ours, I have lived a further 75 Years.
Life is always a matter of chance
So make the most of what ever situation that you can. But it would be foolish to increase the chances against you.
This.
I'm not ready to die yet, but che sara sara . . .
If I get it then I will avoid going into hospital if at all possible, partly because I fully accept that I'm old, economically inactive and that younger, more useful people should get priority over me.
Suddenly, my children, spread over 3 continents, feel that they need to keep in close touch and keep ringing me to make sure that I'm coping. My youngest son, the closest at just 90 miles away, feels that after doing a long, hard day's essential work (farming) he needs to get shopping for me and leave it outside my door. I appreciate his commitment but I'm far more concerned about him and the rest of my family than I am about myself.

The government have made a complete hash of this situation and should have taken all necessary measures (including isolation and testing) right at the outset but they didn't, it's too little too late but I feel that it would be very wrong for me to risk infecting either other people or myself so, probably for the first time in my life, I'm going to carry on doing as I'm told.

The government have made a complete hash of this situation
Harsh but entirely accurate. It's might be time to take Napoleon's advice and hang one of them to encourage the rest. :naughty:

Back