Is photography a recreation?

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
According to the latest lockdown guidelines, outdoor exercise and recreation will be allowed, but gyms will have to close.

Is photography a recreation and hence would it be allowed to go out and about with backpack and with camera in hand?

In particular, landscape and wildlife photography are generally solo activities with very little chance of coming into close contact with others.

What are your thoughts?

Recreation.

"activity done for enjoyment when one is not working. "

According to the latest lockdown guidelines, outdoor exercise and recreation will be allowed, but gyms will have to close.

Is photography a recreation and hence would it be allowed to go out and about with backpack and with camera in hand?

In particular, landscape and wildlife photography are generally solo activities with very little chance of coming into close contact with others.

What are your thoughts?

I think many people are asking this about their favourite hobby/ pass time / interest....Mine is metal detecting and even within the community, there is a broad range of what people see as acceptable even though it's been given the ok (with restrictions) by the Gov dept concerned...

Personally, as far as photography goes, I would say your fine but stay local and avoid crowds...the word "local" seems to draw some confusion as it's a bit vague and may be open to interpretation by the police, as does whether you can drive to your start point....

At the end of the day it matters little what everybody here thinks, and will very much depend on your local police. I know in the first lockdown, thier interpretation of what was acceptable was far from consistent across the country...

My photography is certainly recreational, but others do it for work.
It would be somewhat mad if due to lockdown it's allowed for fun but not for money - probably the way it will end up being then!

Proper social distancing will of course be required & you can't meet up with others, so club outings are out (even if actually travelling independently).

100% recreational for me especially the after work on the PC listening to my favourite CD's.

Let's apply a little of the superpower known as common sense. [emoji6] If you can legitimately walk or run somewhere that ensures you remain socially distanced then you can stop briefly to take pictures too. If you were planning to carry a tripod and spend 10 min setting up a shot in a place where others are having to pass by then you're breaking the spirit and possibly the letter of the rules.

I'd say it's not photography that's the issue, but how it's done.

I will be. Locally of course. No Wales, Quantocks, Dorset, etc but within a 5-10 mile radius I think it's acceptable especially as we don't go to busy places anyway.

Not sure if it affects many on here, but I think Press photography is still allowed?

In Wales the Senedd has clarified this quite well:

"With the exception of the organisations covered in the guidance on businesses closures the government has not required any other businesses to close – indeed it is important for business to carry on.

Sometimes this will not be possible, as not everyone can work from home. Certain jobs require people to travel to, from, and for their work.

If you cannot work from home then you can still travel for work purposes."

I've continued working on an architectural documentary project that involves a good degree of travel. Been approached/stopped by the Police a couple of times but after seeing ID plus a copy of my Companies House Reg and SIC Codes they were fine. I also carry a copy of the Senedd document.

Not sure what the position is in the other nations.

GC

I regularly go for long walks and always have a camera. Down by the river, around the forest and over the downs. Avoiding peoples is essential to wildlife photography, so I shall continue as my walks are primarily for exercise and I do not meet other people full stop. :)

Rarely even see other people when I am walking and no one would care if its a hobby or a living !

Can you point me towards where that is stated as I can't find it in the published guidance which says:

"to exercise outdoors or visit an outdoor public place - with the people you live with, with your support bubble or, when on your own, with 1 person from another household (children under school age, as well as those dependent on round-the-clock care, such as those with severe disabilities, who are with their parents will not count towards the limit on two people meeting outside)."

Even though its what the PM said in both his press conference and his speech to parliament was:

"For exercise and recreation outdoors, with your household or on your own, or with one person from another household or support bubble;"

Maybe I am just looking in the wrong place.

Edit: I should add that I think photography does fall under the recreation category.

Last edited:
Let's apply a little of the superpower known as common sense. [emoji6] If you can legitimately walk or run somewhere that ensures you remain socially distanced then you can stop briefly to take pictures too. If you were planning to carry a tripod and spend 10 min setting up a shot in a place where others are having to pass by then you're breaking the spirit and possibly the letter of the rules.
Yes, I fully agree with this and that was my approach during the last lockdown. Handheld and grabbing shots as I went, even though I rarely saw anyone. (and getting back home within the hour, but that time constraint doesn't seem to exist this time around).

Can't say it was as enjoyable, but still grateful to be out and about, and even more grateful when I was able to get back to using a tripod. But back to handheld for now.

I'm also incredibly lucky to have a small bit of woodland within walking distance.

I’ve read through the guidance and it definitely feels more open than it was in March. I think some of March’s lockdown was in a way a knee jerk reaction because the virus was so new and little known about it. This time it seems to be more open as we have learnt more about what are high risk activities, and which aren’t by putting COVID safe environments in place.

Certain photography genres, like landscape and wildlife photography, can very much be solo activities completed outdoors and can be away from people if you are sensible. Even portraiture can be done within the guidelines (1-1 outdoors) if you’re sensible. The main point is to reduce social interactions to lower the spread of the virus. I wouldn’t drive huge distances to do a bit of photography but I’d expect locally should be fine.

The problem with lockdowns is once lifted people go a little stupid and infections increase again. We need to start learning to live with the virus otherwise we are going to repeat cycle after cycle of lockdowns. If we are banking on people needing common sense then that’s likely to be in short supply.

Reactions: 4wd
I’ve read through the guidance and it definitely feels more open than it was in March. I think some of March’s lockdown was in a way a knee jerk reaction because the virus was so new and little known about it. This time it seems to be more open as we have learnt more about what are high risk activities, and which aren’t by putting COVID safe environments in place.

As you say, we now know more about the virus and have more confidence in knowing the major areas of risk, so the guidance can be more focussed than the last time.

But, as in my earlier post, I'm still trying to find out where the guidance says you can leave home for "recreation". As you have also now read the guidance, could you find it?

In the 1st lockdown I carried my camera every time. There are so many paths around where I live which were former colliery railway tracks you can walk 7 days a week without doing the same path twice. I can also drive to my nearest shop selling fresh fruit and veg and walk from there over completely different terrain to make a break in covering the same route too often. It is all, exercise, essential shopping and recreation. This time round I will make sure I am carrying my tripod.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is that there are very few things I want to photograph within walking distance of my home. By driving somewhere first, it would be an unnecessary journey. I doubt I will take any more pics until after the lockdown now.

Dave

It's certainly not as common as it used to be . . .
Most of those I talk to seem to have a reasonable amount, but I certainly see thousands without any.
I never realized I was so selective with those I talk to :)

Reactions: Sky
The problem is that there are very few things I want to photograph within walking distance of my home. By driving somewhere first, it would be an unnecessary journey. I doubt I will take any more pics until after the lockdown now.

Dave
There are a couple of nature reserves round me that have lots of opportunities for photography (at least when there was light). For some inexplicable reason these places have been closed since march! At least the ones nearer work opened up again after the first lockdown.

Voltaire quoted "the problem with common sense is that it's not all that common' nothing much seems to have changed !

As you say, we now know more about the virus and have more confidence in knowing the major areas of risk, so the guidance can be more focussed than the last time.

But, as in my earlier post, I'm still trying to find out where the guidance says you can leave home for "recreation". As you have also now read the guidance, could you find it?

Previously I’d read ‘exercise or outdoor recreation’. It seems the words outdoor recreation have been removed and replaced with outdoor public place. I gather this may be due to issues on what activities are classed as ‘outdoor recreation’. There were arguements that certain activities like tennis and golf where allowed after Michael Gove said they would be. Outdoor recreation has been removed from the guidance and replaced with outdoor public space so that may change things.

To be honest it seems the rules are pretty vague (probably on purpose) and can contradict each other.

Last edited:
Previously I’d read ‘exercise or outdoor recreation’. It seems the words outdoor recreation have been removed and replaced with outdoor public place.

Thanks, and yes, I posted the links to the guidance and the PMs press conference in my earlier post.

The PM has mentioned recreation twice in his speeches and the BBC in its summary still says that "outdoor recreation to be encouraged", but the guidance emailed out at 8:18pm, 31 October 2020, just after the PMs press conference didn't mention recreation. (but the transcript of the press conference does)

He did however repeat "recreation' to parliament yesterday, and the guidance has been updated twice since 31st, but, as you say it still says "exercise and outdoor places..."

It's an important distinction as for me there is a big difference between grabbing some photographs while out exercising (walking) and going out to take photographs (recreation). Hopefully it will be made clear soon as this has got to affect a lot of recreational activities.

Thanks, and yes, I posted the links to the guidance and the PMs press conference in my earlier post.

The PM has mentioned recreation twice in his speeches and the BBC in its summary still says that "outdoor recreation to be encouraged", but the guidance emailed out at 8:18pm, 31 October 2020, just after the PMs press conference didn't mention recreation. (but the transcript of the press conference does)

He did however repeat "recreation' to parliament yesterday, and the guidance has been updated twice since 31st, but, as you say it still says "exercise and outdoor places..."

It's an important distinction as for me there is a big difference between grabbing some photographs while out exercising (walking) and going out to take photographs (recreation). Hopefully it will be made clear soon as this has got to affect a lot of recreational activities.
It would be great for clear advice but I doubt that’s going to happen.

Well, we normally cover a good 3-5 miles whilst out walking, with the dog, enjoying the scenery and looking for compositions. If I find one, we stop, I set up and take images. This works well as my other half does need some regular short breaks whilst we are out. So does the dogs little legs!

I would say we primarily go out to walk. But, seeing as I am intending to take advantage any photo opportunities I might see, does that mean I'm also going out 'to take photos'....?

Dave
I don't see anything that says you cannot drive to a public place, say Barnard Castle, for exercise.

I would say we primarily go out to walk. But, seeing as I am intending to take advantage any photo opportunities I might see, does that mean I'm also going out 'to take photos'....?

I don't know, that's why it would be good to have the guidance match what the PM said. I feel that "exercise" means I need to keep moving, with maybe a quick breather (which could coincide with a quick photo).

Stopping to set up a tripod and taking the time to properly think about making a photograph would mean me hanging about for longer in one place than I could personally justify as being part of an exercise activity. I also feel that taking time to set up a tripod shot (even if no one else is going to be around) isn't really in the spirit of us all being in lockdown together, even if it has too represent an immeasurably low covid risk. It's really a personal judgement call.

Listening to PM tonight on R4 and they reported that hobbies such as fishing were ok as long as not done in a club, I think photography even with the time taken to use a tripod are within the spirt of the lockdown.

Just found this,

"Unlike golf and tennis the Government have not asked fisheries to close and their announcement and guidance makes clear that outdoor recreation at ‘parks and gardens’ and at ‘beaches' and in the ‘countryside’ is to be deemed a legitimate reason for leaving home from November 5.

Listening to PM tonight on R4 and they reported that hobbies such as fishing were ok as long as not done in a club, I think photography even with the time taken to use a tripod are within the spirt of the lockdown.
Hopefully, they will make this clear in the guidance.

I was happy enough with the idea of a tripod, when the PM mentioned recreation in his speeches, but so far this hasn't made it to the published guidance.

I don't know, that's why it would be good to have the guidance match what the PM said. I feel that "exercise" means I need to keep moving, with maybe a quick breather (which could coincide with a quick photo).

Stopping to set up a tripod and taking the time to properly think about making a photograph would mean me hanging about for longer in one place than I could personally justify as being part of an exercise activity. I also feel that taking time to set up a tripod shot (even if no one else is going to be around) isn't really in the spirit of us all being in lockdown together, even if it has too represent an immeasurably low covid risk. It's really a personal judgement call.

It is a close call either way! What if the other half stops for a quick rest and cup of tea from the flask right where there's a lovely composition....? :p That would be very convenient...... ;)

Anglers still aren't 100 percent certain and are awaiting clarification tomorrow. https://anglingtrust.net/covid-19/

It seems that individual angling, done locally, will be OK but not groups (competitions etc). You'd imagine photography would be in the same category.

Just found this,

"Unlike golf and tennis the Government have not asked fisheries to close and their announcement and guidance makes clear that outdoor recreation at ‘parks and gardens’ and at ‘beaches' and in the ‘countryside’ is to be deemed a legitimate reason for leaving home from November 5.

They seem to be reading different guidance to the one emailed out by the Government update service and available at gov.uk. I have searched for other guidance, but I can't find anything beyond what I have.

They say:

There is no mention of recreation in the guidance (or indeed beaches or countryside).

"The travel guidance was updated yesterday and it seems that short journeys from home for these purposes are to be permitted.

The guidance only says:

"However you can and should still travel for a number of reasons, including:

exercise, if you need to make a short journey to do so"

Again no mention of recreation

However, if we get an official statement that angling is allowed , it seems reasonable to assume that tripod based photography should be. I think I'm on the third guidance update and it seems the final version will be issued tomorrow, or at least until the next update !!

It is a close call either way! What if the other half stops for a quick rest and cup of tea from the flask right where there's a lovely composition....? :p That would be very convenient...... ;)
Are you allowed to have a cup of tea while exercising :)

Anglers still aren't 100 percent certain and are awaiting clarification tomorrow. https://anglingtrust.net/covid-19/

It seems that individual angling, done locally, will be OK but not groups (competitions etc). You'd imagine photography would be in the same category.
I agree, and hopefully the angling question will be resolved tomorrow so we can use it as guide to how we might practice photography during lockdown.

Back