Is photography a recreation?

So it looks like I'm allowed? But I'm wondering if setting up a tripod on, around or below the bridge will be seen as acceptable with regards to other people being in proximity. On the other hand, there may not be many people around there.

I'm willing to bet fairly heavily that the police will take a very different view to yours.

Very definitely against the spirit of the rules. Travel to access open spaces is allowed but I hardly think 45 minutes on a tube is even remotely similar to the travel needed for you to reach open spaces. Not as bad as driving from London to Durham, but I hardly think the average person would have got away with that....

I'm willing to bet fairly heavily that the police will take a very different view to yours.

Thanks guys. Ah well, looks like I better not risk it.

The amount of discussion and opinion in this thread proves how open to interpretation they are. Plenty of examples of people trying to pass off their version of ‘reasonable’ as ‘common sense’.

I am still having to drive 40 mins each way to work in a building with very little social distancing and 1500 people. By that measure, I am of the view that it is reasonable for me to travel at least that (or more) at a weekend to a remote outdoor space for recreation.

Are we really discussing whether we can use a tripod or not? If you want to, use it.

Last edited:
Snip:
I am still having to drive 40 mins each way to work in a building with very little social distancing and 1500 people. By that measure, I am of the view that it is reasonable for me to travel at least that (or more) at a weekend to a remote outdoor space for recreation.

By that measure, do you think you might be at higher risk of contracting and/or spreading Covid 19? If so, do you think it's wise or considerate to travel at least 40 mins by car at the weekend and risk spreading the virus?

It's supposed to be a lockdown! The advice on spending time outdoors and exercising says "This should be done locally wherever possible". So let's get with the spirit of the guidance and not push things because we think we might be able to get away with it. It's simple, the sooner the infection rate comes down, the sooner we can end the lockdown! Please, everyone, do your bit, and don't take your pleasure at anyone else's expense. (y)

Snip:

By that measure, do you think you might be at higher risk of contracting and/or spreading Covid 19? If so, do you think it's wise or considerate to travel at least 40 mins by car at the weekend and risk spreading the virus?

It's supposed to be a lockdown! The advice on spending time outdoors and exercising says "This should be done locally wherever possible". So let's get with the spirit of the guidance and not push things because we think we might be able to get away with it. It's simple, the sooner the infection rate comes down, the sooner we can end the lockdown! Please, everyone, do your bit, and don't take your pleasure at anyone else's expense. (y)

Going to a remote place, on my own, with hand sanitizer (before touching any gates etc) so I don’t touch anything with any level of risk - no. I think I’d have a far smaller chance of distributing it there than walking around my local area.

I think people need to consider the impact on the mental health of others as well. If people need to get out into the countryside to clear their heads after a busy week, that’s what they should do.

If it was a lockdown, educational institutions wouldn’t be open. It’s like having the heating in in your house and opening all of the windows.

Last edited:
Are we really discussing whether we can use a tripod or not? If you want to, use it.

It was probably me who first raised the tripod issue, but it was because I used it to distinguish grabbing shots "on the go" while exercising, against spending 15-30 minutes in one place making a photograph. For my own photography, the former seemed within the spirit of being out "exercising" the latter didn't. So it wasn't about using or not using a tripod, it was about spending time loitering in one place.

Which was why, the reason for my first post was to ask where the guidance said you could go out for recreational purposes. I couldn't find recreation mentioned in the published guidance (and it still isn't in the main guidance), even though the PM had mentioned it twice.

Since then, and I posted the link earlier, there has been separate guidance on using open spaces, which allows you to use open spaces for exercise and recreation. And though again I can't find it any guidance, it's being reported that unlike last time, you will be able to sit on public benches.

So, unlike last time where the emphasis was on essential exercise and the need to "keep moving" it does seem that this time you will be permitted to loiter, as long as you keep as local as possible, and maintain the social distancing rules. So hanging around 15-30 minutes in one place to make a photograph would seem to be within the spirit of the government guidance.

So for me, given I can walk somewhere to take photographs, can confidently stay a lot more than 2m from the occasional person I meet, and I don't have to touch any styles or gates, this time around I'm going to carry on with my normal tripod based photography.

Last edited:
When there are restrictions on anything, folk will try to find a way around them. That is human nature. Looking at it from the viewpoint of someone right in the target zone of a person classed as vulnerable, and I am certain there will be masses on this forum who are in the same boat., (by way of age) Is it fair or indeed legal and within the spirit of the rules to keep pushing the boundaries?
It is only 28 days (far better than the same time in an ICU on a ventilator) and after the explosion of infections after the restrictions were relaxed last time, I would have thought it would have sunk in by now that the restriction on movement is there for a purpose. Let us keep it that way and see the life we have return to something approaching normal.

On the other hand if you have a minimum of £200 to pay every time you are stopped (doubling for each infringement) and handed a fixed penalty so be it. So is it not reasonable to sit back and do what you have to do for the good of everyone. The money pot must be nearly dry now and the handouts cannot go on forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
When there are restrictions on anything, folk will try to find a way around them. That is human nature. Looking at it from the viewpoint of someone right in the target zone of a person classed as vulnerable, and I am certain there will be masses on this forum who are in the same boat., (by way of age) Is it fair or indeed legal and within the spirit of the rules to keep pushing the boundaries?
It is only 28 days (far better than the same time in an ICU on a ventilator) and after the explosion of infections after the restrictions were relaxed last time, I would have thought it would have sunk in by now that the restriction on movement is there for a purpose. Let us keep it that way and see the life we have return to something approaching normal.

On the other hand if you have a minimum of £200 to pay every time you are stopped (doubling for each infringement) and handed a fixed penalty so be it. So is it not reasonable to sit back and do what you have to do for the good of everyone. The money pot must be nearly dry now and the handouts cannot go on forever.

This is what I'm talking about. How about the mental health of people who have to stay in and take extra precautions so as to minimise the risk of infecting vulnerable people they're looking after? And there are a lot of them too. Wouldn't it be better if we all pulled together and tried to get this thing over with as quickly as possible?

Don't forget, a lot of the male old and vulnerable generation had to fight in WW2, or do National Service afterwards. For those who don't know what National Service was; the government conscripted any able bodied males who were between the age of 18 and 30 and forced them to serve in one of the armed forces (Army, Navy or RAF). Between 1950 and 1957 the initial 18 month service period was extended to 2 years. That's right, they had to spend 2 years of their lives, usually away from home, in the armed forces, with some of them being sent to fight in wars in Korea, Aden, etc. https://www.nam.ac.uk/explore/national-service-experience

Plus there was the rationing of food, clothing, fuel (including for domestic heating), soap and washing powders, paper, etc., with the last of the food rationing only ending in 1954. So the current old and vulnerable generation had a pretty thin time of it in their youth, so I think the least we can do is show them some gratitude and consideration in their twilight years.

These days, some people in that same 18 to 30 age group are literally crying "Tyranny" at being told by the government to wear a face mask some of the time and not to go to parties! Not quite the same sacrifice is it really?

Let's get this clear, all people are being asked to do is stay at home, with all their toys, wherever possible, for 28 days, and take due precautions when they do have to go out. Oh dear, what a pity, never mind!

Last edited:
How can there by three page on this, it's simple

a) Just because you can, doesn't mean you should
b) Think of other before yourselves. stop being babies, stay at home.
c) Use the restrictions as an reason to explore the photo opportunities in your local area ( 5miles from home, no more)

Going to a remote place, on my own, with hand sanitizer (before touching any gates etc) so I don’t touch anything with any level of risk - no. I think I’d have a far smaller chance of distributing it there than walking around my local area.

I think people need to consider the impact on the mental health of others as well. If people need to get out into the countryside to clear their heads after a busy week, that’s what they should do.

If it was a lockdown, educational institutions wouldn’t be open. It’s like having the heating in in your house and opening all of the windows.
Bang on !!!!!

These days, some people in that same 18 to 30 age group are literally crying "Tyranny"
It seems to me it is 50+ Tory MPs who are the most vocal about "Tyranny". Pretty much all the 18-30 year olds I know, and I know quite a few through my children, are compliant and just resigned to it. I also knew someone who's life was ruined by national service.

For anyone that didn’t know, National Trust properties are allowed to keep their outdoor spaces open during the current restrictions. Limited numbers in per day, via prebooked tickets but hopefully a well managed and cretin-free place to exercise (and take photos) if you want to avoid the parks and beaches.

The problem is at present is that it doesn't matter what you or I belives is acceptable. it is whatever (in the first instance) other people think, as they are the ones likely to alert the police. (or post it all over social media) Then when the police arrive it will be up to their interpretation. The other complication is some bits of what is talked about is guidance, not actual legislation.

It seems to me it is 50+ Tory MPs who are the most vocal about "Tyranny". Pretty much all the 18-30 year olds I know, and I know quite a few through my children, are compliant and just resigned to it. I also knew someone who's life was ruined by national service.
The 'tyranny' quote was seen by me in the comments sections of a YouTube video of police closing down an illegal party in what appeared to be an 'enclosed' marquee in the midlands, where people had allegedly travelled from as far away as London to attend. I thought the comment somewhat ironic given some of the sacrifices that most of the older UK generation made for their country. Fair play to the younger people you know if they are following the guidelines - whether we like it or not, it's the only effective defence we have against the virus at the moment.

As for National Service ruining someone's life, I can understand that. I remember my Dad telling me a little about his time in the RAF; when his intake were sent for basic training there were some Geordie lads in his barrack room - handy-looking, jack-the-lad type 18 and 19 year old Teddy Boys. The first couple of nights my Dad could hear some of them sobbing themselves to sleep, as it was their first time away from home and they couldn't cope with it. My Dad had been sent away to boarding school from the age of 8, so an 'institutionalised' regime was nothing new to him. He coped fine with National Service, but thought it was an absolute waste of time for him personally; although for some, it was probably the making of them. He also intentionally avoided officer selection, as the NS pay was that poor that some of his ex school friends (who'd fallen for it) couldn't even afford to pay their mess bills at the end of each month! Happy days, eh!

Last edited:
Really nice, low cloud, foggy morning here. Perfect for some woodland exercise and walking with the family and dog :)
Same here, nice 3 mile walk through the woods with the camera. Eight miles yesterday along the river, plenty of birds over wintering and very pleasant sat in the sun with a sandwich and takeaway coffee for lunch.

Taken from www.legislation.gov.uk
The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) (No4) Regulations 2020
UK Statutory Instruments 2020 No1200 Part 2

Part 2
Restrictions Of Movement

5 (1) No person may leave or be outside of the place where they are living without reasonable excuse...

Exceptions leaving home
6 - (1) these are the exceptions referred to in regulation 5

(d) to visit a public outdoor place for the purposes of open air recreation

There appears to be no limit to travel for 6d,

Ok so today on one small stretch on the banks of the Thames in Sunbury......

Counted 32 people, mainly families.

2 Anglers

2 rowing club boats, 6 rowers in each, no masks (thought grass roots sport was suspended, these were not elite rowers)

2 pleasure boats

Me with the camera

Streets were packed, busiest i've seen for ages, pedestrians and cars.

Loads of kids and youths hanging around together.

2 police cars cruising around, didn't speak to anyone, looked disinterested.

Bloody cyclists in packs, lycra clad tossers that think they're training for the Tour de France.

Moved onto the park, absolutely heaving !!!!

Had to go out & about to a few places this morning. Didn't think it was too bad in all honesty. Food shopping last night was pretty quiet too.

Planning on some 'recreation' time in the morning.

Back