Is photoshop the best?

Name
Hannah
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all,
im just getting into editing and playing around with my photographs and just wondered if photoshop software was the best thing to do this with? and is it downloadable at all?
ta very much :D

Haha yea thats wat i was thinking... :confused: hmm

You'd probably be better starting with something like Photoshop Elements (6 is the latest I think). As the name suggests it's elements of the full CS packages. Does most things you'll need to get started. Costs about £50 - £70 if you shop about.

Just saw Adobe Photoshop Elements 5 on ebay for 23 quid - does that sound suspiciously reasonable? lol tho i spose if its the slightly older version then that might be why...

£23 sounds about right for E5 - just make sure it's really OEM (watermarked in jewel case) as there are loads of copies out there. You probably won't know until you receive it though - look out for amateur printing on the disc itself & a serial key that scrolls across the installation screen.

Just saw Adobe Photoshop Elements 5 on ebay for 23 quid - does that sound suspiciously reasonable? lol tho i spose if its the slightly older version then that might be why...

I use Elements 4, which I bought about 2 years ago for £56. So I'd think £23 is about right for 5.

Edit: Sorry Brash, can't be seen to be condoning/promoting illegal software - Dod

I use elements 5 and if you are just starting out with processing then I don't think you'll notice the difference between 5 and 6. Get Elements 5 at a cheap price now and by the time you're proficient you can upgrade, elements 7 will probably be around by then.

There are freewares you can use if you want the basics, like picasa, or free but more complicated is GIMP. Best of luck.

Thanks guys! ill probs try and pick up an elements 5 for the mo..will have a bit of an investigate! :D

you can download PS from Abobe.com on a 30 day trial to see if its what you want.

ooh thanks for the tip off! i might just do that:)

Hi there
I downloaded the 30 day trial of PS cs3.
Haven't used it too much, only dabbled a bit following the tutorails.

Can't say I've fallen in love with it yet to justify buying it. It's all a bit daunting at the moment

Try Amazon for Elements 6, can be had for around 50notes :)

There is also Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2, a trial download is also availble :)

I was fortunate enough to have it installed on my computer by work (CS2 that is) and I am dreading something happening to my computer because I don't work in the same place anymore and would hate not to have it!

Well ... I use Ulead Photo Impact 12 software (woah!), I subscribe to several photo magazines that provide Photoshop tutorials. I have so far managed to follow every single one perfectly with this far cheaper software.

Just my two cents, Photoshop may be more powerful in some aspects but ... cheap can be great some times.

If you're lucky enough to be a student, you can get photoshop much cheaper than retail (but still a lot of money)

ive just installed CS3 and rate it highly, ive only ever used photoshop, and wouldnt use anything else,

ive tried diferent software through recomendation but they just arent a touch on PS. just pretenders.

worth its weight in gold. but i wouldnt ever pay that much for software!

it was bad enough me having to pay for windows!! lol

snappyt - i am always looking for cheap! haha esp as i have about 20 quid in my bank account at the mo:crying:

Nutter426 - do u know how i can find out the student deals for buying photoshop?

ta :)

You could try paint.net http://www.getpaint.net/ it's free (y)

I installled the other day but haven't had chance to play

Here is some blurb from the website
About
Paint.NET is free image and photo editing software for computers that run Windows. It features an intuitive and innovative user interface with support for layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools. An active and growing online community provides friendly help, tutorials, and plugins.
It started development as an undergraduate college senior design project mentored by Microsoft, and is currently being maintained by some of the alumni that originally worked on it. Originally intended as a free replacement for the Microsoft Paint software that comes with Windows, it has grown into a powerful yet simple image and photo editor tool. It has been compared to other digital photo editing software packages such as Adobe® Photoshop®, Corel® Paint Shop Pro®, Microsoft Photo Editor, and The GIMP.

I tried paint.NET last week, not bad but in the last couple of days I've taken the plunge and been trying Gimp2, its actually not that forbidding once you get into it and appears to have slightly more features than paint.NET. I dont have photoshop to compare (the ££££ issue) but I've started following how-to instructions based on photoshop using both Paint.Net & Gimp and getting some success, not total yet but definately enough for the first few attempts. I've yet to find out how to use RAW on them but there's lots to play with, maybe not the same feature names as photoshop and probably not as cutting edge, but plenty to be getting on with.

Honestly 30 days is not really enough time to have photoshop as by the time you start getting somewhere it just dissapears. I would just buy an older version :)

Both Paint.Net and Gimp have an extensive collection of plugins, you can do practically anything you need to with them.
Gimp can also make use of many of the Photoshop plugins that are available on the Net.
Gimp does require a little more user knowledge than most image editors, I've found it to be so anyway and I have used PS Elements, PSP and Ulead trials.

Plugins for Paint.Net can be found here;
http://paintdotnet.forumer.com/index.php

And Gimp here;
http://registry.gimp.org/
http://www.gimptalk.com/forum/

Both Paint.Net and Gimp have an extensive collection of plugins, you can do practically anything you need to with them.
Gimp can also make use of many of the Photoshop plugins that are available on the Net.
Gimp does require a little more user knowledge than most image editors, I've found it to be so anyway and I have used PS Elements, PSP and Ulead trials.

Plugins for Paint.Net can be found here;
http://paintdotnet.forumer.com/index.php

And Gimp here;
http://registry.gimp.org/
http://www.gimptalk.com/forum/

thanks (y)

Get Elements first. Learn your way around the product and then go to Photoshop.

Photoshop has a lot of functions, probably 80% you'll never use, but those you do can be worth the cost. However it can be daunting when you first start, that's why I think elements is a good place to start.

Find out what you need to do and if you can't in Elements, then think about PS.

Can't comment on which version of Elements is the best as I use Photoshop, and have never really tried the latest versions of it.

I have got Adobe Photoshop 7.0 (bit old now and never really worked out how to use it)

I also have Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo XI. Only just got this and quite liking it. But I have no knowledge of other software to make a comparison, whats your view/opinion on Photo XI

Back