Is shielding back for you, or did it never stop

Name
mike
Edit My Images
Yes
For us it never fully stopped, we go shopping twice a week with 6am trips, the odd trip out on the scooters but no mixing with people. The local infection rate for the last seven days has gone from around 6 a few weks ago to yesterday 126, its not looking good.

Worrying mike ,personally not been in a supermarket for several months the wife does it all .

I came out of shielding when it was advised by the government.
To be quite frank though with the increasing rate of infection up here in Scotland I am thinking of going into semi shielding mode by only going out if its an absolute must (school runs and so forth).

Last edited by a moderator:
We weren’t shielding as such but being very careful have been getting shopping delivered
Went for our first supermarket shop at 6am felt safe

We weren't shielding but taking relatively painless mitigation measures: changed shopping to once per week mid-afternoon on a weekday which seems fairly quiet; no eating out; no pubs/cafe's (although I do sorely miss a weekly cafe visit and the odd lunch/breakfast out); no shopping to speak of, going 90% online; and no days out anywhere. We have just carried on like this and will continue so to do, although I'm hoping that colder weather will deter the crowds in the great outdoors leaving it emptier for those of us who prefer the wilderness.

As I'm vulnerable, I'm still shielding as best I can; I won't let anyone in the house, I have shopping delivered and I don't go anywhere public where there's chance of contact.

There's been a few occasions where I've had to mix with family members, so that's how it'll get me if I'm unlucky enough to catch it. It'll be the death of me if I do. :(

Being 50+ plus diabetic I was shielding until late May. Been very careful since, I do go shopping and eating at restaurants but kept clear of busy places. I am getting to the point where working from home and lack of exercise and office interaction is more damaging than the virus. Having liberties curtailed so that youngsters can continue to party and spread the virus is an intolerable proposition.

Being 50+ plus diabetic I was shielding until late May. Been very careful since, I do go shopping and eating at restaurants but kept clear of busy places. I am getting to the point where working from home and lack of exercise and office interaction is more damaging than the virus. Having liberties curtailed so that youngsters can continue to party and spread the virus is an intolerable proposition.
Yes agree we have a local lockdown here
I could go to Wetherspoons on a Saturday night but I can’t go down the road into England to visit Chester zoo which is all outdoors and safe , it’s driving me nuts because I spend most of my free time in winter visiting there

Still shielding. Apart from a few medical appointments and two ten munute visits to the local Aldi we haven't been anywhere. We do walk in the local area but because of health problems that's not very far. We have our groceries delivered weekly.

During the first 3 weeks of lockdown I was very inactive. I then made a concerted effort to address that but going out for walks every day.
After lockdown ended I ensured that I continued to stay active.
The only people I missed were family, not colleagues. I was quite happy having three months off work!

IMG_5442.JPG

I've been going my own way, listening to government advice but only following the bits that seem to me to make sense, and pretty much ignoring the relaxations.
I'm old, insulin-dependent diabetic and can't afford to catch this virus, however, I need to measure the quantity of life against quality.

I go to the supermarket every second week, have used a facemask and rubber gloves from the outset. One unavoidable visit to the hospital and another to my GP. I go clay shooting on Saturdays and alternate Sundays, but that's open-air, exempt from regulations and pretty safe, I get a younger friend to go into the "office" to pay me on. I used to spend every second week volunteering on our farm (horse rescue charity) but have only been twice since lockdown began (difficult to keep safe there because the infection can be caught from sharing vehicles etc), I will be there next week.

The week after that will be my ex-wife's funeral, it's a 300 mile drive each way so I will have to stay 2 nights, risky but feel that I need to do it. However, I will self-isolate for 2 weeks after that

I am late 50's, but nothing that I know of for a reason to be shielding. Thankfully I was only furloughed until the end of May, but we have strict social distancing measures etc at work. Being a regular gym goer, lockdown really hurt. I don't have the inclination or equipment at home to workout, so by the time gym was allowed to reopen, I had lost 21lbs. Like work, the gym has strict social distancing and cleaning rules, but although we don't have to wear masks in the gym, like we do at work, I feel just as safe.
We now do our supermarket shop 10am on a Sunday morning or at 8am on Saturday instead of during the week, much quieter and quicker. We rarely ate out before 2020 anyway, so no problem there, only thing I am missing is being able to go and watch a few BTCC races and several gigs we have (had) tickets for. Other than that I am happy to carry on keeping away from others.

It looks like shielding has become a way of life for a lot of us, i cant say it bothers me much.

I have not been categorised as requiring to "shield", but I take common sense protective measures, e.g:-
Maximise home delivery shopping (as before)
Don't use public transport (as before)
Don't get too close to people.
Minimise, but deliberately do not stop, going into shops.
Wear masks, gloves, use hand cleanser etc.

On the surface life has not changed all that much. However, I have a constant feeling that all is just not right. I suppose it is a bit like walking through a dodgy district and having to be continually on the lookout for lowlifes.
People that I frequently speak too have similar thoughts. Most cannot foresee a time when everything returns to how it was pre Covid.

We are in our late 60s with various medical issues like many of our age group, but not serious enough to warrant shielding according to HM Govt. We decided we would self isolate as much as possible & have avoided the shops since March, apart from one trip to a small local florist in August to buy flowers for our wedding anniversary. Trips to restaurants & cafes have been put on hold for the foreseeable future & all holiday plans were abandoned. Food shopping has been done via click & collect, with pickup in the supermarket car park. During September we had to seriously self isolate for a couple of weeks prior to me attending a hospital appointment for day surgery.

Since the start of the lockdown & before meeting people indoors/outdoors was prohibited (where we live) we met our family in our garden. Since then we see our children and granddaughter roughly once a week outdoors for a brief period at a safe distance (3-4m) . Not spending time with our family has been the hardest, weekly Skype calls has helped.

We take sensible precautions, but visits to and from our 3.5 year old granddaughter are a risk. She is back at pre-school.
Supermarket wise we do click and collect at Sainsbury’s which occurs on their car park. We feel this is safer than going in store.

50+ plus diabetic I was shielding until August, being locked in the house was driving me mad, now back in work ( with a good chance of catching it, if a person comes in with it work in a prison) work have put in place some SSOW for me, but due to the job, there is a risk of catching anything going round
shopping wise very rare go to the big shops/ supermarkets never go to the pub/restaurants

59 year old type 1 Diabetic (38 years now) , been back at work auditing building sites in London since the original lockdown lifted.

I stick to the legal restrictions but try to live as normal life as possible.

I collect the weekly fresh food so no need to go indoors. Bulk buy things I do via deliveries.

If I go into an indoor space I try and avoid going into a different one for a couple of weeks after so if I catch something and have no idea I can't pass it on. I have a lot of friends with various ailments so I keep away from them and they're keeping away from most others too.

If I get bored I can always take the car out for a drive somewhere. There's quite a few roads with fantastic views so it's no great hardship in that sense.

I would like to be able to visit national trust properties etc without having to faff around getting a timed entry first. I just haven't bothered as I often don't decide I want to go somewhere until either late the night before or even the same morning.

I am just very cautious, and will back away from somewhere that is even slightly crowded. I used to dread going shopping at the supermarket but if you go after 6pm it is always very quiet and you can still generally get all you want.

late 50's, previous lung problems after bouts of pneumonia and heart issues. Work for the NHS in an admin role, Basically sent home to WFH in early March, still there now, working probably half as many hours again as I would have been in the office, so not exactly sitting around doing nothing, but, lots of sitting around in front of a screen... Highlight of an average week is going outside to take the wheelybins to the kerb, and back in again later. Groceries by Delivery, once every 4 weeks I drive up to the next village to collect my prescriptions. Other than 1 trip to the GP's for the flu jab and 2 excursions to A&E with mild Afib symptoms (probably brought on my overwork/stress of the nature of the work) that's been my life. Current briefings are saying that it'll be February next year at the earliest before any of our team are back in the office, and the "at risk" people in the team will be later than that - so I'm thinking it'll be a year of my life pretty much under house arrest.

Still, I'm not dead yet.

I count myself quite lucky. Being of a certain age - in the danger zone, I am particular where I go and whom I meet with. The neighbour next door's daughter had the disease but she is 22, caught it but was up and about and back to work in a couple of weeks. My partner who lives 9 or so miles away is even more cautious than I am, because she is prone to asthma, but so far so good (My next door's neighbour is her younger sister).

I am reasonably happy living on my own with a telephone for contact but it is not the same, but what can we do? I can walk in some of the wildest country only a few miles away so I am not housebound in any sense of the meaning so it is not too bad.

My shopping is occasionally in the supermarket but for the food that will not last such as fresh veg and fruit there is a good greengrocers about a mile away with a fresh butchers almost next door with a bakers a few yards the other way, so I am well catered for. She is my' bubble' partner as well so we can meet up 2 or 3 times a week and every Sunday for an ordered in Sunday roast dinner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I locked down mid February and have been so ever since. In a bubble with my daughter's family.
They are now in a research group and are tested weekly.

I feel very fortunate that despite being in my mid-60's and somewhat overweight I'm in reasonably good health and have hardly ever taken time off work due to illness (unless bone-idleness counts :LOL:)

I was sent home from work in early March and apart from 4 days in September have been working from home since. The latest conversation I had with our MD yesterday makes me think it will be March next year before I'm asked to return to the office, by which time I may already have declared my intention to retire.

During all this time at home I have taken daily exercise (initially walking the dog but since she left us it's been mostly cycling) and have ocassionally ventured into the local supermarket for essential stuff that either didn't get delivered or we ran out of.

I'm not scared of catching this virus for my own sake but dread to think what it would do to my wife, who is disabled and in reasonably poor health, so I take all the precautions I can to keep myself and her safe. I have a rather laid back outlook and over 29 years of military service I fancy I've cheated death once or twice so, if this virus turns out to be the bullet with my name on it then I'll take it on the chin knowing I've crammed a lot into my 66 years and there are only two of my bucket list items still to do.

My heart goes out to those worse off than myself along with my fervent wishes that you stay safe, fit and well.

I feel very fortunate that despite being in my mid-60's and somewhat overweight I'm in reasonably good health and have hardly ever taken time off work due to illness (unless bone-idleness counts :LOL:)

I was sent home from work in early March and apart from 4 days in September have been working from home since. The latest conversation I had with our MD yesterday makes me think it will be March next year before I'm asked to return to the office, by which time I may already have declared my intention to retire.

During all this time at home I have taken daily exercise (initially walking the dog but since she left us it's been mostly cycling) and have ocassionally ventured into the local supermarket for essential stuff that either didn't get delivered or we ran out of.

I'm not scared of catching this virus for my own sake but dread to think what it would do to my wife, who is disabled and in reasonably poor health, so I take all the precautions I can to keep myself and her safe. I have a rather laid back outlook and over 29 years of military service I fancy I've cheated death once or twice so, if this virus turns out to be the bullet with my name on it then I'll take it on the chin knowing I've crammed a lot into my 66 years and there are only two of my bucket list items still to do.

My heart goes out to those worse off than myself along with my fervent wishes that you stay safe, fit and well.

A very philosophical view, good luck to you

I take this very seriously, we have groceries delivered and everything that comes in the house is wiped with a bleach cloth even Post letters and no one comes in the house .
We did relax things a month or so ago keeping our distance but as soon as the second wave came locked down again it's just not worth the risk being in our 60s .
We are still running our business but that is drop and go so quite safe but may get the parcels picked up soon to rule that slight risk out too .

Yes we miss the family dropping in but We don't find it to hard as we video call to keep in touch.

Rob.

Colds seem to be rare this year. I haven't had one and as far as I know no one in my immediate family has had one recently either. I suppose there's time but maybe all this social distancing, hand sanitisation and masks has helped?

Other than that we're sticklers for all the common sense measures but are going to the shops which we didn't do in the first lockdown earlier this year.

We never came far away from shielding but we are now doing it fully again. my stepdaughter starts doing the shopping again this week

wife visited her parents for a few hours on xmas day and we both visited mine both on boxing day for an hour, we both kept masks on and kept good distance.
since that day no one else for 10 days just in case.
now wife is back at work "dental hygienist" and i am essentially self isolating in case it comes home :-(

Mate, I've been keeping away from people for many years well before social distancing became a thing. Joys of being a hermit and a long-time online food delivery customer.. :ROFLMAO:

It is true that the online delivery aspect has been tricky at times, but so far I've only ever had to use the click & collect option just the once and got my sister to pick up for me.

Last edited:
Actually getting out is a bit difficult at present, We have a substantial fall of snow today (3") so getting my car out of the driveway can be problematical because I have to drive uphill to get to the road. It does not take much snow to make getting uphill difficult and 3" is enough! Parking outside is not an option because the lane is quite narrow and this restricts the gap for other vehicles. Shopping at my preferred greengrocers/butchers/bakers is therefor out because to get there is a 1 in 8 hill about 3/4 of a mile long and my cranky knees will not take that.

The other lockdowns I was very careful and stayed safe, but with this new lockdown my mental health is going overboard. I'm far to scared to even go out the front door, plus waiting to talk to my doctor to go on anti depressant pills as I'm finding everything to hard to cope with.

We've always been careful since the beginning so there's no real change for us except that one of our family got the call yesterday for a c19 jab next Saturday.

We socially distance, wear masks and use sanitiser routinely and other than one occasion months ago when we had a drink and a bite in Greggs we haven't been in a cafe or restaurant.

Still sat indoors had a few trips out (legally) between lockdowns taking photos from the car hide . Now back at home again , just spoke to the daughter who is nurse on a covid ward down south , and she said it’s getting horrific . She said every ward will soon be a covid ward and it’s not just older patients coming in

Several posts have been deleted.
There have been enough warnings posted NOT to post political comments, or turn other threads into political threads
while Hot topics was shut....
Stay on topic or :lock:

Your choice

As I'm vulnerable, I'm still shielding as best I can; I won't let anyone in the house, I have shopping delivered and I don't go anywhere public where there's chance of contact.

There's been a few occasions where I've had to mix with family members, so that's how it'll get me if I'm unlucky enough to catch it. It'll be the death of me if I do. :(

I'm sure you will be fine as we will need to have another meet up at the Andover Hawk Conversancy one this is all over :) (y)

Reactions: Sky
The other lockdowns I was very careful and stayed safe, but with this new lockdown my mental health is going overboard. I'm far to scared to even go out the front door, plus waiting to talk to my doctor to go on anti depressant pills as I'm finding everything to hard to cope with.

This is the big issue - I am on our Parish council and they are looking to get people in the village doing zoom calls with each other like a coffee morning. one person said they had not spoken to anyone in 3 weeks

Just back after a nice walk around the village (40 minutes) in the sun. A few people out, but we just cross the road. We are still semi shielding, have been since early March last year. We do one big shop a week, then if we need anything else, I go down the local Co-op at 7:00 in the morning. If we talk to anyone, then it will be a road width between us. No indoors contact with anyone.
It is difficult, but I have absolutely no interest in having takeaways, going to a pub or any other public place until this is all sorted.
Next door neighbour is a fit guy in his forties, who got Covid-19 early December. His son told me that he is still having trouble breathing and getting up stairs.

We are still avoiding contact with others as much as possible.

All of our groceries are delivered and the delivery drivers are great - they put the boxes on the door step and stand away until we have unloaded and returned them.
Neither of us have been in a supermarket since mid March last year. Apart from the odd drive in the car to keep the battery in decent condition neither of us have been more than 2 miles from home since last March, but we are lucky in having a garden.

Mrs Tringa exercises indoors and when I go for a walk I give everyone a wide berth. Have to say the vast majority of the people I see when walking are very good about maintaining a good distance.

Given the recent increase in cases and deaths(we reached 50,000 deaths by around November 11th, but since then we have added another 28,000) I can't see things changing for some time.

Dave

Back