Is the Honda S2000 really that good ?

DJW

Edit My Images
Yes
Just noticed for 2nd year running the AutoExpress Top 100 reader survey has S2000 at #1 again. Knowing there are a few owners on here, the question is ....is it really that good ?

Reason for asking is I may look at a s/h Z4 3.0 or Porsche Boxster for the summer, but was wondering what I may be missing out on. Can't say I like the looks of the Honda as much as the other two & the idea of having to scream the engine sounds a bit tiring after a while.

From memory on TG didn't the Civic Type R beat it round Castle Combe ? .....with a large tail slide on last corner ;)

So over to the Honda salesmen....... what's it all about then, hey ? :suspect1: ;)

I see your photo selling career is really taking off. :D

Not having driven an S2K but owning a highly modified CTR I will give you my 2p's worth...

I'm in pretty much the same position - I'm after some topless RWD action for the summer and I have pretty much decided on the Boxster S. I feel it's a lot more car for the money (I'm looking at spending upto 20k so it would be a 02/52 plate).

The Honda would cost less to run and they are utterly reliable as I know from 2 years of CTR ownership, but I guess I just fancy a change!

BTW it was 5th Gear and the tight twisty track at Anglesey that saw the CTR do the S2K, but it was also a very wet track so not really a proper result. I have no doubt my modded CTR could beat a standard S2K round any track, but that's hardly comparing like for like.

Will do....have tried the Z4 already.....very nice, great sound & had such good fun I only got 17mpg avg ;) . As with any car though it's hard to get a proper feel until you have driven it for a week or so.....thus the low down from owners on good & bad points is invaluable :)

kamion said:
I see your photo selling career is really taking off. :D

I wish :p . It's called moving house to one half the cost ;)

Hey Dave, you can buy mine if you want! :D

I'm downgrading to a CTR very soon.

BTW, I can't believe how much I'm going to miss my S (boo hoo!). :(

evilowl said:
BTW it was 5th Gear and the tight twisty track at Anglesey that saw the CTR do the S2K,...

Obviously also been done at that location, but it was also definetely done at Castle Combe ...I used to live 12 miles away from circuit so knew it well. Think it was either Plato or Tiff driving the CTR & nearly losing it on last corner big time .....track was dry from memory. Just searched google & found other threads on subject (just to check my sanity ;) )

SammyC said:
I'm downgrading to a CTR very soon.(

Now don't let the CTR owners hear you say their beasts are a downgrade ;)

Haven't seriously looked at S2000's.....how much are you talking vs £20K Z4's & Boxsters ?

Well mines a 2003 on a 52 plate, done 21k miles and I expect to get around 17k when I px it at a Honda dealers.

They are fantastic cars, way more of a car than the BMW or Boxster BUT both of the others are more flattering as the S has no traction control or fancy gadgets to make you think you are driving god.

As CT said ages ago, he can drive his CTR much quicker from A to B than his S because the CTR is much more predictable. I found exactly the same on my CTR test drive.

If you want a true road racer, get an S, if you are more concerned with ease of use then get either of the others.

BTW, I have nothing against either of the others you mentioned it just they are intended for a different audience.

BTW (#2), 9200 rpm is something else! :D

BTW (#3), make sure its in the dry, muchos worrying in the wet! :D

but the nose on the Z4 looks all droopy like its gotten too hot....

You definitely have to get it in the right colour & it has to have the big alloys to look decent.

Ref rev range it reminds me of riding sportsbikes.....14k revs. I suppose the S2000 is like comparing a 750 sports bike to a 900 say. I found my GSXR750 had to be screamed to get best from it, yet the ZX9R I had later had more grunt down lower, so more relaxing ( bike...relaxing...ha !!!!) to ride. Expect it's the same with the S2000 vs large lumps (engine not driver;) ) in the Z4 & Boxster

I would have thought so too.

It's just something you have to get usd to, depends where you come from. My previous car was a Clio 172 which had a similar behaving 2l engine i.e. needs to be reved.

With the S you get normal 2l performance up to 6k rpm and then it switches to the high cams, the touch paper it lit, there are flashes of light and you arrive at your destination three weeks ago (or was that in a film I saw..).

:)

Give the S2000 a test drive.

I intended to keep mine for 3yrs and then move onto something else. Couldn't bring myself to get rid of it. You need to spend a lot more to get a significant improvement. Never had anything go wrong with it and running costs are pretty low.

Was tempted with the Nissan 350Z, have you considered them?

DJW said:
Obviously also been done at that location, but it was also definetely done at Castle Combe ...I used to live 12 miles away from circuit so knew it well. Think it was either Plato or Tiff driving the CTR & nearly losing it on last corner big time .....track was dry from memory. Just searched google & found other threads on subject (just to check my sanity ;) )

Ahh it was driven! Forgot about that one. Here's the video and yeah it was wet: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4249199324747017898&q=ctr+vs+s2000&pl=true

Probably never got above 5000 rpm if it was wet in the S then! :D

Good vid that, the race bit that is, the rest is a bit dull. The S always seems to be racing in the wet, doesn't really stand a chance as everything else seems to be either FWD or have traction control. On Top Gear it went up against the Z4 and Boxster on a wet track and lost. Would have won both if dry.

evilowl said:
Ahh it was driven! Forgot about that one. Here's the video and yeah it was wet: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4249199324747017898&q=ctr+vs+s2000&pl=true

Great to watch again & what a great last corner :)

So S2000 in wet a bit dicy hey.....sounds like a TVR ;)

SammyC, price sounds good for trade in , based on Autotrader prices. Looking at older ones, I'm assuming Honda reliability means 40-60K miles is no probs ? 2000 model can be had for around £10-11k for that mileage , which makes it very cheap fun in relative terms........ mmmmm....you've got me thinking now......damn....more decisions ;)

Looking at Parkers tech reviews am I right that 2001 there were chassis tweaks , plus aircon & CD as std, then in 2002 glass rear screen instead of plastics ? .....Ouch ...super unleaded :(

40-60k miles would be barely run in on a Honda! My CTR is only loosening up properly now it's coming up to 25k!

Well if Honda's are that good maybe I should look at NSX's ;).....no stop stop :hand: :banghead: :whistle2:

There's been tweeks pretty much every year, main ones were softer rear end in 2001 to make it much more predictable in the wet, glass rear screen (worth having) is 02, and then cosmetic changes in 04.

It's going to be tricky in the wet with 240 bhp through rear wheels with no traction control, dry weather tyres as standard, LSD and light too. It's not that bad really, you just have to understand that you have to be smooooooth when its slippy. :)

Sounds like fun. Having owned a bike with 130bhp at rear wheel I know what you mean about being smooth ;)

It's very like riding a sports bike actually, you need to be smooth to get the best from it, no real torque, and rev it hard in every gear! :)

I think you'll love it as a car, but it depends on if you can live with it day to day.

SammyC, what colour is ur S? Maybe you can exchange with my CTR. :D

Just Kidding.

Why are you "stepping down" to a CTR?

Ladyboy blue, or light blue in more polite circles. :D

Cost really is the reason, I only drive across town to work each day and its a hell of a waste or a car. But I wanted a Honda still and still wanted something a bit nippy, CTR fitted that bill perfectly.

Gonna miss that convertable roof though. :(

The S2000 is still the best bang for your buck sports car on the market IMHO. I ran mine for 3 years and loved it. I'd recommend one to anyone with the proviso that it's more than a little compromised in the handling dept in the wet and more so in the snow. It has that in common with many other roadsters of course, but the S2000 doesn't have any safe woolly understeer built in so needs bags of respect in adverse conditions or it really will bite you on the bum! If you really need to be rolling in all weathers then winter tyres would be a big help if not downright essential.

If I wanted a roadster for covering lots of lazy miles in comfort I'd go for the Boxster S, but for fun on the twisty bits when the roads are dry, I'd take the S2000 every time, it's just manic exhilarating fun.

I swapped to the CTR for the slightly better all weather capability, near identical performance, and the obvious practical aspects, but if I was in the market for a roadster it would be another S2000.

I Definatly remember TG saying that people who drive Boxsters are only driving them because they can't afford a 911! :shock: :D

Witch said:
I Definatly remember TG saying that people who drive Boxsters are only driving them because they can't afford a 911! :shock: :D

In exactly the same way as 911 drivers are only driving them because they can't afford a Carrera GT.

Back