Is there a difference between the Bronica AE & AE II prism finder?

Name
DavidS
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

It may have been a while since I posted anything if at all :(

I do have a question though, having just added to my camera collection a Bronica ETRS; my first foray into medium format (and apologies if this has been answered elsewhere): per the thread title, is there a difference between the Bronica AE & AE II prism finder?

I can only see reference to the AE II prism finder online but there is an AE [only] listed on eBay. Somewhat confused.

Many thanks if you can help.

David

According to the Bronica Manual, there are no less than 5 finders in the ETR system. It refers to the "sophisticated AE-II as the only one to feature an integral through-the-lens open aperture metering system, complete with two exposure modes: aperture priority auto and manual exposure"

The others are the Waist-level finder, the non-metering Prism Finder, the Rotary Finder and the Action Prism Finder, which is also non-metering.

Last edited:
Exactly what Peter has said.!

Just for your info, according to your profile you last posted a comment on here back in November last year, yes a little while ago, not that it matters as we always welcome victims, oops I mean people into the f&c dungeon , oops darned typos again, I mean forum ! [emoji23] lol

Exactly what Peter has said.!

Just for your info, according to your profile you last posted a comment on here back in November last year, yes a little while ago, not that it matters as we always welcome victims, oops I mean people into the f&c dungeon , oops darned typos again, I mean forum ! [emoji23] lol

Thanks for the kind words, always a warm welcome.:LOL:

According to the Bronica Manual, there are no less than 5 finders in the ETR system. It refers to the "sophisticated AE-II as the only one to feature an integral through-the-lens open aperture metering system, complete with two exposure modes: aperture priority auto and manual exposure"

The others are the Waist-level finder, the non-metering Prism Finder, the Rotary Finder and the Action Prism Finder, which is also non-metering.

Appreciate this, it was a little confusing. Medium format is new to me as I said but excited to see what it brings to my picture taking.

My Bronica is coming with the waist level finder. I'd like an eye-level one too so may go for the AE II if I can get a decent one at a good price. I have my eye on a couple on eBay. Thanks.

I find that using the waist level finder transforms my photography. The image perspective is both lower and less natural so a slightly different part of my brain is judging what I see.

My ETRS came with the AE prism and a waist level finder. Plus the hand grip. I ditched the grip and prism, as I prefer a waist level finder. It makes me see the scene framed, and the lateral reversal adds an extra distancing that aids in really noticing things.

I don't get on with eye level cameras - they encourage me to just notice the centre, ignore the edges and just snap away regardless. But that's just me.

Last edited:
I find that using the waist level finder transforms my photography. The image perspective is both lower and less natural so a slightly different part of my brain is judging what I see.
That's an interesting perspective I'd not thought of. My DSLRs have a live view feature as many do but that's in no way comparable to a WLF view I appreciate.

My ETRS came with the AE prism and a waist level finder. Plus the hand grip. I ditched the grip and prism, as I prefer a waist level finder. It makes me see the scene framed, and the lateral reversal adds an extra distancing that aids in really noticing things.

I don't get on with eye level cameras - they encourage me to just notice the centre, ignore the edges and just snap away regardless. But that's just me.
Using the Bronica is going to be a wholly different experience clearly. The one I'm getting has a WLF.

I agree, using an eye-level finder, for me anyway, seems to lock my brain into snapshot mode. It's what I've been used to since I started with photography years ago. Using the Bronica with the WLF, the pace I'll take pictures will be much slower in the best way. I take mainly landscape so should prove ideal though I may look at getting an eye-level finder too so I have the option as I said above.

Last edited:
Hello,

It may have been a while since I posted anything if at all :(

I do have a question though, having just added to my camera collection a Bronica ETRS; my first foray into medium format (and apologies if this has been answered elsewhere): per the thread title, is there a difference between the Bronica AE & AE II prism finder?

I can only see reference to the AE II prism finder online but there is an AE [only] listed on eBay. Somewhat confused.

Many thanks if you can help.

David

Just following up on my original post, is the AE II finder worth having as an eye-level finder so I do have the option over the WLF or am I better off with just the prism finder E?

I'm thinking if I'm going 'old school' as I was back in my youth, just me and my Zenith E [yes, really, my 1st camera :p]?

I do have a [Weston] light meter.

I'd appreciate your wise thoughts.

I have both the WLF and AE-II. I haven't used the AE-II much, but that has more to do with the bag, which was too small until recently. There are some situations where the AE-II could be useful...
  • Through-lens metering, obviously, such as through a filter like a polariser, or being able to do a reflected reading based on what the lens sees.
  • Works well in 'big SLR' mode with the Speedgrip, especially with moving subjects because left/right isn't inverted.
  • Being able to see when the camera is too high to use the WLF.
On the latter, I was trying to get a photo of the top of a lump of stone (possibly a gravestone, or some sort of graveyard ornament). The height of the stone, the desired angle of view, and distance to the camera were such that it was a struggle to look through the WLF. That (and the lack of an extension tube to get the 150mm to focus close enough - no room again) was probably what prompted me to finally get a bag with enough capacity.

To my mind, the two finders have their own pros and cons, and I have no particular preference (I don't really care if a finder is eye level, waist level, or large format with everything inverted).

Last edited:
@Nomad Z Thanks, that is a good answer. I feel I want my bases
I have both the WLF and AE-II. I haven't used the AE-II much, but that has more to do with the bag, which was too small until recently. There are some situations where the AE-II could be useful...
  • Through-lens metering, obviously, such as through a filter like a polariser, or being able to do a reflected reading based on what the lens sees.
  • Works well in 'big SLR' mode with the Speedgrip, especially with moving subjects because left/right isn't inverted.
  • Being able to see when the camera is too high to use the WLF.
On the latter, I was trying to get a photo of the top of a lump of stone (possibly a gravestone, or some sort of graveyard ornament). The height of the stone, the desired angle of view, and distance to the camera were such that it was a struggle to look through the WLF. That (and the lack of an extension tube to get the 150mm to focus close enough - no room again) was probably what prompted me to finally get a bag with enough capacity.

To my mind, the two finders have their own pros and cons, and I have no particular preference (I don't really care if a finder is eye level, waist level, or large format with everything inverted).

@Nomad Z Thanks, that is a good answer. I feel I want both my bases covered.

So you would go with the AE II over the standard prism finder based on what you said?

So you would go with the AE II over the standard prism finder based on what you said?

I specifically chose the AE-II to get the metering - it wasn't just about having an eye level pentaprism finder. The main reason for getting a metered finder was the ability to meter through filters, especially a polariser because it doesn't have a defined filter factor.

Whether or not that suits you is for you to decide. I tend to the view that, if I'm going to have the added weight and bulk of a prism finder, it might as well have a meter in it.

I specifically chose the AE-II to get the metering - it wasn't just about having an eye level pentaprism finder. The main reason for getting a metered finder was the ability to meter through filters, especially a polariser because it doesn't have a defined filter factor.

Whether or not that suits you is for you to decide. I tend to the view that, if I'm going to have the added weight and bulk of a prism finder, it might as well have a meter in it.

I can't fault that reasoning at all. I'll go for the AE II over the Prism E. Many thanks for the input and advice :ty:

Have owned both the ae and ae ii. The ii appears to have one extra contact on it (10 instead of 9), and I’ve found that I have to press the display button instead of the shutter to see any metering on the I. Whereas with the ae ii I wasn’t even aware of the display button as the shutter press revealed it for me. Not sure if this is an error with my prism or an attribute of the ae I

Back