Is there such a thing as art photography?

I suspect that there's a certain amount of puzzlement at the way it took on a life of its own.
That's one of the very best things about forum threads - few if any of us know where they'll go next. :tumbleweed:

Q.
What I am wondering, is it the aesthetic pleasure — the artistic pleasure of putting something together?

A.
I never use the explanation of “art,” as a matter of fact every time there is the Magnum meeting and they start to talk about art I say: “Can we eliminate from the annual meeting the word art? Let’s just talk about photography. What is this art?”

(Part 2 is here in case anyone wants it ;
https://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/11/20/josef-koudelka-a-restless-eye/?searchResultPosition=2 )

On the sole occassion when I worked at a publishing company (which produced a number of image heavy books) one of the managers told me that...
the problem with any "artist" is that either they take themselves too seriously and won't turn stuff in until they're happy with it or they're so drunk, so much of the time, that they never deliver anything. Please God, give me someone who's in it for the money and understands what a deadline is!
:wideyed: :naughty:

Last edited:
That's one of the very best things about forum threads - few if any of us know where they'll go next. :tumbleweed:
Someone said of Usenet (one of the things we had before the world wide web)
"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhoea. Massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."

Back