Is this a good deal?

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking to purchase my first DSLR camera, I have a budget of £500 and from information garnered from people at work, I'm leaning towards a canon (for one thing, the lads at work have canons, so I'll be able to borrow lenses to try before I buy in the future) and I have found the following offer on a Canon EOS 1000D.......

Camera model number EOS 1000D

•10.1 mega pixels.
•CMOS sensor, 22.2 x 14.8mm.

Viewing

•2.5in LCD screen with Live View.
•7 focus points in the viewfinder.

Features

•Shutter speed 1/4000sec.
•Continuous shooting up to 3 frames per second.
•Memory card compatibility: SD/SDHC.
•12 scene modes.
•Built-in flash.
•Hot shoe for additional flash.
•PictBridge compatible.
•Canon EF/EF-S lens mount - 84 lenses available.
•Rechargeable Li-ion battery supplied.
•Weight 450g.
•Size H9.8, W12.6, D6.2cm.

Lens 1

•Focal length 18-55mm.

Lens 2

•Focal length 75-300mm.

The cost of this package is £479.89p.

I'll be honest, a lot of the above goes over my head, but I'm reading up, trying to get a handle on the jargon. So far the reviews I have read about the EOS 1000D seem favourable for an entry level camera but I am looking for a little reassurance before parting with the best part of £500. I'll be perfectly honest, I have had my head turned a little by the second lens included in this deal.

Please don't get to technical because it will be wasted on me, like I said, this is a whole new adventure for me at the moment, but I would greatly value the opinions of people with the right kind of knowledge to advise me accordingly.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice that anybody can offer me.

Would you be willing to buy a second-hand camera? If so, you can definitely do better...

A few people have said that to me, but I like the safety net provided by the garuntee that accompanies a new camera.

Still, seeing as it's been mentioned, can anybody give me an idea of what I might be able to obtain second hand for £500?? And highlight the benefits over what I am looking at. Like I said, I'm totally new to this and an unscrupulous person could sell me literally anything.

I was advised that this was the place to come to if I had any questions, and I guess this is the beginning of a whole lot of them.....

That being said, for a brand new entry level package, is the quoted price reasonable??

Yeah, it's a pretty good deal I think.

Second-hand you might be able to get a 40D or 500D - with a bit of patience you might be able to get one that includes all the other junk you'll be wanting (memory cards, cases etc.) as well as lenses. Or you could almost certainly get a 1000D with such stuff too.

It's a personal choice - cameras do break (although they are pretty damn good) so there is always an argument for buying new. I've always bought cameras new, for exactly the same reasons you would, so I'd be massively hypocritical saying it's the wrong choice.

So...look at second-hand (on here that isn't exactly a massive task) and get a feel for what costs what. Then make your decision.

There isn't such a thing as a bad Canon DSLR to be honest, so you can't go wrong whatever!

Thanks for your time, I'll take your advice and go and have a good root around, see what I can turn up.

I would look around. The 450D is an old model now and the 75-300 lens is one of the worst telephotos Canon ever made.

Look for either a good deal on the 500D for a new camera or for a used model (i.e. a nice 40D) from a shop that will offer a few months warranty i.e. MPB photographic, Ffordes, Park cameras, Mifsuds etc.

Spend some time in the forums and read a few threads before you decide, you wonlt regret it.

Oh, and welcome to the forum :) !!!

Best buy money and camera wise now is the Pentax K-x, just over 400 quid with kit lens

At that price it knocks the Canon you mention into a cocked hat

And I own a Canon, but wouldn't hesitate to buy the Pentax if I wanted a new camera to start off with

Hiya,

I have a 1000D which I bought in January this year and just clocked over 10k shots with it. I am thouroughly enjoying the camera as a beginner to DSLR (there is still so much I still need to learn), but I think it has produced some great pics.

I find it a comfortable camera to hold, but then I have small hands. I think some folk find it a bit small if they have larger hands.

There are some things that I would consider when it comes to me upgrading, i.e., the setting and controls etc, but like I said, as a beginning it has been great, and I hope I get quite a bit more use out of it before I think about moving up. Have recently had my first dust bunnies, but then again, you could get those with even the most expensive equipment.

Just some things to consider when buying second hand is 1. how the camera has been used and how many pics taken, 2. if there is a warranty.

I hope you find what you are looking for and enjoy your photography experience.

D :)

Nikon man here so can not comment on Canon - good reputation though

my 2p? just buy the kit lens to start
you may find your interest lies in a certain area and you do/dont need a 75-300 zoom

i found I liked landscapes and sold off my 55-200 lens which was never used

welcome to TP..........:D

First thing I would do if I where starting from scratch is go into a shop and get the feel of whats in your price range.

As Dawn has said the 1000D fits her tiny hands, a 50D might seem too big.

I had a 1000D for a second camera recently, wow it was tiny.

I have a 5D2 and a battery grip and for me it's bulk feels comfortable.

Look at all makes of camera, but remember if you don't go with the big 2 spend some time looking at lens availability for others.

My personal choice would be save another £100 and then get a low count minty 40D and a Tamron 18-250 if necessary both second hand.

For a while I used a minty 10D that had less than 5k shutter count, cost me £125 and I added the above lens new for about £250.

Don't rush into anything :D

Grab the camera, be it a 1000d or 450d but hold on the lens as others suggest.
The 75-300 is not the best and Image Stabilised is really essential at 200mm plus so the 55-250 might be a better option but ONLY if you find a need for it.

Best buy money and camera wise now is the Pentax K-x, just over 400 quid with kit lens

At that price it knocks the Canon you mention into a cocked hat

And I own a Canon, but wouldn't hesitate to buy the Pentax if I wanted a new camera to start off with

I bought the Pentax package. I'd tried the canon deal you're talking about and found the canon to be a terrible fit in my hand.

For that budget I'd go for a used 40D or a new 500D with 18-55mm IS. Might be worth speaking to Kerso who sells Canon photo gear and member on here as well I believe (look in the classified forums section).

Don't bother with Canon 75-300mm lens, save up for a better one because that one gets bad reviews.

When he has Canon lenses available to borrow, a Pentax isn't a very good idea. The best way to find which lenses you want to buy is to borrow them, and if you can do that for free as you're starting off it is a massive, massive luxury. It'd entirely make my mind up about which brand I was going for.

When he has Canon lenses available to borrow, a Pentax isn't a very good idea. The best way to find which lenses you want to buy is to borrow them, and if you can do that for free as you're starting off it is a massive, massive luxury. It'd entirely make my mind up about which brand I was going for.

Same here, unless you found them horridly awkward I'd definitely go with the canon under those circs!

I'd pop at this link http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/us...l-slr-cameras/used-canon-digital-slr-cameras/ for a start, in the suppliers section down in the forum there's a list of used suppliers if you fancy a look (I only mention MPB as i can remember the name to google them :LOL:)

I eventually doubled my budget and went brand new though, seems a good option ;)

Well, I'm thinking Canon, because of the opportunity to borrow lenses to be honest, but the Pentax advocates piqued my interest, as such I went looking, and I found a deal including an 18-55 kit and also a 50-200 kit, for £449.99.

Same question I guess, it claims to carry a total saving of £180, so, does it represent enough value to turn my head from the Canons???

To be honest with most DSLRs you get similar specifications and quality at similar prices so it comes down to which camera you are most comfortable with and are most likely to use. Due to the availability of borrowed lenses I would sway towards canon but if you don't find it suits you then go for another make.

I started of with the Pentax K100D and kit lens ,by the way the pentax 18-55 kit lens is a belter probably the best out there .

Then i tried the Canon450D ,had the 18-55 kit lens ,sigma 70-200 F2.8 and tamron 17-50 F2.8 . To be honest i wasn't that impressed ,i found the shots lacked contrast and a bit soft .

I've now gone back to Pentax K10D with kit lens and sigma 17-70 and i'm delighted ,shots are sharp and contrasty just the way i like it .Another reason i moved back to the Pentax brand ,all lenses every made by pentax are usable on the DSLR body ,i bought the 50mm f1.7 for £23 can't go wrong . The above kit cost £460 .

Basically what i'm saying there are other options out there,other than the Canon/Nikon and every bit as good ,better in some cases

All the DSLRs will give you good results, best thing to do is go to a decent Camera shop and handle a few different cameras.
Ask to try different lenses on them, and then, when you find one thats comfortable and you like the layout of the controls and menus, see who is doing the best deal.

I would just go with the kit lens to start with, then see what kind of photography you want to do before buying extra lenses.

Dave.

Sony are doing a great cash back deal on many of there DSLRs. There workth a look.

If like me, you're not bothered by the badge, look at Samsung DSLRs, all Pentax lenses fit.

The other thing is that the 1000D normally comes with the non-IS 18-55mm which isn't as good as the IS 18-55mm that comes with the 450D or better.

Jessops are doing a deal right now

450d + 18-55 IS kit lens + 75-300 IS zoom lens

Cracking deal ....

450 twin lens kit for £549

Better camera, 2 decent lenses..

Well worth a look

Agree, 2nd lens doesn't have a great writ up!

A friend of mine was recently after a 1000D originally as a first DSLR and I suggested he looked at a second hand Canon. He eventually opted for a second hand Canon 30D with 2 lenses for £350 and hasn't looked back since.
As is always advised, go into a shop and try a few as the 1000D is very small and light and may not suit. I personally don't like the 1000D as it feels tiny and plasticy and is very much beginner level, but that may not be the case with you.
I also recently sold my Sigma 70-300mm in mint condition for only £70 so you may find better deals around.

PS - Welcome to the forum.

A used 450d with the 18-55mm IS lens would be much better. If you want a cheap tele lens the sigma 70-300mm APO is great

Back