Is this a light leak?

That looks very much like pin holes in a shutter curtain, the intesity of which depends on the time between shots. Of course, if it was from a leaf shutter camera, it cannot have been.

Good point but every shot wasn't affected and I'm a sunny weather shooter and would normally use 1/250 sec all the time...the clue was direct light coming from the sun so did all the tests (as in the recent thread about a light leak) like a torch in darkness, camera on a tripod at different angles to the sun...and eventually gave up. Shame really as the Petri MF-1 although the controls felt cheap, was probably the smallest M42 SLR camera made and kinda liked it.

Last edited:
To liven this place up:- anyone like to offer a theory why light leaks can be white or orange (or I suppose in between)...my answer would be a direct beam of sunlight and it would be white, but more diffused (less light and not a direct beam) would be orange.

To liven this place up:- anyone like to offer a theory why light leaks can be white or orange (or I suppose in between)...my answer would be a direct beam of sunlight and it would be white, but more diffused (less light and not a direct beam) would be orange.

White would be a leak from the front, orange a leak from the back, coming through the film stock.

For small holes you get diffraction effects - the same as makes the sky blue most of the time but red at sunset - both with white sunlight.

White would be a leak from the front

H'mm the jury is out on that one i.e. only from the front...with my problem with the Petri above, I even considered a beam of light bouncing off my spectacles and thru' the viewfinder onto the film o_O :eek:...can't remember if I taped the viewfinder with gaffa tape as it was a few years ago.

Back