Is this a portrait?

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
Although I have been into photography for quite a while I have only very recently tried shooting with a model and dabbling in some portrait photography. I took a few shots a week or so ago and am thinking of entering them in a club competition. There is a but though... one of the photos I would quite like to enter is a full body shot. My question is, can this be considered as a portrait? Or is that generally classed as a upper body & head shot?

Many thanks,
Lee

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Tz8Nat]Image 5 by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

It is a portrait.
… a full figure one but, still, it is a portrait.

Your club competition has possibly established
rules and definitions that you should be aware
of before entering.

Good luck.

It is unusual but nevertheless a portrait.
My main problem with it are the over sharpening of the edges.

It is unusual but nevertheless a portrait.
My main problem with it are the over sharpening of the edges.
This^

A good 'portrait' ought to tell us something about the subject, but this is certainly a portrait, just think about knocking the sharpening down a few notches.

Thanks all.
I checked the club comp rules and it states that it can be formal or candid but must be a human. I agree about the unusual nature of the shot but I think that's what draws me to it. Hopefully, it will draw the attention of the Judge too (in a positive way of course!).

Thanks for the heads up on the over sharpening. It looks more pronounced on here than when I look at the file once exported out of Lightroom. Maybe Flickr does a little something to it? I will back it off a bit.

Thanks all.
I checked the club comp rules and it states that it can be formal or candid but must be a human. I agree about the unusual nature of the shot but I think that's what draws me to it. Hopefully, it will draw the attention of the Judge too (in a positive way of course!).

Thanks for the heads up on the over sharpening. It looks more pronounced on here than when I look at the file once exported out of Lightroom. Maybe Flickr does a little something to it? I will back it off a bit.

Relevant bit bolded.

Back