Is this a real Rode VideoMic?

Considering it comes from Shenzen, it's unlikely. Whether it'll be any different is another thing.

Do you think it would sound the same? He has sold 80 and seems to have good feedback, I just cant afford a £80 at the moment..

It's not even a fake!

It doesn't even attempt to look like either the VideoMic or the VideoMic Pro. There's no RØDE branding anywhere on the mic in any of the photos.

They are simply adding the RØDE name to the listing in order to attract buyers.

Having said this, there are some very good Chinese-made microphones, including brands such as SE Electronics (amongst others). So although it is no RØDE, it might be a quite capable device.

I have that exact mic, I very rarely do any video but I picked one up just to have slightly better sound than the built in mic for when I do. The basic sound is good, it's very clear and definitely better than the built-in mic but it does produce quite a lot of background hiss. In general use it doesn't really cause a problem but in quiet situations you will notice it. Some noise is to be expected though, it won't exactly be a high end preamp in there!

It's certainly worth it for the price though and should serve you well until you can pick up something a little better. :)

Back