Is this a scam

Galaxy66

Jeremy Beadle
Name
My name is Mal not Jeremy :)
Edit My Images
Yes
I am selling a Blu Ray player on facebook and I'm sure this must be some kind of scam, is there even such a service where they would collect the cash hand over the cash and collect the player then deliver it to the buyer ?? my head tells ne it is a scam as it would not be worth it for a £70 Blu ray player !

Hi it is in excellent condition and asking £70 ono i live just south of alnwick but willing to meet somewhere for convenience.

11018319_10153307553647415_7063283738244905092_n.jpg

Roberto sent Today at 12:00

OK, I buy, but on the other hand, I would make your payment via UPS EXPRESS delivery in an envelope that is to say that the service ups express will send one of his factor at your home to give you the money as soon as you receive the money that everything is ok you give them the article so they can bring it I hope you understand me

I would be VERY surprised if it wasn't. :facepalm:

What I should really be asking is how does the scam work, maybe they need some bank and personal details of me first ??

I'd be saying no to that.
Why risk it. Someone else will buy it and collect from you...

I'm definitely not risking it :) as soon as UPS Express was mentioned my alarm bells went, just curious as to how the scam works.

I'm going to guess either fake money, or the envelope is empty and they claim you stole the money.

ETA: Google says fake money. Or possibly the courier had nothing but is in a big hurry so you accept an instant payment. Seems a lot of fuss for a70 quid dvd player so it might just be advanced fee fraud.

Only one ready to find out.......

DO NOT DO THAT! DON'T EVEN TRY TO RESPOND. these scams can turn very nasty.

Last edited:
Tori-T It is not boxed up....why do you ask ? :)

I doubt they'd claim theft. That way lies law enforcement involvement, and a scammer would definitely not want that.

I'm quite curious how this scam works!
I think they'd have a hard job sending an empty envelope then claiming you stole it. Seems like this would need either the parcel company or police to be involved and I don't think scammers would normally do that.
I have a hunch that while he is telling you now that he is sending cash, what will actually happen will be something different. Maye he sends a cheque or other form of payment with the an 'incorrect' larger amount and you send him the difference?

Tori-T It is not boxed up....why do you ask ? :)
Because any courier company will destroy it during the shipping process without adequate protection.
I'd surmise a fraudster will turn up with a UPS Express envelope containing fake cash or a fake/stolen check/money order.

Because any courier company will destroy it during the shipping process without adequate protection.
I'd surmise a fraudster will turn up with a UPS Express envelope containing fake cash or a fake/stolen check/money order.
It would make more sense if I were selling an item of a much higher value .

Going on Da Inglish alone I wouldn't touch it with the proverbial..

It may only be £70 quid, and unlikely that you would start proceedings against them, if it goes tits up,
but a few of these a week soon adds up ;)

Last edited:
Which I why a scammer would do it. If people think such actions wouldn't be worth it, then they're easier to get away with.
Those fake Royal Mail emails requesting people send £1.50 for an item with unpaid postage are evidently very profitable.

Never, ever accept a Paypal payment for an item being collected.
If the buyer claims non-delivery, you have no recognised proof they have it, and a refund will be actioned.

Which I why a scammer would do it. If people think such actions wouldn't be worth it, then they're easier to get away with.
Those fake Royal Mail emails requesting people send £1.50 for an item with unpaid postage are evidently very profitable.

I don't think the £1.50 is the target, my guess would be it's your bank account details are.

And they'd no doubt claim that it wasn't their signature

Quite possibly but you can also photograph them signing it. During these times, nothing is signed for anyways. Even my RM Special Delivery parcels are just left in a "safe place" close to my door when I'm not home.

They are massively scalable though. Once I've written the code to spam 10 people and tested it, I can just merge in with a list of phone numbers and scale up to 1M with no more effort. And if I use a war dialer I can just add some zeroes onto the loop limit and have it make money while I sleep.

Whatever this scam is, it's clearly more effort.

Are you not able to sell it locally ? Here there is by/sell set up just for people within my area and it's run by a FB group. As Cobra highlights the english isa poor from the start."Ok I buy "..?? Will send one of his factor at your home" ?? Whatever is a 'factor' ? The whole of the response is sounding alarm bells.

They are massively scalable though. Once I've written the code to spam 10 people and tested it, I can just merge in with a list of phone numbers and scale up to 1M with no more effort. And if I use a war dialer I can just add some zeroes onto the loop limit and have it make money while I sleep.
Funnily enough, someone just relieved Facebook of a massive list of targets...

The royal mail scam gets your bank details, you then get a phone call supposedly from your bank who can quote your account details. They tell you that your account has been accessed and that they are closing the account but need you to transfer your balance to a new account they have set up. Lots fall for it.

The royal mail scam gets your bank details, you then get a phone call supposedly from your bank who can quote your account details. They tell you that your account has been accessed and that they are closing the account but need you to transfer your balance to a new account they have set up. Lots fall for it.
Exactly what happened to an ex-police officer from Carlisle, see https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-56660334

Back