"Is this camera still worth it in 2022?" What a strange thing to say.

You watched their video and by doing so generated revenue for them. You were very much suckered in by the vloggers.

They got exactly what they wanted from you.
Well you have to watch one or two just to get a flavour of it. The trick is not to waste your time watching anymore.

And consequently you should upgrade your camera at least 3-4 times a year or your photos will be rubbish :)
But it also means that all your past photos taken with that now rubbish camera are now rubbish and should be binned. :LOL:

I've got an iPhone 7
Makes calls, sends texts, don't need the iPhone whatever number it's up to now
I have an old Samsung S6 with no SIM or memory card. I use the camera only to make my YT videos and it does a great job. I'll wager none of my viewers know or care that the video is filmed by an old phone.

I have an old Samsung S6 with no SIM or memory card. I use the camera only to make my YT videos and it does a great job. I'll wager none of my viewers know or care that the video is filmed by an old phone.
I only stopped using an S6 as my phone last December :D

Samsung have had fantastic cameras for a long time, and they have a gyro, which makes them great for photospheres too.

If you then say that you don't believe me because I won't do so, fine, no problem.
That's good because, to be honest, I don't.

One thing is right, it won't be worth what you paid back when.

Was the obsession with having the latest equipment the same during the film era? Certainly not in my case.

Was the obsession with having the latest equipment the same during the film era? Certainly not in my case.

The only thing thats changed is the ability to disseminate information more rapidly and share ideas with people over a greater distance. For as long as I can remember there has been a steady flow of new kit, advertised as revolutionising our ability to take pictures. I can remember how amazing it seemed that a Nikon FA camera could measure light levels in different segments of the scene and determine if a subject was back-lit, compensating accordingly.

But it also means that all your past photos taken with that now rubbish camera are now rubbish and should be binned. :LOL:
Admittedly I have this regret - the D800 and D810s served me well but when you see the 645z files, and the D850 ones I wish I had them earlier. They're just soooo clean and the extra res doesn't hurt.

Doesn't make my prior work less - but the newer tech might have made them that bit more.

Its an exciting time to be a photographer- the advances in software design, sensor and lens tech is all for the good

No - because it mattered less. The film quality mattered arguably more as that's what records the image

Now it's digital sensors- which are inbuilt to the camera - so newer camera means newer sensor.

Only read original post, But these headlines are nothing more than Click Bate.

Just try to resist clicking on them.

I paid £595 for my Pentax Z1-p in August 1995, would be lucky if I got £50 for it now (that's 2.5 rolls of slide film now)... I actually used it for Photo 24 at the weekend and enjoyed every single moment of it, and had a chuckle with a Mamiya RB67s owner about the indiscreet shutter noises. So, definitely worth it, even if there was a direct cost associated with it.

Actually used it in HyperProgram and HyperManual modes, which in the absence of auto-ISO, made changing shutter speeds and apertures so easy. Now resorted to using my Pentax and Nikon DSLRs in manual mode, 2-dial mode is the one feature that is a must have for me.

The issues with older tech is:

Old film stuff: price of film and old plastic/rubber disintegrating. Getting right batteries.
Old electronics: My AF500FTZ came out of hibernation. Flash wouldn't charge, but recharged batteries and a knock on the side, it's as good as new.
Older digital stuff: No-one wants old 16Gb or 32Gb cards anymore, limited storage on newer DSLRs and might not work on older DSLRs..
While with new stuff: crammed with stuff we don't need.......

I paid £595 for my Pentax Z1-p in August 1995, would be lucky if I got £50 for it now (that's 2.5 rolls of slide film now)... I actually used it for Photo 24 at the weekend and enjoyed every single moment of it, and had a chuckle with a Mamiya RB67s owner about the indiscreet shutter noises. So, definitely worth it, even if there was a direct cost associated with it.

Actually used it in HyperProgram and HyperManual modes, which in the absence of auto-ISO, made changing shutter speeds and apertures so easy. Now resorted to using my Pentax and Nikon DSLRs in manual mode, 2-dial mode is the one feature that is a must have for me.

The issues with older tech is:

Old film stuff: price of film and old plastic/rubber disintegrating. Getting right batteries.
Old electronics: My AF500FTZ came out of hibernation. Flash wouldn't charge, but recharged batteries and a knock on the side, it's as good as new.
Older digital stuff: No-one wants old 16Gb or 32Gb cards anymore, limited storage on newer DSLRs and might not work on older DSLRs..
While with new stuff: crammed with stuff we don't need.......
I have an older digital that won’t take larger than 1gb sd cards which are hard to come by - I guess there may be work around though haven’t looked.

And do you remember that moment when the price of a 1Gb card went below £100? I happened to be at Ffordes that day and they were super excited about it. That's when you could still buy microdrives.

And do you remember that moment when the price of a 1Gb card went below £100? I happened to be at Ffordes that day and they were super excited about it. That's when you could still buy microdrives.

What I remember is paying £400 for a hard drive with (can’t really remember but) about 30MB capacity for my Atari computer :(.

I tend to sell as I go on. I only have the one digital body. I do still have my early 90's 35mm SLR though.
I'm terrible for it. I have a couple of the expensive new models (R5 and Z6) but the rest is mostly "old" stuff, but it still mounts up. I've got a thing for Kodak and all the old things,.. got the first digital rebel still too!

These type of vlogs are a combination of click bait and the need for a YouTuber to upload regularly. If they don't upload regularly the algorithm penalises them.
I tend to watch vlogs that are more about the photography than the gear.

As for my gear, the majority of it was bought second hand. I do have a mirrorless Canon RP but it was secondhand and I got it because I wanted some of the improved features over my previous 6D. I did my own research and tried one out before buying.
I only have that digital ILC, but I do have 3 older film SLRs which work and do get used. No chance of being crippled by a software update.
I've only just stopped using my 2016 PC because the PSU went pop, but I can replace the power supply and carry on. Something you can't do with a Mac as a user (you can pay Apple to do it of course).
I work with PCs and Macs and I prefer the PCs every time. Same with phones. I prefer my Samsung S10e to the iPhone SE3 I have for work. It's a preference and not because one is more or less reliable, it's down to the user interface and experience.
Coming back around to the rough point, I don't see the need to upgrade (PC/phone/camera) just because something new is available. So long as the kit you have does the job you need, then it's far better to stick with it.
Even if I had the money for an R5, I probably wouldn't buy one just because it's newer than my current camera and offers bigger and better features. I would need to see if my use-case justified the new features.
Is an old bit of kit still relevant/worth it in 2022? Yes, if it does the job. I still have 20-25yr old bits of kit here being used daily for live TV.

Yeah there are a fair few of those "IS it worth buying****** in 2022" which is why I bought a Canon 1D.

Is a camera made in 2001 with a 4Mb CCD sensor still relevant in 2022?

I guess the answer is No but hell I love the images out of it :LOL:

Yeah there are a fair few of those "IS it worth buying****** in 2022" which is why I bought a Canon 1D.

I have an IR converted Nikon D70 that's a few years younger, but the thing is the camera was a piece of plastic junk when new, and if it weren't for the IR it would have gone in the bin a long time ago. :LOL:

My 400D lasted me 7 years. My 70D and 60D are still going strong after 8 years.

Cameras are not iPhone.

Sadly a lot of YouTubers think that having the latest and greatest makes them relevant / more professional etc.

This is really just the same as many hobbyist magazines - headlining why this incrementally better laptop is something you should get overexcited about - or why the latest car from a brand is so much better than the previous model they overhyped or telling you that you need some material or weighting on your golf clubs or some sort of bearing and clutch in a fishing reel or skateboards or some strange polymer soles in your running shoes.

Ah yes, but that's the thing. If you love it then it must still be relevant in 2022, and worth it.

Thing is, a bought my 5Div in 2017 and still have it. It produces lovely files, 5 years later. If it's still going in 10 years time, the files will be just as good. Granted, newer tech might be more but that doesn't make old tech bad.

Still have a 350D, my first DSLR, it too still produces the same files as it did when new, when it was the latest camera of its type. The final image is what matters to me, not how it was achieved with bells and whistles.

Newer tech doesn't make old tech bad, unless it already was.

I have a 1D ii n, not quite as old as your camera but there is something special about the images it produces. Not for low light or fast subjects but in other situations still very good.

Thing is, a bought my 5Div in 2017 and still have it. It produces lovely files, 5 years later. If it's still going in 10 years time, the files will be just as good. Granted, newer tech might be more but that doesn't make old tech bad.

Still have a 350D, my first DSLR, it too still produces the same files as it did when new, when it was the latest camera of its type. The final image is what matters to me, not how it was achieved with bells and whistles.

Newer tech doesn't make old tech bad, unless it already was.

Newer tech mainly makes things easier ;) :ROFLMAO:

Portrait, weddings, wildlife with the recent mirrorless eye detect tracking etc must make things not just easier, but also take a lot of pressure off of getting 'in focus' shots, etc - That's not to say there still isn't a lot of skill & knowledge & experience required mind you... ;) I still wouldn't fancy it even with the latest gear! ;) But on the flip side, an hour out could result in an awful lot of 20fps images to sort through - I wouldn't fancy that either!

I shoot mainly landscapes, night skies, woodlands so my 2013 A7 works just fine!

Newer tech mainly makes things easier ;) :ROFLMAO:

Portrait, weddings, wildlife with the recent mirrorless eye detect tracking etc must make things not just easier, but also take a lot of pressure off of getting 'in focus' shots, etc - That's not to say there still isn't a lot of skill & knowledge & experience required mind you... ;) I still wouldn't fancy it even with the latest gear! ;) But on the flip side, an hour out could result in an awful lot of 20fps images to sort through - I wouldn't fancy that either!

I shoot mainly landscapes, night skies, woodlands so my 2013 A7 works just fine!

Yup. I think mirrorless or rather the things that come with it don't just make things easier it also makes things more possible. For example you can have your subjects eye/face just about anywhere in the frame so not only do you have accurate focus you also get great compositional freedom. With a DSLR the focus points are all clustered around the middle so if you want accurate focus I suppose that's where your subjects face has to be, in that central area.

I revisited an old camera this week from 2012, my lumix TZ30, as I was going to a concert and only point and shoot compact cameras were allowed. I was very happy with the results and they were better than from my iPhone camera.

Are the pics as good as I can get from the latest gear, of course not. And the latest gear does have many features that make it much easier from a technical point of view. But they were not an option on this occasion.

So yes, well worth having in 2022 and I’ve entered one of the pics in the MBP competition thread.

In the end, a camera is a light box with a recording method inside it. All the bells and whistles, features, buttons, gadgets, call them what you will, are there to change an aperture, change a shutter speed and change the sensitivity, and that's it; everything else is pretty much unnecessary and only there to make life a little quicker and easier. Many years ago I had a Nikon FM2n film camera. It had two tiny batteries that ran an exposure meter consisting of two red LEDs for under/over exposure and a green one indicating that for normal conditions, the light was correct; those batteries lasted for years. These days, I have a Fuji X100v that has almost everything you can think of on it but for me, most of it is switched off. I bought it for the quality of the lens and the robustness of build, something that was largely present in my old Nikon. I miss that old bus, it made me think about light, apertures, shutter speeds -- it was even manual focus (although I don't miss that much). Video? Didn't have it then, don't use it now. I think if I wanted to do videos I'd buy a camcorder -- easier to hold, better quality, built for purpose.

What am I getting at here? Not really sure. I suppose I'm on a bit of a nostalgia trip for a time when things were a little slower, a time when if I raised a camera to my eye people didn't automatically assume I was trying to make money out of them or threaten their children or some such. A time when Amateur Photographer was 3/4 of an inch thick and postal shops like Jessops of Leicester and Fishwicks had brochures so fat with cameras, film and darkroom stuff they would almost put War and Peace to shame.

Today, if you don't have the latest thing you are just 'out of touch' with last years model, where, if you don't have at least 50Mp, your camera must be crap and by implication, as a photographer, so are you.

Unless something goes very wrong, at my age I think I've bought my last camera as many years ago cameras exceeded my ability to take a decent photograph. All the technological advances in the world can't give you 'the eye' required to make world-class images and I would willingly trade all my expensive equipment for the ability to see that 'one' picture that everyone would talk about.

ShinySideUp ‘above’ mentions nostalgia. Whenever I look back through many, many years of photographs (I’m 75) I am always drawn to my pictures taken with the Sony NEX-7 with the Sony Zeiss 24mm f1.8 lens. These were taken around 2012 and even today ’stand out’ with their colour, clarity and just . . . Wow ! Sure, focus systems have improved, noise control is much better but for most photographs taken these improvements are not really relevant. While the technology has undoubtedly made ‘ giant strides’ the final effect this has made to the ‘final image’ can (imo) be classed as marginal gains.
So, back to nostalgia, I have a excellent condition NEX-7 coming from MPB for the ‘insignificant‘ sum of £250.00. This was a £1,000.00 camera when released. Now I just have to find myself a Sony SEL24F18z. Anyone got one they don’t want ?

Back