is this just a re-named nikon

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
been offered a
Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro
it takes Nikon lens etc and to me it looks like a Mikon re-brand ??
any ideas if its any good

A good professional grade camera in it's day. But it's day was quite a while ago.

If it's free and you have an interest in collecting old technology it's worth it.

If you're thinking it's cheap alternative to a more modern camera you may be disappointed.

I have the S5pro which is basically a D200 body with Fuji internals. Bought it as a back up to a D300, but hardly sees the light of day since I picked up a used D3.

thanks guys they are asking £90 so I think i'll leave it foggy wanna sell your s5?

The FUji S3 Pro is a Nikon F80 film body with Fuji's digital guts crammed in, and good guts they are too! If you don't mind shooting raw and exposing to the right (beyond the right!) you get unbelievable dynamic range. Sharpness isn't the greatest in the world thanks to its strange sensor and matching aliasing pattern, and ISO performance is limited to 1600. It's a slow beast too it has to be said.

The S5 Pro was its replacement, boasting an almost identical sensor but with ISO performance now boosted to 3200 and supposed better colour accuracy. I actually preferred the output of my S3 to my S5 slightly. The S5 is housed in a Nikon D200 body, and although taking an identically specced battery, will not accept a Nikon unit (a Nikon body will use a Fuji battery I'm told). Any accessory that fits a Nikon D200 fits the S5 too.

I absolutely loved these cameras, but the limiting factor was the Nikon lens mount for me.

Rallying with an S5: https://www.flickr.com/photos/darkandindustrial/albums/72157637742823026

Industrial Landscape with the S5: https://www.flickr.com/photos/darkandindustrial/albums/72157635453521097

Railway with S3: https://www.flickr.com/photos/darkandindustrial/albums/72157631715998439 (includes and excellent demonstration of dynamic range capability, a messed up shot in which it was entirely white on screen recovered almost in its entirety!)

More S3 railway showing the excellent natural colour reproduction even under crap lighting: https://www.flickr.com/photos/darkandindustrial/albums/72157631542889217

cracking pictures Richard and the colours are brilliant!!

AH, it's the S5 I was thinking on. I remember when I was buying the D200 someone told me the Fuji S5 was the same thing if I could get one cheaper. but I went with the Nikon anyway

cracking pictures Richard and the colours are brilliant!!

RE colours - Yes they are, there is not another camera to touch them before or since IMO, even the current Fuji X system is lacking comparatively. At one point my bag consisted of Fuji S5, Nikon F100 and Fuji S5 converted to Infra red with the attendant mass of lenses. It weighted 14 kilos (!) Which is why I no longer shoot that system.

AH, it's the S5 I was thinking on. I remember when I was buying the D200 someone told me the Fuji S5 was the same thing if I could get one cheaper. but I went with the Nikon anyway

Were you disappointed? You should be - hang your head in shame!

Twins by Alan Jones, on Flickr

The one on the left has a Nikon D200 grip instead of the plain black Fuji one to distinguish it as being the Infra Red one!

No worries mate I keep looking:pompous:

RE colours - Yes they are, there is not another camera to touch them before or since IMO, even the current Fuji X system is lacking comparatively. At one point my bag consisted of Fuji S5, Nikon F100 and Fuji S5 converted to Infra red with the attendant mass of lenses. It weighted 14 kilos (!) Which is why I no longer shoot that system.

Were you disappointed? You should be - hang your head in shame!

Twins by Alan Jones, on Flickr

The one on the left has a Nikon D200 grip instead of the plain black Fuji one to distinguish it as being the Infra Red one!

Nah, the D200 was plenty enough for me at the time :) looks pretty much the same

Nah, the D200 was plenty enough for me at the time :) looks pretty much the same

They looked the same but were quite different inside and the output is very different. Camerastore did a look back review of one on YouTube. It's well worth a watch.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcAvAEqZCqU

S5's still have a big following and so values are quite high still, £200+. Great cameras but I think there are way better beginner options for the money.

Last edited:
They looked the same but were quite different inside and the output is very different. Camerastore did a look back review of one on YouTube. It's well worth a watch.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcAvAEqZCqU

S5's still have a big following and so values are quite high still, £200+. Great cameras but I think there are way better beginner options for the money.

I have noticed recently Sp3 & Sp5 have crept up a little at used dealers ???
Lets hope they have bottomed out and they will one day become sort after classics I have 8 of them including a new sealed boxed S5pro :LOL: :fuji:

Have to say I have always loved the image and quality of the old Fuji Dslrs
I started with the S1pro and went through all 4 generations of the Spro series
My first Dslr :):fuji:
Taken with a Nikon D2H 50mm f1:1.2 lens
My 1st Dslr Fuji by Philip Higgins, on Flickr

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have noticed recently Sp3 & Sp5 have crept up a little at used dealers ???
Lets hope they have bottomed out and they will one day become sort after classics I have 8 of them including a new sealed boxed S5pro :LOL: :fuji:

Wow... 8! Impressive!

I have the S3 Pro- and I adore it. It's slower than a snail on a tortoise going in the wrong direction on a moving walkway but I wouldn't be without mine. The pictures from that sensor have such a lovely quality

about them. And a very reliable focus as well, pictures are almost always sharp where I want them to be!
15535094138_6316501129_o.jpg 17563725085_4447231b69_o (1).jpg

Wow... 8! Impressive!

I have the S3 Pro- and I adore it. It's slower than a snail on a tortoise going in the wrong direction on a moving walkway but I wouldn't be without mine. The pictures from that sensor have such a lovely quality

about them. And a very reliable focus as well, pictures are almost always sharp where I want them to be!
View attachment 93333 View attachment 93332

I really love my Fuji S pro bodies and they can still produce the goods as you have demonstrated with your images simply wonderful colours.(y):fuji:

If you have been offered one for £90 bite there arm off , I recently sold one for virtually twice that . There are a lot of fans of them out there

I still have my S5 pro and will be keeping it. It's a heavy deliberate camera,quite clunky very much like the canon A1 in it's day. Using the cheap Sigma 10-20 lens I took some pictures that subsequently enlarged to A2 and they look superb, no pixelisation and fabulous colours. I have today ordered a spare battery, and a cf adapter so I can use SD cards in it to future proof it. I also have a grip so could use AA batteries if need be. I find because the camera is slow it makes me take more time on composition so it actually helps me!

I am agonising over getting a D500, but I already have a D300s, D90 and D40, with a variety of lenses, and if I'm honest I'm not getting the best out of what I have so will delay the D500, and get fully to grips with the D300 and using Affinity to a greater degree. It's always nice to have new kit but I honestly can't say it will help me take better pictures than using what I already have fully.

just realised this is a very old thread ....... ah well

Back