Is this PC spec OK for editing? (Sorry another one !)

GHP

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all.
I am after a new PC to use for editing only.
It will be for Lightroom, and PS cs5.
Possibly occasional web browsing.
I really am a numpty when it comes to PCs, as all my inhouse computer experts (The kids) have left home !!
Found this PC for about £360, and wondering if it sounds like it would do a job.
I already have a monitor, etc, just need to get the body of the PC.
Many thanks for the advice.

Processor
Intel Core i5 2500k Quad Core Processor @ 3.3GHz

Memory
8GB DDR3 RAM running at 1333MHz

Hard Drive
1TB SATA2 Hard Drive - Fast 7,200RPM spindle speed

Graphics

Intel HD3000 Graphics Technology
VGA Output

Motherboard

ASRock H61M-VS

Optical Drive

DVD write speeds of up to 24X and read speeds of 16X
CD write speeds of up to 48X and read speeds of 48X

Audio & Rear Connections

1 x PS/2 Mouse Port
1 x PS/2 Keyboard Port
1 x VGA/D-Sub Port
6 x Ready-to-Use USB 2.0 Ports
1 x RJ-45 LAN Port with LED (ACT/LINK LED and SPEED LED)
HD Audio Jack: Line in / Front Speaker / Microphone

Front Connections

2 x USB2.0
1 x Microphone in
1 x 3.5" Audio out

What do you think?
I know it isn't going to be the best out there, but will it do for the purpose?

Thanks again,
Gary

Better spec than mine and that copes fine with LR3, possible small drawback is only VGA output and lots of newer monitors work with DVI or HDMI

Saying that I use an IPS monitor with VGA and looks ok, could be better with a digital interface, but obviously I wouldn't know

Last edited:
Thank you both for taking the time to reply.
Regarding the VGA thing, would it be an idea to buy a cheapish graphics card to get better output? I know I have read on here that a graphics card isn't used by LR3 etc, but would it make a difference to the image output?
Sorry for the stupidness of the questions, but I am a bit of a computer numpty!
Thanks again,
Gary.

looks like a good spec, the i5-2500k is a very capable processor.

only thing i would consider is the addition of an SSD as your boot/programs drive. presumably its windows 7 64 bit with 8gb memory?

regarding VGA, personally i always find the picture on a DVI connection a little clearer. a cheap and cheerful graphics card circa 20 quid will do fine, then disable the onboard to free up the memory.

What Neil said.

wannabe..

:LOL:
I'm sorry. I've been sidetracked this afternoon as I managed to overwrite my home server config files last night as I was trying to be clever and do stuff without a full config file backup.... :razz::bang:

Never mind, I've upgraded the O/S (my ZFS disks just reimported lovely :D) and have so far got bind, samba, apache and php up and running. Now get the SQL database setup (yes, I have a backup of that ;))

I'm sorry. I've been sidetracked this afternoon as I managed to overwrite my home server config files last night as I was trying to be clever and do stuff without a full config file backup.... :razz::bang:

oops :LOL:

youre, like me, obviously a follower of the "seat of your pants" method of making changes to live environments with no safety net :D

not that ive taken down a production network or broken the live website of a national retailer before... :cautious:

Regarding the VGA thing, would it be an idea to buy a cheapish graphics card to get better output? I know I have read on here that a graphics card isn't used by LR3 etc, but would it make a difference to the image output?

No computer expert myself, in fact quite the opposite, but when I looked into it pretty sure I got the same answer that Neil gave you

Think the unwanted integrated graphics have to be disabled in the BIOS and that's where I gave up and didn't bother

What pc make is this, it sounds like pretty good price for the spec, just curious about the seller/ maker reputation for after sales service etc.

oops :LOL:

youre, like me, obviously a follower of the "seat of your pants" method of making changes to live environments with no safety net :D

not that ive taken down a production network or broken the live website of a national retailer before... :cautious:
Nope. I THOUGHT I was installing the new version to the new disk, but I wasn't.

The idea was to dual boot for a while but I obviously pressed something wrong somewhere...

I'd go for more storage space... 1tb isn't much to host an OS, keep all the misc. junk that we all seem to and RAWs as well.. maybe a small SSD for the boot drive and a 2tb disk for storage..

That looks pretty good to me, well thought out business model. Makes you wonder about self building if like me you're a tech nob.
After the stress I've just had, I would want another monitor port, but I have to say I'm tempted now too:thinking:

Never mind, I've upgraded the O/S (my ZFS disks just reimported lovely :D) and have so far got bind, samba, apache and php up and running. Now get the SQL database setup (yes, I have a backup of that ;))

WOW you have Apache and PHP running - you are a GOD!

I tried a couple of years ago to set them up under XP but could NOT get the PHP include tag to work - god knows why.

Now I just take the cowards way out and upload to my PHP hosting online.

slightly roundabout but keeps my sanity :LOL:

WOW you have Apache and PHP running - you are a GOD!
I keep telling people that but they won't listen :LOL:

I now have: ZFS/RAIDZ, bind, smbd, ntpd, Apache, PHP, MySQL, ftp, mail and git setup. Took about 6 hours in total - a lot of which was remembering how to configure it as I'd done a bad job of documenting it last time I built the machine (it's the only FreeBSD machine here so only been done once before).

I have to say the FreeBSD ports system appears far superior to the Ubuntu apt-get as you compile the code on your machine from known source so have all the correct dependencies in from the start.

As to a Win XP setup, I installed a pre-configured WAMP server which worked well back when I was running XP (64bit too). There's a few of them about, but there's nothing like running your own internal Wiki page to make sure you document things on the internal network :)

As an aside, I've just bought a couple of refurbed APC Smart-UPS 1000s from e-bay. About 1/3rd the price of buying them new and hopefully they will be OK. Just to get a small plug backup supply for the modem/router in the living room and that'll mean the internet will still be operational if we lose power - gotta have the internet!!!!!

Dedicated server room next.............. :eek: :geek:

I now have: ZFS/RAIDZ, bind, smbd, ntpd, Apache, PHP, MySQL, ftp, mail and git setup. Took about 6 hours in total - a lot of which was remembering how to configure it as I'd done a bad job of documenting it last time I built the machine (it's the only FreeBSD machine here so only been done once before).

I have to say the FreeBSD ports system appears far superior to the Ubuntu apt-get as you compile the code on your machine from known source so have all the correct dependencies in from the start.

As to a Win XP setup, I installed a pre-configured WAMP server which worked well back when I was running XP (64bit too). There's a few of them about, but there's nothing like running your own internal Wiki page to make sure you document things on the internal network :)

Er.....WHAT?

:eek:

I would prefer a better motherboard

Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 LGA1155 would be much better to take advantage of the processor.

The i5 2500k is about £165, with this PC that leaves just £195 for a motherboard, hard drive, ram, a PSU and case and DvD drive

Back