Is UK Canon prices a bit nuts (not trolling just an observation)

Name
Vasilis
Edit My Images
No
This is definitely not a troll post, I do not own or planning to own a canon camera, happy with my Fuji setup however I was watching a video on the RP where it was mentioned that the camera can be had for $899 in the US. So I fully expected a £900 price tag in the UK what I found though is that there is nothing below £1k and actually all stores sell it for £1299 to me that is bonkers unless I am missing something? I found it second hand at MPB for 950 but even so...

I know all camera prices in the UK have been going up for quite some time now
again not trying to start anything curious if there is a specific reason for Canon or something

Prices have jumped around a lot. I remember I got the RP and adapter kit for only about £650 from someplace online back in January. Now its about 900!

This is definitely not a troll post, I do not own or planning to own a canon camera, happy with my Fuji setup however I was watching a video on the RP where it was mentioned that the camera can be had for $899 in the US. So I fully expected a £900 price tag in the UK what I found though is that there is nothing below £1k and actually all stores sell it for £1299 to me that is bonkers unless I am missing something? I found it second hand at MPB for 950 but even so...

I know all camera prices in the UK have been going up for quite some time now
again not trying to start anything curious if there is a specific reason for Canon or something

US prices are quoted without sales tax that varies by state, typically 5-10%, so that must be added. And over here, our prices are quoted including 20% VAT.

Amazon.com [the American version] are charging $238.24 to cover shipping, taxes, and fees if you want to buy the camera in the U.K.
So that is still only £915.41, converted from $1137.24.

The $899 cost for the body is a promotional price, I think to the end of the month, but it only saves $100. So vrapan has a fair point about the difference, you can import including all fees due, and still save a large amount of money.

US prices are quoted without sales tax that varies by state, typically 5-10%, so that must be added. And over here, our prices are quoted including 20% VAT.
fully aware but between $899 and £1300 even at current exchanges the difference is quite stark.

Amazon.com [the American version] are charging $238.24 to cover shipping, taxes, and fees if you want to buy the camera in the U.K.
So that is still only £915.41, converted from $1137.24.

The $899 cost for the body is a promotional price, I think to the end of the month, but it only saves $100. So vrapan has a fair point about the difference, you can import including all fees due, and still save a large amount of money.
yes that was were i was coming from, that generally there is a disparity but this specific model as well as the R that I checked have massive differences. fuji X-T4 for example is $=£ which at current exchange rates makes sense given that there is VAT on UK prices and not on the US models.

The Canon R range in particular has always been a significant anomaly in terms of UK price vs what it's possible to get it for via import, more so than pretty much any other gear out there. I assumed they are just pricing it more aggressively in targeted markets to try and get a foothold.

amazon us displays their stuff without taxes but i think this is changing so what ever state you are in you pay the tax extra as amazon can tell where you are located, you are right though its comparable to iphones $999 and the same one is £999 in UK which is ridiculous.

The iPhone 11 64GB (Sim free) is $699 (£563.46) or £729 ($904.62) direct from Apple (it was a random choice).

Apple periodically adjust their prices to keep them 10% over the U.S. price to allow for fluctuations in exchange rates.

£729 less VAT is £607.50 ($753.85), less 10% is £552.28 ($685.33).

And I have definitely seen times when the pound has been doing well that the U.K. prices (with the added 10%) for Apple products have been cheaper than the U.S. ones before taxes.

I do not know how photographic companies price their items internationally, though with camera and lenses you have to also factor customs duty and tariffs into international comparisons.

Back