Scotland Isle of Harris & Ullapool location advice

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I will be travelling up north this coming week on a work trip. I have the mornings at my leisure and want to make the most of the great weather forecast by squeezing in some landscape photography. can anyone give me advice on the best locations to shoot sunrise - best beaches, coastline or mountain views. I am based in Tarbert for 2 nights and Ullapool for 2 nights, the locations would need to be within around 30-45 minutes drive of each

Thanks in advance
Chris

For Harris I wouldn't look far beyond Luskentyre for a beach, and it's within your travel time. Plenty photos of it on Flickr and elsewhere.

_MG_9773 adj.jpg

Last edited:
Luskentyre, Scarista, Borve, Hushinish beaches, salt marshes at northton

All south of tarbert and i think within your timeframe for travel.

Last edited:
Agree about the beaches - they do not come much better anywhere.

For a sunrise shot Scalpay might be useful. It is an island (but joined by a bridge) less than 10 miles east of Tarbert. This gives and idea of what it is like - https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/outer-hebrides/isle-of-scalpay.shtml

From Ullapool I suggest driving north for around 9 miles and taking the road on the left near Drumrunie. There is a car park in about 5 miles, just south of Stac Pollaidh. The walk to the ridge is straightforward and short and gives superb views all directions.

Given sunrise is around 7:30 am next week an early start might catch some sun on the peaks.

Dave

Luskentyre, Scarista, Borve, Hushinish beaches, salt marshes at northton

All south of tarbert and i think within your timeframe for travel.

Agree with Jim’s recommendations above. Seilebost dunes and beach (just to the south of luskintyre) was also one of my favourite locations.

All of the above bar Hushinish are next to each other so you can hit them all in a morning or 2.

Back