Isle of Wight

I'll second the Spyglass Inn.

We said the same thing about Malia in Crete. Got about 50 yards down the main street and wished we were in a LandRover so we could just drive over the dregs. I think Sandown is a little more civilized that that though!!!

Definitely lucky, we've got wildwest week and disc golf championships....:facepalm:

Never been to IoW though, looking forward to it regardless...:D

Never been to IoW though, looking forward to it regardless...:D

Yeagh our first time.. never thought of it before.. was looking south coast and my missus suggested it .. looked around on google maps and yeagh looks great :)

Almost time..travel down next sunday night / well monday morning... silly oclock :)

Luck lucky lucky

its the "festival of the sea" the whole first week we are there.. includes 1700 yachts racing in the round the ilsand yacht race on sat 7th (we have booked 1st to 13th) i was only taking my pocket camera... might take a 1dx and lens haha :) saw the events when we booked but there where no dates.. haha.. nice one :)

https://www.visitisleofwight.co.uk/whats-on/events/festival-of-the-sea

www.roundtheisland.org.uk

Talking of the sea. If you can go into West Cowes and make your way to Beken of Cowes in Birmingham Rd (It's a shopping street). The very best shipping/yacht photographer of the 20th century. Some stunning images.

https://www.beken.co.uk/

Also found a nice beach restaurant in Sandown the other week too: Driftwood. Head for the old zoo and you'll see it propped on the sea wall.

Talking of the sea. If you can go into West Cowes and make your way to Beken of Cowes in Birmingham Rd (It's a shopping street). The very best shipping/yacht photographer of the 20th century. Some stunning images.

https://www.beken.co.uk/

Also found a nice beach restaurant in Sandown the other week too: Driftwood. Head for the old zoo and you'll see it propped on the sea wall.

cheers.. got 10 days so making a list of what to do and see.. its on there now thanks :)

If you like big cats, the Zoo has a collection of rescue cats. Ex circus and similar.

Dimbola Lodge in Freshwater. The former home of pioneer Victorian photographer, Julia Margaret Cameron. Now a photographic museum and gallery.

And if you're a live music fan... https://www.rhythmtree.co.uk/

Steve.

Last edited:
Ventnor and then on to the secret area at Steephill Cove.

one of the highlights of our walk along the coastal path yesterday was rounding a bend and and wham! steephill cove just there... was a nice suprise and a welcome coffee and choccy cake :)

Well, I've been back 3 weeks and I think overall IOW is a been there box tick for me.
I could see me going back maybe for an event or a day trip from the south coast or something but nothing longer.
The ferry faff is a little isolating once you're on the island, the nature of islands I suppose.
It has beautiful scenery with lots of places to visit but I found it limiting in the end, I suppose it depends on what you want to do.
It is, without doubt the most retired place I've ever been, which was actually a welcome departure from the frenzy of our usual destinations.
I think my perspective is tainted a little by not being independently mobile for the visit, faffing about with bus timetables is not my scene and a deckchair on the beach is out of the question.
I'd go again but just for the day, and in a car...:)

I think my perspective is tainted a little by not being independently mobile for the visit

Oh good grief you missed a lot of good bits then ..you would think differently

otheriwse I agree.. its a tick box done that.. Had ten great days.. been everywhere. done loads, had a fanatastic holiday and absoloutly loved the place... of course copping lucky with the weather helped haha.. but its done now so proabbly no point going back.. was a long drive from southampton to accrington daytime traffic but home now... going to do a montage of pics tomorrow to show and bore everyone haha :)

Did Cowes, East Cowes, Yarmouth, Shanklin, Sandown, Ryde and Newport, the Needles, took a boat trip around the docks at Portsmouth, but it was tough going getting around.
My pics need a load of chems chucking at em....:D
I did enjoy it, it was a nice week besides the busarama, I'd recommend the visit to anybody.

Just taking the coastal rd and pulling into a laybye (complete with ice cream van) .. car filthy by this point so windscreen not clear hence the muck :)

iow_rand.jpg

Back