Isle of Wight

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
Yes it's holiday planning time again..

Aftre two succesfully driving holidays Scotland (2016) and Wales (2017) we have decided to try the south coast and then up the east coast...14 days... we will visit some coastal towns for a look round.. maybe a couple of hrs.. someplaces for the day and one or two for a couple of days.. As with other recent holidays the idea is to visit places we have never been before... Thus having been south west we are thinking of starting with a couple of daus on the Isle of Wight... Anyone got anything good to say about the palce ?

I have a soft spot for the IoW as my Nan lived there so had a number of summer holidays there. It is quite dated and basic, but some of that is its charm. Sandown has a nice beach and classic pier. Shanklin is ok too, Alum bay may be worth a look.

From my experience several years ago - Osborne House, Needles, Cowes, garlic farm, Shanklin the Chine.

Plus one to all the above, it’s quaint and old fashioned. Osborne House really is the highlight. It’s a very small island apart from that, so not a massive amount to do, we even ended up going to the garlic farm to kill a couple of hours before getting on the ferry. :D

My partner comes from IOW and when we go down (a lot) we go to Freshwater Downs towards the Needles lighthouse. St Catherines lighthouse near Niton is also good (cracking pub called the Buddle there too). Bonchurch is nice and if you start from the seafront there you can walk to Ventnor and then on to the secret area at Steephill Cove.

If you like towns then Ryde has improved in recent years and is much nicer now. Probably the nicest town on the island.

Also Yarmouth if only for a coffee on the pier and a pretty harbour.

My partner comes from IOW and when we go down (a lot) we go to Freshwater Downs towards the Needles lighthouse. St Catherines lighthouse near Niton is also good (cracking pub called the Buddle there too). Bonchurch is nice and if you start from the seafront there you can walk to Ventnor and then on to the secret area at Steephill Cove.

If you like towns then Ryde has improved in recent years and is much nicer now. Probably the nicest town on the island.

Also Yarmouth if only for a coffee on the pier and a pretty harbour.

It's Ryde we will be based at.. we will be there early monday and leave mid day wed so should ahve time for a good old explore :)

I, too, have a soft spot for the Isle. Most of my family have lived there.
I was down at my neice's wedding last year at the botanic gardens in Ventnor.
What the guide books don't tell you is that the island closes at night, at least Ventnor does! The only thing open was a Co-op :)
Getting to the island is not as easy as getting to almost anywhere else in the world. It took us 12 hours to get from Edinburgh to Ventnor (by plane, train, ferry and bus) but only 4 hours to Barcelona.
The cost of getting there is a bit on the high side - taking a car is not advisable. The buses are infrequent and expensive.

It is a good place to retire to :)

As a kid I camped there with the boys brigade, and also had a few family holidays after getting married (wife & luggage on a motorcycle kept the cost down). 30 years ago it was like holidaying in England, but with everything close together and a bit quaint. Sandown was where we'd usually stay, but Ryde, Bembridge, Shanklin, Ventnor, Robins Hill and Alum bay were all interesting, while Cowes always felt a bit stiff and pretentious. It may have changed a little now, but suspect probably not very much.

Also it always seemed a couple of degrees warmer than the mainland, though whether that's the pleasure of being on holiday or not I couldn't say.

I have always had a soft spot for the IOW too, but it is getting on for almost 25yrs since I last went. Nice to know it is still pretty much untouched. We always used to stay in Shanklin in one of the guest houses or small hotels on the road leading down to the sea front. May just have to revisit the island at some point.

The cost of getting there is a bit on the high side - taking a car is not advisable. The buses are infrequent and expensive.

Wow! I hadn't looked .. gonna cost well over £100 return for 40 minutes ferry in car! But we want to visit everywhere on the island so looks like will ahve to pay....but Yikes! .

Wow! I hadn't looked .. gonna cost well over £100 return for 40 minutes ferry in car! But we want to visit everywhere on the island so looks like will ahve to pay....but Yikes! .
Make sure you get a return - it's like Hotel California :D

The George Inn at Newport was great for a pub lunch. Huge portions and good beer.
But I suspect most pubs on the island are worth a look.

You can get it cheaper if you go midweek from Southampton early in the morning. We normally catch the 6.00am crossing for around £70 there and back

You can get it cheaper if you go midweek from Southampton early in the morning. We normally catch the 6.00am crossing for around £70 there and back

yes this was a monday morning ...driving from accrington north west so probaby mid morning arrive and its 48 there but 50+ on way back later in day as planned...

problem is booking a certain time then getting it right to make a 6 or 7 hr journey.. guessing booking on the spot on july isnt a good idea?

yes this was a monday morning ...driving from accrington north west so probaby mid morning arrive and its 48 there but 50+ on way back later in day as planned...

problem is booking a certain time then getting it right to make a 6 or 7 hr journey.. guessing booking on the spot on july isnt a good idea?

I've never had a problem just buying a ticket when I arrived. They're very frequent anyway.

I've never had a problem just buying a ticket when I arrived. They're very frequent anyway.

good to know.this will be first week in july but thats just outside main holiday period i guess so might be ok.. ta :)

No membership no... Not done Isle of Man yet.. It's on the list :)

Try moving travel times back and forth, also look to compare Red Funnel and Wight Link we have been a lot and you can get quite a bit off various sailings if you can travel at odd times, 1 hour each way can save £30 each way

If you want a decent pub near Osbourne House try the Folly Inn on the river nearby PO32 6NB, Ryde has improved but if you are going on the beach try Appley beach just up the road it is quieter and there is free parking along the sea wall oh and a cafe. Sea View is worth a visit they make and race wooden boats there and a good pub on the front, good for early morning strolls amongst rock pools. Sandown for the pier and sandy beach and don't forget the speedway track just outside Ryde, it is a great evening out if they have a meeting on when you are there. Cowes is worth a visit if you are passing but check when Round the Island race is on as it gets rammed and also will effect travel and cost.

IOW is a nice place to visit but after 9 years we gave it a miss and went to Guernsey last year even slower on the roads, cheaper once there and although smaller there seemed more to do, a bit further to go though.

I live on the Island and the website Hadron has linked has nearly everything you need to know. It is a fantastic place for photography. Seascapes, landscapes and astrophotography if you get away from the towns at night.

I live on the Island and the website Hadron has linked has nearly everything you need to know. It is a fantastic place for photography. Seascapes, landscapes and astrophotography if you get away from the towns at night.

Yep thanks @Hadron and @mogsman thats a pretty comprehensive website. Everyhting answered. we have added another day to the isle of wight as planning the south coast up to skegness for stops we found a day left over we could have added anywhere .... Looking at 4 days/3 night at the travelodge in Ryde ..travelodge .sounds odd to many but for our needs its pefect.. more than enough.. rooms are always up to date.. with ensuite shower... telly and plenty of space...big fan of them and more privacy than a bed/breakfast and we dont need the meals and added extras of a posh hotel :)

taking car accross so can get around everywhere.. prsumably one night we will go out for a drink so following day will be discovering local area :)

Had a bit of a rethink about the holiday... really like IOW now (from what i read and google maps street view haha) and have decided...... ten days on the isle rather than a couple of days and off elsewhere...... plenty of time to explore.. Looking at hire a holiday flat in Ventnore as its the right end of the island for my liking and looks a nice place to use as a start point to discover the rest of the island from or just stay there for the oss day (if had a drink night before hehe)

Had a bit of a rethink about the holiday... really like IOW now (from what i read and google maps street view haha) and have decided...... ten days on the isle rather than a couple of days and off elsewhere...... plenty of time to explore.. Looking at hire a holiday flat in Ventnore as its the right end of the island for my liking and looks a nice place to use as a start point to discover the rest of the island from or just stay there for the oss day (if had a drink night before hehe)
Enjoy the nightlife at Ventnor :D
It makes a morgue look like a rave...

The botanics is worth a trip. Nice tea room there.

Enjoy the nightlife at Ventnor :D
It makes a morgue look like a rave...

haha thanks.. can't be that bad.. presume pubs are open? I will be 62 almost so not looking to go dancing the night away :)

I think the pubs close at six. That's the locals' bedtime :)

Wind up job... done some research. pubs are open of course :)

Get over to Dimbola House and check out the Julia Margaret Cameron exhibition. It’s only a mile or so from the needles and is so worth seeing.

Get over to Dimbola House and check out the Julia Margaret Cameron exhibition. It’s only a mile or so from the needles and is so worth seeing.

cheers.. wth 10 days to play with and not the sort of person to sit on a beach doing nothing all day..intend to see most of the island if not all :)

If you go to the botanics, there’s a lovely little cove down the hill from it. Walk down past the cricket club and down the steps, there’s a little seafood restaurant from memory too (not the cheapest, but nice)

Booked it.. 2nd to 12th july in Ventnor :)

Wind up job... done some research. pubs are open of course :)

The Spyglass Inn is a quirky place. Get's very busy.

I may have already mentioned the Buddle Inn at St Catharines too. Lovely old pub and excellent food then wander down to the lighthouse for stunning views (and photographs too)

Brilliant little museum and eye opening too. Brings a lump to your throat seeing such images from the birth of photography for the hobbyist

If you go to the botanics, there’s a lovely little cove down the hill from it. Walk down past the cricket club and down the steps, there’s a little seafood restaurant from memory too (not the cheapest, but nice)

Steephill Cove. I may have mentioned that too

The Spyglass Inn is a quirky place. Get's very busy.

I may have already mentioned the Buddle Inn at St Catharines too. Lovely old pub and excellent food then wander down to the lighthouse for stunning views (and photographs too)

Brilliant little museum and eye opening too. Brings a lump to your throat seeing such images from the birth of photography for the hobbyist

Steephill Cove. I may have mentioned that too

That’s the one, Iliked it so much that it is still my iPad wallpaper

Untitled.jpg

We went down there last July for my birthday.

I'll treat you to lunch at the seafood cafe she says but when we get there she decides she hadn't bought enough money. Don't worry I say, I'll be happy with a ham sandwich.

Back she comes a few minutes later with my sandwich and a crab salad for herself. Hold on, you hadn't got enough money I said. She said she thought she hadn't but had actually got enough for one crab salad.

It was MY birthday. I almost threw her over the side into the sea!

Back