ISO and the Landscape

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
No
I recently watched quite a good video by a well respected photographer using the Nikon D810 for landscape photography. When talking about setting up the D810 for a shot he mentions he uses ISO100. I just wondered why he would use this setting when the camera goes down to ISO64?

I just wondered why he would use this setting when the camera goes down to ISO64?

The very extended DR of the D810 will not
make much difference between 64 and 400…
so just see as one of the many ways to ac-

commodate your work!

I recently watched quite a good video by a well respected photographer using the Nikon D810 for landscape photography. When talking about setting up the D810 for a shot he mentions he uses ISO100. I just wondered why he would use this setting when the camera goes down to ISO64?

Because ISO 64 is an extended setting and not true ISO 64, all it does is squish the top of the dynamic range of the sensor so you may as well shoot at ISO 100 and maintain the highlight headroom (for example to recover clouds).

There is an argument that shooting at ISO 64 will give lower noise as you have a lower shutter speed so more light will hit the sensor resulting in better signal/noise ratio but TBH the noise floor is so low on modern FF cameras it isn't really something to worry about.

Because ISO 64 is an extended setting and not true ISO 64, all it does is squish the top of the dynamic range of the sensor so you may as well shoot at ISO 100 and maintain the highlight headroom (for example to recover clouds).

There is an argument that shooting at ISO 64 will give lower noise as you have a lower shutter speed so more light will hit the sensor resulting in better signal/noise ratio but TBH the noise floor is so low on modern FF cameras it isn't really something to worry about.

I always thought the ISo64 was the base ISO for the D810?

As I think has already been mentioned, ISO64 on the D810 is native.

Quite new to the D810 but I switch routinely between is and iso o if I want a slightly different shutter speed. So much dynamic range and so little noise with either. I always start of at iso64 for landscapes as this is the best quality. In practical terms when lighting is not extreme I doubt it makes much difference.

Back