Beginner ISO

Name
Amanda
Edit My Images
No
This is something that has confused me for a while. What is ISO, and during what circumstances would you need to take this into account in order to take a quality picture?

My apologies if this has been covered before.

This is something that has confused me for a while. What is ISO, and during what circumstances would you need to take this into account in order to take a quality picture?

ISO means, the sensitivity to light of your camera, which is displayed in a number like this: 100, 200, or 400, etc. the higher the ISO the more digital noise will be introduced into your images which makes them appear speckled- ISO- Aperture & Shutter Speed work together and any one of these can be adjusted to impact/ Affect the end produce- ie the Image

Les :)

There are theee variables, aperture, shutter speed and sensor or film sensitivity (ISO). Alter one of the settings and you usually have to alter one or both of the others in order to have a correct exposure. Some people call it the ‘exposure triangle’ and there should be some articles on the subject.

Each setting has its own set of properties which need to be understood.

Correct exposure is like filling a glass with water from a tap, exactly to the line - not too much, not too little.

The lens aperture is how hard you turn on the tap. The shutter speed is how long you turn it on for. And ISO is the size of the glass. Raising ISO is like filling a smaller glass so you don't need as much water and with digital you can change it at will. This is a major advantage, unlike film where ISO is fixed according to the film type.

ISO is basically amplification, like a volume control, that boosts the signal generated by the light falling on the sensor, effectively making the image brighter. So you can shoot in lower light* or compensate for the reduced light you get by using a fast shutter speed or a small lens aperture (high f/number).

The three key exposure controls of lens aperture, shutter speed and ISO are commonly known as the Exposure Triangle and are all inextricably linked - any change to one affects the overall exposure and has to be compensated by the others. As well as adjusting exposure, the three key controls are central to creative control, particularly depth-of-field (aperture - how much of the subject appears sharp from near to far) and movement blur (shutter speed). The downside to ISO is if you push it too high, image quality can degrade. Good ISO performance is one of the main benefits of high-end cameras with larger, modern sensors.

*In this water/glass analogy, the amount of ambient light falling on the subject equates to the water pressure coming from the mains supply feeding the tap, ie high water pressure equals bright light and vice versa.

Edit: Exposure is adjusted in 'stops' or fractions of a stop. The term 'stop' is a bit of jargon really with a loose historical connection, but it is very widely used and one stop refers to any halving or doubling of exposure. With shutter speeds, the logic is easy to follow with 1/125sec being twice as long as 1/250sec (one stop difference) which is double 1/500sec (one more stop) and so on. ISO is pretty logical too, with ISO100 needing twice as much light as ISO200, which is twice ISO400 etc. Lens apertures are less easy to grasp so you just have to learn that, for example, f/4 allows twice as much light to pass as f/5.6, which is twice f/8 etc etc. The link is actually the square root of two, ie 1.4x with some roundings going on. The full range of f/numbers commonly found on lenses is f/1.4, 2, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22. Also note that the lower f/numbers, from say f/1.4 to f/4-ish, are usually the preserve of prime lenses (fixed focal length). There are a few zooms (variable focal length) that dip down into that range but they tend to be very big, heavy, and expensive.

Last edited:
You might find some of the info here useful but also, while you are new and learning, I wouldn't worry too much about settings, it's all a learning experience and making mistakes is part of the process - so try some shots with higher ISO, some lower etc. and just see what happens! (unless you're shooting film! :D)

As mentioned Amanda by all means read up on the basics of iso but I would not get too bogged down to start with. as to getting a quality picture, that can come in different forms. With regards to how it looks as insharpness, colour, and overall appearence it could be poor, but the actual content can make it a quality picture, just being in the right place at the right time if it`s an action shot, or perhaps you may be photographing a building or landscape that hs been done by others yet because you have chosen a different point of view to take the shot from by using imagination you can end up with something unique that will also qualify as a quality picture.

Back