Issues with 60D and Flashgun

Edit My Images
No
My canon 60D won't let me shoot with my flashgun in manual, it comes up with err 20. Its fine in TTL mode, has anyone come across this before or know what could be wrong?

You have to set your flash in camera settings to manual, what flash is it a nissin (0r 3rd party) or canon,

Last edited:
You have to set your flash in camera settings to manual, what flash is it a nissin (0r 3rd party) or canon,

I didn't realise you had to do that, I just thought it synced in automatically, it didn't need that on my 10D or SX20. I have a Jessops 360 Flashgun.

Looks like this is a known problem with the 60D and some third party flashguns - searching for 60D err20 turns up a lot of hits, but you probably already know this. Can't see many solutions reported that don't involve a new flashgun.

Looks like this is a known problem with the 60D and some third party flashguns - searching for 60D err20 turns up a lot of hits, but you probably already know this. Can't see many solutions reported that don't involve a new flashgun.

I did a search as well before I answered, thats why I asked was it third party flashguns, some say a firmware update I forgot to put that

Last edited:
I don't understand why people need to use a third party flash guns for Canon, the Jessops 360AFD is a cheap way for a flash IMO i wouldn't use any third party flash or Lens on any EOS camera, i use the Canon 430EX II on the 60D with no problems,

430EX £214.95 made for Canon vs 360AFD £79.95 compatible for Canon,

Last edited:
I had this problem with a Nissin Di622.
It required a firmware upgrade. Dealt with by Kenro free of charge with a couple of days turn round - good service. Looks like Canon are trying to do a Microsoft by introducing non compatibility and putting competitors in a bad light.

Edit: incidentally when researching the problem I think I came across someone who had solved the problem by taping over the middle? contact on the hotshoe. I can't find the source again so I wouldn't try it in case something nasty happens :)

Last edited:
Bugger!!

I'm really not happy about that, I was kind of hoping you guys could come up with a work around.

I'm even more annoyed with Jessops selling me this because I specifically told the assisant what it was for and she said it was compatable with a 60D.

Bugger!!

I'm really not happy about that, I was kind of hoping you guys could come up with a work around.

I'm even more annoyed with Jessops selling me this because I specifically told the assisant what it was for and she said it was compatable with a 60D.

Sale of Goods Act, take it back - if you specified compatability with the 60D then they've made the mistake and sold you goods not fit for the intended purpose..

CanonEOS said:
I don't understand why people need to use a third party flash guns for Canon, the Jessops 360AFD is a cheap way for a flash IMO i wouldn't use any third party flash or Lens on any EOS camera, i use the Canon 430EX II on the 60D with no problems,

430EX £214.95 made for Canon vs 360AFD £79.95 compatible for Canon,

A lot of people don't want to pay £200 plus for a flashgun and IMO the AFD 360 does 95% as good a job as the Canon (I have both). That why people buy third party, simple!

BTW I've lent my AFD 360 to a friend who didn't report any issues with this and his 60d or 5d.

Last edited:
Sale of Goods Act, take it back - if you specified compatability with the 60D then they've made the mistake and sold you goods not fit for the intended purpose..

I think your right, I'm going to dig the receipt out and take it back tomorrow. I'm just annoyed its come to that and I have to make an other trip to town and spend £130 extra

I have Metz 45 CL-4 Digital, Metz hotsoe and Sunpak Hotshoe flash all over £140 and not had a problem with non Canon flash in fact I rarely use anything other than manual.

Last edited:

Pokes head around the door... ;)
(I've had a few issues with Jessops - won't use them again).

There's plenty of times you want to use non compatible flashguns, but usually remote to the camera. I have some really cheap £40 yungyuo? flashguns for use manually, usually triggered with wireless triggers. Generally they go onto my lighting stands because if the stands fall, they are £40, not £96 for repairs to a 580Ex2 (yup done it twice), or just placing where I wouldn't want to put an expensive flash.

However they work fine on my 50D in manual mode, but everything has to be in manual - flash, camera etc.

I see to have a large flashgun collection, with a canon 580, 430 and 420 and the two cheap ones. Linking the canon ones together is so easy, using the ettl is a dream.. I often shoot in manual mode on the camera and let the camera/flash communicate the amount of light needed.

If I was just having the one flash I'd probably stick to a Canon one. Time to take the flash back and point out it isn't compatible. I'd ask for my money back and not accept any vouchers etc and go elsewhere.

I think your right, I'm going to dig the receipt out and take it back tomorrow. I'm just annoyed its come to that and I have to make an other trip to town and spend £130 extra

In case it is just a flashgun firmware problem.. take your camera, it might be taht the flashgun you picked up was old stock, and if they have a more recent arrival into the storeroom that one might work.

A lot of people don't want to pay £200 plus for a flashgun and IMO the AFD 360 does 95% as good a job as the Canon (I have both). That why people buy third party, simple!

BTW I've lent my AFD 360 to a friend who didn't report any issues with this and his 60d or 5d.

I agree

I have a 430 EX as well as the AFD 360, and I get just as good results from the £79 flash as I do the £240 flash. I wouldn't call the 50d "old tech" either (and that's not the only Canon body I own or use) and as I say, the afd 360 works on 60d anyway.

:clap: 100% agree

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys please don't let this develop into a battle of words. I'm off out and really don't want to have to do any more thread tidying when I'm back online :)

If you paid good money for a new Canon 60D camera why put a cheap flash gun on it!

I looked into the specs on both and I didn't need the extra range or faster recovery speed that the Canon offered and Jessops recomended the 360AFDC was compatable with my camera so I bought it to save £130. What you have to remember is photography isn't my main hobby its an off shoot of my angling so cost is important.

The updated firmware for the 60D has addressed certain issues with flash operation. I would be looking at this before storming back to the store and, maybe, looking a little foolish!

Andy

May I ask what update version you have I will do mine

The updated firmware for the 60D has addressed certain issues with flash operation. I would be looking at this before storming back to the store and, maybe, looking a little foolish!

Andy

OK done, I really must remember to do this to my sons and my cameras.

Thanks for the reminder we all need to follow......

JR

Got to love the iPhone sometimes!!!

Why :shrug:

Wouldn't have one or any other come to that for free thank you, then again I don't want a pad of any type, don't use facebook etc.

I do have a camera though and a TV but haven't read a paper for 20 years, i'm just old

Last edited:
JSER said:
Why :shrug:

Wouldn't have one or any other come to that for free thank you, then again I don't want a pad of any type, don't use facebook etc.

I do have a camera though and a TV but haven't read a paper for 20 years, i'm just old

Lol I think he was being sarcastic reference the dodgy predictive text as per his previous message! :)

I fall foul of that all time...

odd jim said:
Lol I think he was being sarcastic reference the dodgy predictive text as per his previous message! :)

I fall foul of that all time...

Great minds there Jim 😊

There is a great article on the web to do with the iPhone auto correct. I will see if I can find it!

Andy

A lot of people don't want to pay £200 plus for a flashgun ....That why people buy third party, simple!

This

it really tweaks my nibbly bits when people start going on about not understanding why people dont spend hundreds on kit - recession, job insecurity, not a lot of cash to throw arround etc - it shouldnt be necessary to draw a 'king picture.

that said , i got a canon 420ex of the classified on here for 70 notes , and another one off ebay for £45 so if jessops isnt working for the OP he could still go that route to get a canon compatible (and keep the jessops one to use with a slave unit)

Okay everyone - either back on topic - i.e. helping the OP with his flash, or the doors will be closing very abruptly, without much concern as to who may be in their way...

My canon 60D won't let me shoot with my flashgun in manual, it comes up with err 20. Its fine in TTL mode, has anyone come across this before or know what could be wrong?

Back to the OP - a bit of a long shot but have you tried cleaning the contacts on your hot shoe with a pencil rubber - the one time I had an err 20 on my 20D it was dirty contacts that wus to blame.

once you've eliminated that cause take the flash back to jessops and take your camera along as well to illustrate the issue - it could be a duff gun , but if they can't make it work with any of their stock its a strong case for money back under the SoG act

to EddieBet

Did you upgrade your 60D to verson 109

Last edited by a moderator:
To the OP,

Like you, I didn't want to spend £200 on a flash.

However, I also didn't want to 'buy cheap, buy twice' which I thought was potentially what would happen with a third party flash.

So, I got a used 430ex mk1 for £100 from MPB.

Highly recommended!

(y)

Right - I don't intend EVER having to do that much cleaning again.

Final warning people - ANY MORE OFF TOPIC BICKERING / SNIPING / ACTING UP WILL NOT BE TOLERATED!

Thanks for all the help on this everyone, you have all been really good. I have spoken to Jessops and they have agreed to give me refund so I'll be taking it back when I get a moment.
I think the next step will be to keep an eye out on here of a 2nd hand 430ex or go to flee bay.

Back