It Came Alive.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been going to this spot for about 3 years now, waiting on the right conditions. Previously, the hills have been drab or the loch has been rippling. I'd figured out a while ago that it was a shot for the evening, as the sun sets. The sun has to be in just the right place to light the hills. I also wanted the loch still, so the reflection was complete, the slightest breeze can ruin the whole shot.

When I got there last night, getting into late evening, there was little light. Over the next few minutes though, the hills just lit up, as the sun poked through a gap behind me. The loch settled too, happy days. Watching the hills light up over a few minutes was a breathtaking experience. The sight of a Welshman (me) dancing for joy as the whole scene came alive, must've been entertaining for the locals.

Not as perfect as I want it, I will probably never get that but what a place to keep trying. One of my favourite places to be.

It Came Alive. by Dale, on Flickr

Very nice Dale, your patience finally paid off. :D (y)

I think the only way you could improve on that would be by removing your signature. :coat:

Very nice Dale, wonderful light :)

Thank you, it really was a treat to watch, it was dull and drab when I got there, then this happened.

Very nice Dale, your patience finally paid off. :D (y)

I think the only way you could improve on that would be by removing your signature. :coat:

Thanks. I've been putting the new, fancy watermark central, Maybe I should put it in a corner. (y)

I prefer it a bit greener but this is a very fine example of "the shot" indeed.

Great sky, light and composition.

Cheers Steve, I thought you'd like that one. That light didn't last long but what a difference it makes there.

That's lovely (y)

Thanks Roger.

Awesome shot Dale

Thanks Bob, sorry you couldn't make it.

Very nice indeed. (y)

Thank you.

Not sure what to say, other than .. That's a beautiful image Dale (y)

Cheers Gav.

Excellent, well worth the wait :)

Wow - that could grace anyone's wall Dale- you are so lucky living where you do :)

I'm speculating it would be a nice Winter shot too snow etc ?

Les :)

Wow - that could grace anyone's wall Dale- you are so lucky living where you do :)

I'm speculating it would be a nice Winter shot too snow etc ?

Les :)

Thanks Les.

Yes. aiming to photograph it in every season, although life often gets in the way when the conditions are right for this image.

Thanks Les.

Yes. aiming to photograph it in every season, although life often gets in the way when the conditions are right for this image.
Yes a 4 season print would make a nice wall hanger :)

superb shot! Would love to see a winter version also with similar light conditions

Hopefully, at some (near) point in the future.

Thanks.

It would be trickier - with the direction of the winter sunset it won't come round enough for the light to fall in that way. You would have more joy walking over to the little "island" and shooting facing the right.

Plus, in the winter you can see the road etc through the tree's. It's not quite what you'd hope it would be.

It would be trickier - with the direction of the winter sunset it won't come round enough for the light to fall in that way. You would have more joy walking over to the little "island" and shooting facing the right.

Plus, in the winter you can see the road etc through the tree's. It's not quite what you'd hope it would be.

Yeah, I'd guessed the sun would be futher round and not behind the camera. I wondered would it clear the hills when it set.

It's The Highlands though, might still get a chance this side of summer. ;) :LOL:

Last edited:
Beautiful image. I could roam around there all day.

About 10 minutes later and the light was all but gone. An interesting scene though, better with some snow I think.

IMGL7393 LR CS6 JP tp.jpg

Back