Italian Dolomites

Photographing The Dolomites by James Rushforth arrives next Monday.

I got back from my trip a few days ago. I'll just say that I'm glad I chose the Dolomites as a destination for this year. It is an amazing place to go. So many amazing sights to see. Though the weather this year has been extremely variable compared to what I've read about weather this time of year! I had quite a lot of rain, snow, and sun!

I'll get some photos up soon, but there are a couple of quick edits on my Instagram https://www.instagram.com/h_matt_/.

Nice to hear that you had a good time. We enjoyed being there a few years ago. Cheers!

I loved them. For me the ones worth doing (I am not a hiker) are Alpe Di Suisi and Lago di Braise. Alpe Di Suisi you have to walk a little but no more than 2hours in any direction and its all well signposted. I loved it. The Val del Funes left me oddly cold, the St Johann church is the one to take there, didn't like doing the typical village shot - I didn't feel it.

Lago Di Antorno there is a lot of felling going on so its marred a bit and the Lago di Landro I thought was mega too but the road cuts up into frame and pylons about doesn't quite work for me as a place to just spend time. The Alpe Di Suisi is "the one" for me.

One thing I would recommend (even if you're not going to hike), is to stay in a Rifugio. I stayed in probably the most commercial one at Lagazuoi, this one can be accessed via cable car, and is at the top of a mountain. The food was good too. If I was to go again I'd likely stay in more Rifugio's. Purely due to the locations. I wish I'd stayed in the one at Lago di Sorapis for example!

Thread resurrection

Planning on taking my MG on a month long road trip Sept 2019 taking in the Dolomites and surrounding area to celebrate my 60th

Thanks for the info and I think I will be purchasing that book soon.

One question if possible.

In September will there be some snow still on some of the higher mountains ?

Maybe, if you take out that word "still".

There's no pretty much no chance of the previous winter's snow lingering into September. But there might be fresh snow. One time I went to the Dolomites in late August, and there was a dump of snow on the tops which fell as rain down in the village.

For anyone who doesn't know the Dolomites, it really is the most amazing place. Possibly my favourite holiday destination in the whole world. As well as the amazing scenery, there's also amazing culture. Because of its unique history, it's just like Italy, only everything works. You know that famous joke about Heaven being the place where the mechanics are German, the chefs are Italian, and it's all organised by the Swiss? That's basically the Dolomites.

I was there mid-late Sept last year and had quite a lot of fresh snow. I don't think that's massively common though.

eg.
2n74f8j.jpg

f3gfa0.jpg

2ly5rtv.jpg

Walking around Tre Cime without poles was sketchy. Lots of people falling over on the ice and a few rescues the day I was there!

Back