Italian Dolomites

Matt.

Judge Dredd
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm considering a trip to the Dolomites in September. Can anyone give some advice? This will mostly be a photography trip that I'll take on my own, but I'll also look to get some short day hikes in.

The idea so far is to go for approximately a week, starting mid September.

I am fairly confused by it all as there isn't a lot of definitive advice on locations in the way there is for a lot of other places I've visited. Where should I stay? What are the main locations I should shoot? Is this a good time to go? etc...

Thanks

I am also going for a few days in September.

Lago Di Antorno and Lago Di Braise look the best ones.

Lago di Minsurina and Lago di Landro look good too as well as Lake Anholtz.

I am not into hill walking and would avoid it unless there's no alternative to get a good image so my wants may be different to yours. Plenty of hotels/campsites in the area. Accom won't be a problem.

I'm going next year with my best mate. Can't wait, I've still got to do my research so thanks @SFTPhotography for those lakes (looking forward to the reflection shots) and thanks @Graham Kelly for the name of that book.

From what I've seen so far a lot of roads will give you altitude so getting proper alpine views does not mean a 10 hour hike. We will be flying and hiring a car then camping, hope to get some spring flowers but want to beat the crowds, any suggestions may or June?

Does anyone have anymore info on where to stay? And what some more of the main sites are?

The thing with the Dolomites is that it is an area that is quite spread out. They are several all over the place and each offers varying degrees of interest.

I went last October and found that if going over several days that it's better to split it into two areas where you base yourself.

My current thought is to spend ~3 days in Selva di Val Gardena and 4 days in Cortina d'Ampezzo.

My current thought is to spend ~3 days in Selva di Val Gardena and 4 days in Cortina d'Ampezzo.

You're wise to split it! It won't take long to find out just how BIG an area it is. Also add in some of the driving up twisting mountain roads and you'll see how quickly your day can disappear.

You're wise to split it! It won't take long to find out just how BIG an area it is. Also add in some of the driving up twisting mountain roads and you'll see how quickly your day can disappear.

Most of my trips are to the US/Canada for road trips visiting national parks (21 US national parks and counting). This trip to Italy will be somewhat similar, but cheaper! But the US/Canada trips exposes me to scale. I'm fairly used to long drives at silly hours to get to remote places, and the walking involved!

I'm trying to put together a map of locations for Italy. I'm hoping to book this week. I'm thinking of 14th - 23rd September. This is the end of the season, and some thing will be closing. But it'll hopefully not be insanely busy everywhere, and the weather should hopefully be ok.

I seem to spend half my time in Italy! I'll be there in late October for autumn in the Dolomites. Possibly mid-October for Tuscany. Got a workshop there next May as well as one possibly in October next year.

It's a beautiful country and once you start it's very hard to stop.

With regards to the Dolomites. This'll give you an idea of how quickly things can change.

This was taken around midday on my first full day

14615828_684453911721498_7986017401811660803_o.jpg

And then a mobile phone shot taken about 5 hours later.

14572858_681303682036521_3098775102441813549_n.jpg

I seem to spend half my time in Italy! I'll be there in late October for autumn in the Dolomites. Possibly mid-October for Tuscany. Got a workshop there next May as well as one possibly in October next year.

It's a beautiful country and once you start it's very hard to stop.

With regards to the Dolomites. This'll give you an idea of how quickly things can change.

This was taken around midday on my first full day

And then a mobile phone shot taken about 5 hours later.

Are you able to advise on locations? I'll have approx 9 days, so hopefully a good amount of time. I've been thinking of basing myself in Selva and Cortina.

Hi Matt

Off the top of my head:

Selva area

You’re in the Val di Gardena so it’s already picturesque although maybe a little too much on the postcard side. There are some cable cars that run and if you’re lucky you could get the one that goes up to the Odle range.

The valley that runs up from Bolzano to Brixen is steep sided and has a number of vineyards and castles so it’ll be a case of take your choice as you find views.

Go to the Alpe di Siusi which is the next valley down from Selva.

Next valley down again has one of the famous lakes but the name of it escapes me right now. Certainly dawn as it looks stnning with the mountain backdrop.

The valley to the north of this has one of the most famous views in the Dolomites being the village of Santa Maddelena with its church.

Cortina area

Bigger and grander.

About 45 minutes up north is Lago di Braies which is amazing BUT there is a hefty parking charge 24 hours a day.

There’s also a couple of other lakes you’ll pass on the way so check those out too.

The Tre Cime is in this area. Two lakes on the way up which are picturesque. One big one that has loads of tourist junk by the side but you can get a decent shot. And the other smaller but still nice.

The road to the Tre Cime is a toll road and you cannot avoid paying it as there is a gate. Good news is you can get in, paying the toll, for dawn if you so wished.

Once you get up the top it’s a good 1.5 hours or so to find a spot where you can see them in their glory.

Outside of that I think it’s going to be a case of driving roads and taking in the views :)

Any help?

We should be sending the book to the printers back end of next week. Hopefully back at the end of September.

All the best,

Mick

Is there a kindle version? End of Sept is unfortunately too late for me. Amazon said 4th sept for delivery!

Hi Matt

Off the top of my head:

Any help?

All very useful, thank you!

Do you think the locations I'm considering staying in are ok? Or would you change them? I'm in no way set and am very open to ideas. I have 9 full days, so hopefully enough time (unless it rains everyday!).

Is there a kindle version? End of Sept is unfortunately too late for me. Amazon said 4th sept for delivery!

No kindle versions yet Matt - not until after the first print edition - we are working on over 20 books at them moment.

Amazon got that wrong unfortunately. Keep an eye on our website for updates.

All the best,

Mick

All very useful, thank you!

Do you think the locations I'm considering staying in are ok? Or would you change them? I'm in no way set and am very open to ideas. I have 9 full days, so hopefully enough time (unless it rains everyday!).

From what I know I think they're fine. It's a place that is bigger than you think and so splitting it is a great idea. I suspect you will come away wanting more! I was going to ask if you wanted a chat on the phone as it may be easier. I'm not around though until a week today as relative are visiting from tomorrow.

Friends just back from the Dolomites said the lake they were near was exceptionally low - the jetty was entirely above the waterline. Don't know if that is common across the region but it might be worth checking before making special trips to specific lakes.

Friends just back from the Dolomites said the lake they were near was exceptionally low - the jetty was entirely above the waterline. Don't know if that is common across the region but it might be worth checking before making special trips to specific lakes.

Thanks for this - it's been very dry and hot over there - more than usual. I suspect thats why and thanks for the heads up.

Hotels now booked. Though I hare a spare night between Selva and Cortina. I am thinking of staying at Rifugio Lagazuoi. Dorm rooms only though!

Looks like Autumn visit is getting more plausible now, thinking around mid October for a week and any advise on those dates? Thanks.

Cortina D'Ampezzo seems to be the center location to every top spot!

Uh, nope. If you're wanting the classic Val du Funes then Cortina is a good couple of hours.

Hi Julian, thank you for the suggestion and it is something to consider. Perhaps a breakdown of few days at Val Di Funes and others.

The Val di Funes speaks for itself. It's that classic shot of the church and mountain. There are fact two churches though. One is Santa Maddelena after the village and the other is Saint Johann.

The valley that runs down to Bolzano has a number of terraced vineyards and old castles so they would keep you busy for quite a while. The old town of Brixen is definitely worth a look too with its cathedral and painted cloister.

Does anyone have any favourite sunrise/sunset locations that are worth seeking out?

Does anyone have any favourite sunrise/sunset locations that are worth seeking out?

How long have you got ;) The area is massive and it lends itself to various things at various times of the year.

Lago di Braies is nice at dawn.
The classic shot in Val di Funes can work at dawn and sunset.
Late evening light on the Alpe di Siusi is just gorgeous.
Lago di Carezza is gorgeous in the morning when the sun lights up the mountains

And so it goes on....

st-johann-in-the-val-di-funes-in-the-dolomites-italy-picture-id686956654

Sunset in April

st-johann-in-the-val-di-funes-in-the-dolomites-italy-picture-id686957924

Lago di Braies at dawn

lago-di-braies-in-the-italian-dolomites-picture-id689128185

So far I've put a Google Map together with lots of locations. I've also go some general ideas for each location I'm staying in. Though of course this can all change hugely due to weather.

Current plan it is something like this:

4 days Selva Val Gardena
- Alpe di Seceda
- Alpe di Suisi
- St Magdalena
- Peitlerkofel

1 day Lagazuoi
- Lagazuoi
- Sass Pordoi

4 days Cortina D'Ampezzo
- Tre Cime Laverad
- Lago di Braies
- Lago di Sorapi
- Cinque Torri

1/2 day Venice

I will have a car, so can drive between everywhere, and from what I can see the driving around will give me many photo opportunities. Val Gardena will be using a few lifts, which annoyingly only run 08:30 to 17:30.

I normally visit the US, and their National Parks. Planning that is dramatically easier than planning a trip to the Dolomites! There is extremely limited info online for the Dolomites, and what is online is very basic and missing huge amounts of detail. This is especially true of hikes. Planning hikes in US NPs is so easy. There's huge amounts of info online. Not so for this part of Italy!

Does anyone know what 3g/4g access is like in this part of Italy? Is it present at all? My main use of it would be Google Maps.

I'd be very interested in any general advice to help me along a little too :)

Last time I was there I had my Italian Wind 4g SIM with me. From what I remember there weren't too many problems with signal.

Welcome to trying to find your way around the Dolomites. As you'e found, there is hardly any guides on this place and so you'll be treading new ground all the time :)

Oh, a 1/2 day in Venice? Have you ever been before? If not, you'll soon see that the half day will be practically running around!!!

I'm not too interested in Venice, I just thought it's worth a look at least! So I have half a day of running around. I'm staying on the outside of the island near the station, so can get in and out quickly.

My flight is in the morning, so I'll have all afternoon/evening. I should have enough time to see the main locations.

Does anyone know of any hikes worth doing around Selva?

That looks incredibly helpful. Slightly unfortunate that it's not being delivered a week or so earlier!!

Back