Italian F1 Grand Prix

R

RobbieW

Anyone watch the grand prix today?

Was it just me or did Alonso look a little miffed at the end of the race, and never mentioned the team word in the press conference, unlike Hamilton!

Even Kimi looked happier than Alonso :nuts:

Always watch. Alonso hasn't done he self any favours with the GB fans of late. Kimi only ever has one expression :| and that's it :D Good race though.

more tellingly, did you notice that when Alonso's engineer and RD were congratulating him on the pit/car radio on the slow down lap, he just didn't respond to the congratulations at all! :naughty:

So, are we placing bets now as to whether Alonso will still be in a macca next season, or shall we wait till after Thursday? :rules:

Good race...hope its going to be good news on Thursday when McLaren-Mercedes goes to court in Paris ! Or it will be curtains for them if they lose and that will be very bad for the sport !

Paul

Alonso's just so full of himself.

Did you also notice that he didn't do the customary swerve towards the pit wall to receive the applause from the team? My money is on Alonso going back to Renault next season

Couple of things I've found notable of late. McLaren have these daft "oversuit" things the drivers should put on over their race suits for the interviews, to make sure they look clean, the sponsors logos are all spruce and easily seen etc. I hate all that fakery - show them as they are - but I noticed today Hamilton was wearing it but Alonso wasn't. Had he refused to do that? He's also now showing up unshaven, as Coulthard did after leaving McLaren. A couple of things hinting at undercurrents.

I thought Hamilton was pretty lucky today - a good pass to recover second place, but pretty fortunate to get away with hitting Massa in T1 - not a comment on the legality on it, but since Alonso was penalised for being 200m ahead of a Ferrari last year, it seems amazing to get away unpenalised with hitting a Ferrari at Monza :)

None of the drivers cracked a smile on the podium - The racing may have got a lot more professional and corporate...and maybe that's part of what's wrong with it. We get sterile tracks in new "growth" economies, drivers taking care to say the full team name and sponsor checks as often as possible - yawn. Where are the Rosbergs (Keke), Mansells etc of the world. I actually quite like Kimi, dour as he is, because he's confident enough in his own ability not to dance to that tune.

As Hamilton was in front of Massa I think technically Massa hit Hamilton. Once a car is that much infront of you on overtaking, you have to concede the place and move over.
Even though Alonso went to McLaren thinking he'd be No.1, I can't dislike him, he's a great driver, he showed Schui who's boss twice. I just hope all the Ferrai politics don't spoil it for McLaren and the drivers. I don't think McLaren are cheats, Ferrari on the other hand, well the past speaks for itself (Barge boards over size due to manufacturing error, yeah right). It has been said many a time the FIA is in Ferrari's pocket anyway.

First of all, IMO the only reason Hamilton didnt get penalised for his first corner antics is that we now have 'professional' stewards that attend every race, who will of course realise exactly WHO is this seasons 'cash cow' [within the sport, not just within Italy ;) - me, cynical, no never :whistle: ] and at the same time appreciate that such incidents are 50-50 and happen often in the first few corners....both drivers were fighting hard, racing incident in my book, but I doubt the Italian fans will see it that way.

As for Alonso, a return to Renault may be on the cards, but whether Renault are prepared to fork out what will now be an enormous salary is a matter for some debate, especially when Heiki is now so obviously improving and they have Piquet Jnr chomping at the bit.....the pittance they pay them will leave plenty of spondoolies to plough into car R&D.

I have a sneaking suspicion that both Ralf and Wurz have just signed their farewell cards at their respective teams, and Toymota are the team with the cash to offer the current World Champion, though whether he will accept the car is again a matter for some speculation. Alonso has always sadi its not about the money but about the racing....hmm....thats what they all say :cautious:

...and finally, the cheating.... let me make it very very clear....EVERY team CHEATS....it only makes the headlines if they are caught!!! Ferrari are well and truly on the back foot without Schumacher and Brawn there, and are using every tactic they know to to put McLaren off in the absense of being able to provide a car that can do it on the track. They may yet get their way and they may yet be proved right and McLaren will get everything they deserve, but like many, I find Ferraris 'hurt' and 'pathetic victim' posturing just a weeny bit hypocritical and vomit inducing.

Ok, sorry for going on, thats my ha'pennies worth..... :LOL:

It has been said many a time the FIA is in Ferrari's pocket anyway.

(y) You are right ! This is been happening for some years now ! It's about time the FIA got rid of Max Mosley :razz: and all the politics in F1 !

As Hamilton was in front of Massa I think technically Massa hit Hamilton. Once a car is that much infront of you on overtaking, you have to concede the place and move over.

Well, anyone can brake too late and overshoot the turn-in, and that was the only reason Hamilton was "ahead", but off line for the corner. As Massa took his line for the corner he and Hamilton collided, but very much "racing incident". My surprise was that given the championship position, the Modena notification to McLaren, the past antics - everything pointed to a dodgy decision against Hamilton, but it (rightly) didn't come.

Still, I did have a laugh at Hamilton saying in the press conference that his Dan Dare lunge into T1 put him ahead of Alonso, and he thought he could have passed him until he was forced onto the kerbs - er, really? Every driver talks themselves up, but they tend to keep it within the bounds of possibility, and I doubt anyone could watch the start and see how Hamilton was nearly past Alonso :)

Must have been a tough weekend for Lewis - he was second, but totally outclassed by Alonso. The roles have been reversed earlier in the season, but that must have been tough to watch. Does anyone know how many of the last four tracks he's raced on? I wondered he may not have raced on any of the last four tracks, as they weren't in GP2? Maybe an advantage for Alonso.

How do we know that Ferrari haven't paid off/setup for life Nigel Stepney to setup Mclaren with the 'leaked' documents. Just as Ferrari realise Mclaren are a real threat to a World Title this year, bosch theres a spy scandal...

...because a McLaren employee (and his wife) would need to have been paid off too?

Well, anyone can brake too late and overshoot the turn-in, and that was the only reason Hamilton was "ahead", but off line for the corner.
Surely that sums up 90% of overtaking manoeuvres in motorsport.

What I'm interested in is what were these two men doing talking to Honda. Obviuosly after jobs and in light of Hondas struggling, the Ferrari information could have come in very handy. Not that I'm saying Honda would have known about the info.

Surely that sums up 90% of overtaking manoeuvres in motorsport.

Well, not if you do it on the right side (as he did with Kimi). The Kimi pass was a beaut, and perfectly timed - arrive behind him and make the move immediately, rather than allow time to judge relative pace. Off the start though Lewis was talking about taking Alonso into T2 - now the McLaren is a good car, but unless he was going to fly over Alonso I don't see how that was going to happen :thinking:

Back