Its time to leave my trainers in the wardrobe

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
Right, I'm in my 40's now and after a lifetime in trainers, I feel its time I start wearing shoes or boots and leave the trainers to the youngsters. Problem is I find shoes uncomfortable due to spending some much time in trainers. Can anyone recommend some brands that are geared toward comfort? Hush puppies are the only one that comes to mind and looking on the website they look a bit old-fashioned.

I am 56 this week and still wear trainers. I only wear shoes for weddings and funerals so about once a year if that. Even my safety shoes at work are trainers.

I believe Sketchers make casual shoes.

‘Wellies’ are good. Cheap to buy. Easy to put on / take off. No laces to tie. And when it rains your good to go. Simples. :)

51, still wear trainers, I think I'll be buried in a pair.

Right, I'm in my 40's now and after a lifetime in trainers, I feel its time I start wearing shoes or boots and leave the trainers to the youngsters.
My goodness. It sounds to me like you're ready for these.

(I'm 56, and I generally live in Merrell Moabs.)

//leave the trainers to the youngsters.//

I see loads of young trendy people wearing smart boots and brogues, unless you're talking about 15 year olds ;)

NEXT do a good range of brown suede / soft leather boots. https://www.next.co.uk/shop/gender-men-productaffiliation-footwear/category-boots-use-casual#1_800

I don't bother with trainers any more apart from walking the dog, nothing to do with age, boots generally just look better and more fashionable. I always found trainers tend to get stinky and look tatty after a while.

Last edited:
58 and wearing trainers as I type this.

Reached the big 60 months ago and can't see me ever giving up wearing trainers. Most proper shoes kill my feet.

Ever since I stopped working at 49 like Rich I've worn walking shoes that look a bit like trainers, I'm 57 now and I don't care :D I don't see the point in wearing anything looking more formal although a pair of nice comfy and definitely unformal shoes might be ok.

If I was looking for a new pair of somethings today I'd have a look at these New Balance...

https://www.newbalance.co.uk/men/shoes/

I saw them on "Inside the factory" and fancied a pair as they look nice and well made and they're British too :D

Last edited:
I'm with the other's in my 50s and still wearing trainers and I'll probably also be buried in a pair.
I have a friend in his 70s and he still wears them as well.
Age has nothing to do with it, it's what your comfortable with.
However. if you were growing a long beard and sporting a 1940s style haircut I'd say your too old to be a hipster :D

I still wear trainers (well Adidas Gazelle’s) and I’m 54 in a few weeks. I have some Common Projects Achilles low for more formal stuff but where shoes or boots aren’t needed.

Ewww! I have to ask how you know about them @nilagin :puke:
Saw it on Mail on Line this morning as our work Pc's are on a foreign server they go straight to the US feed. For some reason it is also coming up as a news item on Google on my phone.

I'm with the other's in my 50s and still wearing trainers and I'll probably also be buried in a pair.
I have a friend in his 70s and he still wears them as well.
Age has nothing to do with it, it's what your comfortable with.
However. if you were growing a long beard and sporting a 1940s style haircut I'd say your too old to be a hipster :D
My mams 89 and I'm trying to get her into her first pair. I've seen lots of older ladies wearing them and after a lifetime of hard work, why not?

I'm fast approaching 73 and still in trainers plus crocs in the summer . got some wedding and funeral shoes but that's what there for . comfort before fashion here

Had to wear 'proper' shoes when I was working but wore trainers at the weekend. After retiring I think I haven't worn anything other than trainers, walking boots, wellies or sandals for the last 7 years or so. I normally wear black trainers so they are not that noticeable but I dread the day I'll have to wear shoes again.

Dave

I'm over 60 and wear trainers. Vans, Skechers etc. I still think I'm 18, till I look in the mirror or try to bend down :)

skechers, as comfy as trainers but they do a range of styles

Well I was 85 yesterday and I still wear trainers, at the mo I have 3 pairs all for different occasions (leisure, home maintenance and a pair of driver trainers), I can also second the remarks about Sketchers.

Wear whatever's comfortable - your feet will thank you!

Edited to add the missing "k" in thank!

Last edited:
Ever since I stopped working at 49 like Rich I've worn walking shoes that look a bit like trainers, :D

Actually it was these ^ I meant, Karrimor Bodmins

I thought this thread would be in relation to the time of year and the start of inclement weather.
But no, its a straight to wear or not to wear thing.
Can't really compute that, I wear trainers all the time but at this time of year its about not going out in daft unsuitable footwear.
I'm younger than most of you but I'm drawing the line for trainers about now, I'm not leaving the house getting my feet p155 wet through slipping on my arris on ice or frost biting my pinkeys.
I also don't want to look like a bum in trainers 5 minutes after walking out the house, so yeah, its definitely time to get sensible...:D

I am shoe mad ...and trainer mad i have a pair for every ocasssion and i am 56... I also like good quality shoes i have a few pairs of Paul smiths which i like with nice slim fit trousers and a company i like at the moment are called lanx that make beautiful fitting shoes but at a price my latest were Park tan and finney tan that were £130 great for every ocassion and they look great with jeans especialy levis ..I also have a good collection of sketchers as well along with Doc martins but find these not as good as they were a lot of years ago..Waking shoes and boots are Meindl and Merrel especialy the Moab for canal and low level walking it does help having 4 females around the house as they make sure i can get away with what i wear and keep my in check if i go over the top but i must admit i love my shoes i even have shoes i have not even worn yet especialy from lotus but i get them at retail as one of my daughters works for them ..

I am shoe mad ...and trainer mad i have a pair for every ocasssion and i am 56... I also like good quality shoes i have a few pairs of Paul smiths which i like with nice slim fit trousers and a company i like at the moment are called lanx that make beautiful fitting shoes but at a price my latest were Park tan and finney tan that were £130 great for every ocassion and they look great with jeans especialy levis ..I also have a good collection of sketchers as well along with Doc martins but find these not as good as they were a lot of years ago..Waking shoes and boots are Meindl and Merrel especialy the Moab for canal and low level walking it does help having 4 females around the house as they make sure i can get away with what i wear and keep my in check if i go over the top but i must admit i love my shoes i even have shoes i have not even worn yet especialy from lotus but i get them at retail as one of my daughters works for them ..

I have to say that shoes and boots are becoming a bit of a "thing" for me, though I'll never catch up with my missus, she could rival Imelda Marcos in the shoe department.

These are my favourite trainers, not cheap, but beautifully made and top quality leather.

https://www.endclothing.com/gb/common-projects-original-achilles-low-1528-7547.html

The only boots I wear are doctor Martin's, 90% of the time I'm in trainers, or as we used to call them ''runners' over here.

Don't know why anyone thinks boots are more fashionable, you're just choosing the wrong trainers. I only ever wear black or grey ones, no garish colours, I'm almost 43 but have been mistaken for early 30's on a good day. You must be one of the old fuddy duddy early 40s? :p

Back